New " Rory Gallagher Blues " Chess Label, Thoughts, Reviews

Rory Gallagher's No.1 Page for Discussion.. Topics Rory Related with Respect Always

New " Rory Gallagher Blues " Chess Label, Thoughts, Reviews

Postby vasdis » 10 Apr 2019, 07:03

Has anyone pre ordered the new forthcoming " Rory Gallagher Blues " album, I'm afraid i couldn't resist and going for the 3 cd version always happy to listen to something new by the great man.
Can't wait for the end of May.My birthday is in May so it will be a treat for myself.

Last edited by vasdis on 11 Apr 2019, 06:19, edited 1 time in total.
vasdis
 
Posts: 430
Joined: 22 Sep 2012, 07:23

Re: New "Rory Gallagher Blues" Album

Postby Robin Howells » 10 Apr 2019, 15:30

I pre ordered from ITunes. My birthday gift as well, May 11
Robin Howells
 
Posts: 12
Joined: 15 Aug 2018, 13:42

Re: New "Rory Gallagher Blues" Album

Postby ken » 29 Apr 2019, 05:44

User avatar
ken
 
Posts: 75
Joined: 07 Mar 2010, 08:36

Re: New "Rory Gallagher Blues" Album

Postby vasdis » 29 Apr 2019, 06:31

ken wrote:http://ramzine.co.uk/news/rare-unreleased-rory-gallagher-recordings/?fbclid=IwAR1tuBClQz0Gb4xrFkwUboZuLqDd6I1KSACs1ZaCRtXDvlEz-uNg86fIx1g

Nice i can't wait !
vasdis
 
Posts: 430
Joined: 22 Sep 2012, 07:23

Re: New "Rory Gallagher Blues" Album

Postby vasdis » 19 Jun 2019, 09:05

Did anybody on here buy the new album(s) ? Surprised nobody has mentioned them.
Can't take mine out of the cd player.
vasdis
 
Posts: 430
Joined: 22 Sep 2012, 07:23

Re: New "Rory Gallagher Blues " Album.

Postby Jay Jay » 19 Jun 2019, 15:33

vasdis wrote:Did anybody on here buy the new album(s) ? Surprised nobody has mentioned them.
Can't take mine out of the cd player.

I didn't buy it Vasdis, I just waited until last Sunday got it as a gift for Father Day, from my youngest daughter Kim.
Daniel Gallagher has done an excellent job with the finds and the mixes for this great Rory G Blues 3 disc package :)
Especially the likes of the tracks on first CD 1 like " Nothing But The Devil " As The Crow Flies " as electric and only heard Rory before do them acoustic. Plus love it when Rory does " Tore Down " boogie style rather than usual Blues / Rock style as on BBC sessions. CD 2 Too the contrary Love the acoustic versions of " Who's That Coming " " Secret Agent " Whole Lotta People " and " Loanshark Blues "
Say more about Live CD 3 when I've played it once more.

Meanwhile Rock On for Rory, Slainte Jay Jay :)
User avatar
Jay Jay
 
Posts: 4738
Joined: 07 Mar 2010, 16:03
Location: In Your Town

Re: New "Rory Gallagher Blues " Album.

Postby vasdis » 20 Jun 2019, 06:14

Jay Jay wrote:
vasdis wrote:Did anybody on here buy the new album(s) ? Surprised nobody has mentioned them.
Can't take mine out of the cd player.

I didn't buy it Vasdis, I just waited until last Sunday got it as a gift for Father Day, from my youngest daughter Kim.
Daniel Gallagher has done an excellent job with the finds and the mixes for this great Rory G Blues 3 disc package :)
Especially the likes of the tracks on first CD 1 like " Nothing But The Devil " As The Crow Flies " as electric and only heard Rory before do them acoustic. Plus love it when Rory does " Tore Down " boogie style rather than usual Blues / Rock style as on BBC sessions. CD 2 Too the contrary Love the acoustic versions of " Who's That Coming " " Secret Agent " Whole Lotta People " and " Loanshark Blues "
Say more about Live CD 3 when I've played it once more.

Meanwhile Rock On for Rory, Slainte Jay Jay :)

Very nice too !
vasdis
 
Posts: 430
Joined: 22 Sep 2012, 07:23

Rory Gallagher Blues- Chess Label, Thoughts, Reviews, Etc

Postby RobertaSparrow » 02 Jul 2019, 01:11

Rory's newest release, Rory Gallagher Blues, deserves its own space for comments, reviews, observations.

I just received my copy of the newest set (thank you Jim McClymont) . The selections, the quality of the recordings, the package itself is simply wonderful, one of the best Rory compilations out there in my humble opinion. I know some of you have already commented on it, and I will be moving some of those comments to this heading, only for clarity and ease of reading.

