Shadow Play--------Live.

#1 Rory Page for Discussioin.. Topics RG Related with Respect Always

Shadow Play--------Live.

Postby vasdis » 28 Oct 2012, 16:21

Very early this morning on Planet Rocks "Music Through The Night"(no DJ) they played Rory's Shadow Play, but it was a live version i am not familiar with.
Have the studio version on Photo Finish, a live version on Stagestruck(probably my least favourite live RG album) ,still very good though,i think the
Big Guns version is the studio one,which only leaves the Notes From San Francisco live version ,which i have not listened to that much.Tend to listen
more to Tattoo'd Lady,Do You Read Me and probably my all time favourite Calling Card,along with Can't Believe It's True off the first album.
Does anybody know if there are any other live albums with Shadow Play on ?
vasdis

Re: Shadow Play-------------Live.

Postby RobertaSparrow » 02 Nov 2012, 02:57

I don't know if this is on any of the audio disks, but Rory's live performance of Shadow Play on the Live at Montreux DVD Disc 1 is, I think, one of his best . . .

RobertaSparrow

Postby Regina » 24 Jun 2016, 00:22

Also I do not get tired of seeing! pure energy ... I wonder ... how great must have been watching this show ... I think there was not a single person who has not been infected by such discharge .... wanted - of courrrseee ! - to have been THERE! 8-)
Regina

Postby Jay Jay » 09 Jul 2016, 13:38

Hi
vasdis wrote:Very early this morning on Planet Rocks "Music Through The Night"(no DJ) they played Rory's Shadow Play, but it was a live version i am not familiar with.
Have the studio version on Photo Finish, a live version on Stagestruck(probably my least favourite live RG album) ,still very good though

Hi Vasdis,
I have many many Rory favourite tunes.. but I must admit to "Shadow Play" being the most played Rory tune out of my collection. Mainly because I get soo much fun playing along to it on my drum kit in my living room in my house :) I can see where you are coming from vasdis. The studio version on Photo Finish is a great production and balance. I saw Rory play this song many a time live throughout his career. From 1979 to this version here in 1984 Rory always tended to use it as a climatic ending to his shows. You had to be at the shows to appreciate it though as this crowd here do in Belfast :)

IMHO the visual of RORY on stage LIVE came forth before the audio sound at this point. As Roberta / Cynthia's video version shows very well indeed also.. Live from Montreux 1979. When I saw Rory later in say 1988 -89, when his health started to deteriorate. Rory would play this song more mid concert and would even miss out the first guitar solo, going straight into the third verse. As he was more limited physically to jumped around on stage as before. I know he did try again to replicate his earlier show impact, in 1994 at the Interceltic Festival in Lorient France but ironically to say.. Even though it was a great performance audio wise maybe in 1994. It was imo sadly a shadow play of his former performances live physically on stage.

To put it simply... If you want to stand around like Eric Clapton did and get it sounding as the studio version that's what you may get..
Yet at a RORY show he wanted to give it his all :) It is hard to get the balance of sound right when you are jumping around on stage as much Rory did. He must have been a nightmare for the sound engineers...Yet with himself giving those 1000's of vibrant and electrifying performances he would give to his adoring audiences, this seem to matter much more than anything else did at that moment in time :)
Jay Jay

Re: Shadow Play--------Live.

Postby Jay Jay » 09 Jul 2016, 16:40

They're all gems of RORY playing this song LIVE on vision & sound.. Brilliant harmonics on the strat here on this one :)
This is propably my favorite Live recording and the nearest to the studio version on Photo Finish.. with the German show studio one too :) :)

Rock On for Rory
Slainte, Jay Jay
Jay Jay

Postby capo » 09 Jul 2016, 17:33

Your right Jay Jay, this Rock Goes To College version is great. Vasdis, you can buy this version from the "Official" bootleg series boxset G-Men. It's on disc 2 of Calling Hard.
capo

Postby photofinish » 10 Jul 2016, 16:36

Jay Jay wrote:They're all gems of RORY playing this song LIVE on vision & sound.. Brilliant harmonics on the strat here on this one :)
This is propably my favorite Live recording and the nearest to the studio version on Photo Finish.. with the German show studio one too :) :)

Rock On for Rory
Slainte, Jay Jay

It has to be Montreux 1979...the energy is crazy....I love the Belfast 1984 too..trying to contemplate the ending is nigh in impossible....we have both failed miserably at times trying to get the ending at Sinner Boy gigs!!!!
photofinish

Postby ailish78 » 13 Jul 2016, 10:24

The Rock goes to College gig (Hammersmith?) is an overall great concert and Shadowplay does stand out.
ailish78

Postby photofinish » 13 Jul 2016, 17:52

ailish78 wrote:The Rock goes to College gig (Hammersmith?) is an overall great concert and Shadowplay does stand out.

Rock goes to College..Middlesex Polythecnic..Jan 1979
photofinish

Postby Jay Jay » 14 Jul 2016, 09:33

photofinish wrote:
ailish78 wrote:The Rock Goes to College gig (Hammersmith?) is an overall great concert and Shadowplay does stand out.

Rock Goes to College..Middlesex Polythecnic..Jan 1979

Now it is Middlesex University in Hendon North West London.
With all the changes over the years here, I wonder if this Concert Hall where Rory played this great gig still stands??

Scroll down on this link below to see close up of the buildings at Middlesex University / "Used To Be" Polytechnic.
http://www.mdx.ac.uk/__data/assets/pdf_ ... p_2013.pdf
Jay Jay

Next

Return to RORY GALLAGHER'S ~ TASTE-FUL " LOOSE TALK " MAIN DISCUSSION FORUM