Old Grey Whistle Test night on BBC

#1 Rory Page for Discussioin.. Topics RG Related with Respect Always

Old Grey Whistle Test night on BBC

Postby ken » 17 Jan 2018, 18:30

Saw this on the BBC former staff facebook page.
I found this on my Ex BB staff website (TFS)

Quick intro - I'm Ryan, and I'm working on a live one night only celebration of OGWT. We're live from TVC1 for 3 or more hours (we're open ended, just like the original), with Bob Harris back in the presenters chair on Feb 23rd

As I am sure most will know, Rory appeared live on the programme several times, and had a OGWT live programme, re- edited with the extra 13 minutes shown after his sad passing.
I have emailed the producers, and quite a few staff, and the ex head of BBC world service, has contributed his support, who was a big fan or Rory's are hopefully 'persuading' the BBC to include our man. Both the original camerman have added to the page, and included a link to the show.

Fingers crossed, I hope people agree that this happens, I know Rory liked the BBC, not clear wether it is a whole night special or the 3 hours programme.
I will keep people posted if I hear anything, or get a reply to the email.
ken

Re: Old grey Whistle test night on BBC

Postby Jay Jay » 18 Jan 2018, 11:48

ken wrote:Rory's are hopefully 'persuading' the BBC to include our man. Both the original camerman have added to the page, and included a link to the show.
Fingers crossed, I hope people agree that this happens, I know Rory liked the BBC, not clear wether it is a whole night special or the 3 hours programme.
I will keep people posted if I hear anything, or get a reply to the email.

That's great Ken if we see "Rory Live" once again on the BBC after all these years..
Thanks for the heads up and for putting yourself out in contacting your old employers .
Rock On for Rory
Slainte Jay Jay
Jay Jay

Postby ken » 18 Jan 2018, 14:42

Least I could do Jay Jay.

They have posted the link to the show on there website.
In case there is anyone out there who has not seen this, well you are in for a treat.
I get a lump in my throat every time I see the ending credit with Rory putting down the guitar, and the title......
You never know, this might prod someone, Pity, Richard Sambrook is not al the BBC, he became head of the world service, so perhaps I could have used him to use his influence.
Anyway, here is the link.......
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wM7KFFK ... ture=share
ken

Postby ken » 25 Jan 2018, 19:14

Got this reply from the production ofice and as promised I post the reply.......

"As soon as I have information I can point you in the direction of I shall – press releases are due out soon.
Thanks for showing an interest, it’s great to hear that the show means so much to so many people.

A facebook friend also posted that she had been to the Gibson guitar studios in London, and Bob was there, she claimed to know about the show, she is an acclaimed biographer of Bowie, and mercury, and attends such events. Afraid I am out of that 'circle' these days, although I kid myself I was ever really in it!
ken

Postby ken » 08 Feb 2018, 20:55

As promised......
Apparently there is a vote for favourite performance?
Lets hope Rory gets a mention......
https://inews.co.uk/news/bbc-revives-ol ... l-present/
ken

Re: Old Grey Whistle Test night on BBC

Postby Jay Jay » 10 Feb 2018, 12:13

Thanks for the link an update Ken :)

Rock On for Rory
Slainte Jay Jay
Jay Jay

Postby ken » 12 Feb 2018, 10:09

FRIDAY 23 FEBRUARY, Sadly no mention of Rory, But I will be voting for a song from his 'birthday concert' at the BBC theatre.

Broadcasting live, Old Grey Whistle Test Live: For One Night Only (9pm-midnight, Friday 23 February) is a celebration of the iconic music television show that aired on the BBC from 1971 to 1988. Presented by Bob Harris, who fronted the series from 1972-1978, and produced by BBC Studios, the show returns to its original home of Television Centre in White City in a recreation of the programme’s early incarnation for a glorious evening of live music performances from some of the show’s favourite musicians.Bob will be talking to a host of studio guests, from back room staff to musicians who performed on the show and fans who grew up with it. Other former presenters - including Annie Nightingale, Richard Williams, David Hepworth and Andy Kershaw - will also feature, sharing stories of their time on the series. There will be incredible archive footage of some of the best-loved and rarest performances from its extraordinary back catalogue, and during the live programme there will be an online viewer vote for the performance the BBC Four audience would most like to see again.
ken

Postby ken » 19 Feb 2018, 22:35

Here it is, well Rory playing on the OGWT that is going out on the web......
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b013wvyz
You can read all about the performers.........from the link http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b09scfn ... cfour_onen
ken

Postby Jay Jay » 22 Feb 2018, 21:01

Thanks again Ken for the updates..
Will look forward to this turning back the clock of OGWT night on BBC 4 TV 9pm tomorrow evening..
Good timing for when I come home from work around 8 pm :)

Rock On for Rory
Slainte Jay Jay
Jay Jay

Postby Jay Jay » 24 Feb 2018, 11:57

Came home after work last night and watch the 3 hour programme and was really disappointed..

Rory was on in a quick montage of band moments from the 70's.. If you blinked you'd miss it.. 2 seconds if that :(
Jay Jay

Next

Return to RORY GALLAGHER'S ~ TASTE-FUL " LOOSE TALK " MAIN DISCUSSION FORUM