When I opened the set I was overwhelmed. It really is an impressive collection, most of which are previously unreleased versions of Rory's music, interpretations of some of his classics, done in Rory's unique way. It's very much like going to see him perform live. He never, never did any of his material the same way twice. It was always a fresh interpretation in Rory's hands.

We can explore the album in depth along the way here. I just received it, I am still playing it round the clock for now. One thing I noticed, and it tickled me to no end, was that the discs and the LPs all bear the famous Chess Records label. Rory would be so, so pleased. (for the one or two of you who may not know, Chess Records was the standard bearer for early blues recordings. I almost teared up when I saw that, Rory on the same label as all those artists who came before him, the music that he loved so much , and that inspired him, and so he inspired us.

https://www.history-of-rock.com/chess_records.htm

One thing I would like to mention, the packaging is beautiful, inside the cover is a booklet with some photos which most of us have never seen, and some photos from Rory's own record collection of his heros. (I have been wanting to see his personal collection list for a long time)

However, there is literally a lot of material in the packaging. It is rather delicate, my copy has already shown some stress in the glued bindings, and I have heard of two other Rory fans who had the same issues. Please handle the sleeves with care. Perhaps it was just a batch from the factory that was out of tolerance on the dimensions, but the sleeves on the albums, and on the CDs (I received the CDs too :mrgreen: ) both have already shown weaknesses that will need to be re-glued.

If you haven't yet gotten a chance to hear the new album, well, if you're reading this, you're a Rory person, so . . . get yourself a copy, or, borrow one until you can get your own. It really is refreshing. (and Rory in his prime, on those photos . . . wish I had a time machine. :)



and, I don't know this person, but he does an "unboxing" of the CD set. He'll show you the nuts and bolts of the assembly of the set. The person is not familiar with Rory, gives us a coaching on how to pronounce his name. :lol: He also gives a brief view of the earlier Taste box set. He says he's not that familiar with Rory. Boy, he is in for a treat.



Thank you to Donal, Daniel, and the rest of the Gallagher family. You scored a home run with this one. And thank you Jim for the gift of Rory Blues.

Gotta go, Rory's waiting on the turntable.

Post Script:

I was so taken with the LP, that I did not really take a close enough look at the CD set. The CD set contains more tracks than the LP.

If you get the CD set, you get these additional tracks:

Coulda Had Religion
Drop Down Baby
Bullfrog Blues
Blow Wind Blow
Bankers Blues
Whole Lotta People
Loneshark Blues
Pistol Slapper Blues
Can't Be Satisfied
Want Ad Blues
Walking Blues
When My Baby She Left Me
Messing With The Kid
All Around Man
You Upset Me Baby
Come Home Baby
RoryTalking Blues
User avatar
RobertaSparrow
 
Posts: 3511
Joined: 04 May 2012, 23:13
Location: Oregon

Re: Rory Gallagher Blues- Chess Label, Thoughts, Reviews, Et

Postby vasdis » 02 Jul 2019, 06:25

Copies made of the 3 cd set for the car .great driving tunes.
vasdis
 
Posts: 430
Joined: 22 Sep 2012, 07:23

Re: Rory Gallagher Blues- Chess Label, Thoughts, Reviews, Et

Postby Jay Jay » 02 Jul 2019, 14:32

RobertaSparrow wrote:Rory's newest release, Rory Gallagher Blues, deserves its own space for comments, reviews, observations.

I just received my copy of the newest set (thank you Jim McClymont) . The selections, the quality of the recordings, the package itself is simply wonderful, one of the best Rory compilations out there in my humble opinion. I know some of you have already commented on it, and I will be moving some of those comments to this heading, only for clarity and ease of reading.

Thank you to Donal, Daniel, and the rest of the Gallagher family. You scored a home run with this one. And thank you Jim for the gift of Rory Blues.


HI Cynthia,
Did you not read my post yesterday on Sid Sidows topic " Have I missed Something " addressed to Sid & Jim.. To go to the appropriate section " On The Boards " for this New "Rory Gallagher Blues " album reviews?
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=6161#p37873

As I said in PM's to all mods fairly recently.. There is no point having all these different section on this Rory LT Forum if everything is posted in this main section?
I'll try and merge this topic with other topic of same name and subject into this section.." Rory Gallagher & Taste TV & Radio Material..All Studio & LIve Recordings " meanwhile..

Please continue to post all your + internet & magazine reviews of this New " Rory Gallagher Blues" album here in this topic too.. Rock On for Rory.. Slainte Jay Jay ;)
User avatar
Jay Jay
 
Posts: 4738
Joined: 07 Mar 2010, 16:03
Location: In Your Town

Next

Return to RORY GALLAGHER'S ~ TASTE-FUL " LOOSE TALK " MAIN DISCUSSION FORUM

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron