New Biography: Rory Gallagher The Man Behind the Guitar

Rory Gallagher's No.1 Page for Discussion.. Topics Rory Related with Respect Always

Re: New Biography: Rory Gallagher The Man Behind the Guitar

Postby zanny » 15 Nov 2018, 23:02

One or two of the factual details that I assume Donal would prefer not to see in print seemed unnecessary to me. On the other hand, Vignoles has finessed some other sensitive things.
According to the Irish Independent's review, Vignoles' biography is definitive. It's certainly not that. Taking his lead from a quote from Donal, Vignoles sees his own distinctive contribution to 'the man behind the guitar' as coming from his chapter on Rory's lyrics and the insights they give to Rory's character. However, that chapter is one of the weaker parts of the book, in my view. Much of what Vignoles infers from lyrics is already in the public realm, and what he adds by way of his own contextual or interpretive comment is superficial.
zanny

Postby M.felix » 16 Nov 2018, 09:51

zanny wrote:One or two of the factual details that I assume Donal would prefer not to see in print seemed unnecessary to me. On the other hand, Vignoles has finessed some other sensitive things.
According to the Irish Independent's review, Vignoles' biography is definitive. It's certainly not that. Taking his lead from a quote from Donal, Vignoles sees his own distinctive contribution to 'the man behind the guitar' as coming from his chapter on Rory's lyrics and the insights they give to Rory's character. However, that chapter is one of the weaker parts of the book, in my view. Much of what Vignoles infers from lyrics is already in the public realm, and what he adds by way of his own contextual or interpretive comment is superficial.

I think the guy from the Irish Independent read another book, it's not a biography in my opinion and it's a lot to be a definitive biography.

And as I said not a bad book, but also not good, you can read quietly.
M.felix

Postby RobertaSparrow » 18 Nov 2018, 19:54

Jay Jay wrote:I haven't read this new Rory bio yet but I do know Barry "Sinnerboy" Barnes my buddy has read it. He thinks it's not a bad read and better than Gerry's, Marcus's & Jean-Noele's.
Still waiting for the definitive Rory bio from Donal like most fans hey?

Rock On for Rory
Slainte Jay Jay

I would love to see a collaboration between Donal and Tom, Rory’s old friend and roadie, on a book about his life. That would be IMHO the definitive Rory book, and would be a best seller among his fans.
RobertaSparrow

Postby zanny » 24 Nov 2018, 02:20

In the context of Vignoles' book, some very nice remarks about Rory towards the end of this article by Declan Lynch (Irish Independent 23 Nov 2018):

https://www.independent.ie/opinion/comm ... 15147.html
zanny

Postby monty » 01 Dec 2018, 15:11

Just finished reading “the book” I thought it was a good read not a great one but a good one
monty

Postby Jay Jay » 04 Dec 2018, 13:00

monty wrote:Just finished reading “the book” I thought it was a good read not a great one but a good one

Hi Jim, have you learnt /read anything new about Rory and his private life, or on the road with his band that you hadn't heard before..

In this new bio??
Jay Jay

Postby monty » 04 Dec 2018, 20:10

A few smallish things probably,but the book was a good read
monty

Postby RobertaSparrow » 04 Dec 2018, 21:08

I just received a copy of the book, an early Christmas present. (Shame on me, I opened it. :mrgreen: ) I know what I will be reading over the next few days. (and thank you Jim :) ) I will post my book report shortly thereafter. 8-)

Jay jay, have you begun the book yet? And if so, what are your impressions?
RobertaSparrow

Postby Jay Jay » 06 Dec 2018, 12:20

RobertaSparrow wrote:Jay Jay, have you begun the book yet? And if so, what are your impressions?

No I haven't obtained a copy yet Cynthia.. You never know maybe I''ll get one in my Christmas stocking?
Jay Jay

PreviousNext

Return to RORY GALLAGHER'S ~ TASTE-FUL " LOOSE TALK " MAIN DISCUSSION FORUM