Rattlesnake Guitar

№1 RORY FORUM PAGE. For Rory Gallagher. Discuss Rory related things with respect always!

Re: Rattlesnake Guitar

Postby ailish78 » 22 Apr 2016, 07:54

yes I listened to the interview again and I do get what he means. He certainly isn't being complimentary to FM II. What I understand from what he says is that it's like taking a working-class raw sound and turning it into a middle class commercial product, hence Cinzano music. He does come across as being slightly bitter towards FM II but I suppose you have to see it from where he is coming from. I still think FM II are a great sounding band, although I never liked everything they did. I was at school when Don't Stop was a hit and I remember thinking it was a great song to dance to and I bought the Rumours album. Nevertheless, having since listened to Peter Green's FM I, I do think they were better.

As an aside- have you ever noticed how Rory's Cork accent gets stronger when he's talking to a fellow Irishman? The interviewer is from Dublin, so you can hear the marked difference. Rory's accent wasn't strong at all for a person from Cork, but you do hear it more in this interview I'd say.
ailish78

Postby CiaSeattle » 22 Apr 2016, 15:12

ailish78 wrote: As an aside- have you ever noticed how Rory's Cork accent gets stronger when he's talking to a fellow Irishman? The interviewer is from Dublin, so you can hear the marked difference. Rory's accent wasn't strong at all for a person from Cork, but you do hear it more in this interview I'd say.

I know what you mean, Rory traveled so many different places, his accent became slightly softer over the years but would come stronger when speaking to another Irishman. I think that's pretty common. For myself, I was born in the South (Florida) and grew up with a Southern drawl, but after living all over the US, it's gone and most people can't detect it at all. But if I'm around another Southerner (or have had several cocktails) it comes right back.
CiaSeattle

Postby ailish78 » 22 Apr 2016, 17:17

Yes that's right. I've travelled around a lot too and I've been living in Europe for at least 25 years, but I come from Glasgow and whenever I return to Scotland my accent comes straight back. It's funny though. My mother was Irish and I find that whenever I'm in Ireland I sound a bit more Irish. Probably her influence and an attempt to hide my Scottish accent. No one's ever fooled though. :D
ailish78

Postby SUBY1974 » 12 May 2016, 11:13

bronyr wrote:
ailish78 wrote:Yes I had heard this too :D I was actually thinking of buying it because Rory's contribution is really great. Wasn't Peter Green fantastic in the first Fleetwood Mac? In an interview Rory made some time in the 80s I heard him say something like it was a shame what happened to Fleetwood Mac and that the new commercial pop Mac was nothing like the original bluesy one that Peter Green had made. I used to like FM as a teenager and this made me curious. I had never heard the original, so when I went to search out some original stuff I was blown away. This is definitely not the same band! Thank you Rory for pointing me in this direction. :D

I know, me too! I didn't know until, oh probably the 90s, that there was a Fleetwood Mac Mach I. I think I found out because I was looking into who wrote the song Oh Well. I think Rory said something like "I'll probably get knifed in the alley, but.." when he was complaining about FM not changing the name. I like "both" bands very much, but prefer the original. Peter is right up there, for me, with Ry, Rory, Jimmy, Jimi, and Django.

I do have some Fleetwood Mac CD from the original band to the "newer" band and there is a difference . I agree with Rory on this. I will.comment further another time. Subrata.x
SUBY1974

Postby RobertaSparrow » 12 May 2016, 18:19

SUBY1974 wrote:
bronyr wrote:
ailish78 wrote:Yes I had heard this too :D I was actually thinking of buying it because Rory's contribution is really great. Wasn't Peter Green fantastic in the first Fleetwood Mac? In an interview Rory made some time in the 80s I heard him say something like it was a shame what happened to Fleetwood Mac and that the new commercial pop Mac was nothing like the original bluesy one that Peter Green had made. I used to like FM as a teenager and this made me curious. I had never heard the original, so when I went to search out some original stuff I was blown away. This is definitely not the same band! Thank you Rory for pointing me in this direction. :D

I know, me too! I didn't know until, oh probably the 90s, that there was a Fleetwood Mac Mach I. I think I found out because I was looking into who wrote the song Oh Well. I think Rory said something like "I'll probably get knifed in the alley, but.." when he was complaining about FM not changing the name. I like "both" bands very much, but prefer the original. Peter is right up there, for me, with Ry, Rory, Jimmy, Jimi, and Django.

I do have some Fleetwood Mac CD from the original band to the "newer" band and there is a difference . I agree with Rory on this. I will.comment further another time. Subrata.x

Rory and Peter Green both shared the same love for the blues, and both displayed that passion in their playing. Early Fleetwood Mac reflected that-

Peter Green's Fleetwood Mac- Rattlesnake Shake

Rory does Peter Green-

Peter Green really liked Rory's interpretation. And listen to Rory's voice and his guitar weeps for him.

Cinzano Music ;)

I agree with Rory, they should have changed the name. Us die-hard Fleetwood Mac fans were confused. :lol: I was given a copy of the newer album when it came out, and nearly got whiplash from looking back and forth from that album to Then Play On, and thinking, "this cannot be the same band."
RobertaSparrow

Postby willie the pimp » 13 May 2016, 18:43

bronyr wrote:
CiaSeattle wrote:I certainly agree with Rory when he said they should have changed the name once the band went in a direction so far removed from the original when they added Nicks and Buckingham. Mick Fleetwood and John McVie had both played with John Mayall & the Bluesbreakers, and Chrstine McVie (prior to marrying McVie, she was Christine Perfect) was with Chicken Shack so the three of them all had some solid blues credentials, the switch to commercial was quite a surprise to fans of the original band.

Speaking of Chicken Shack, I think guitarist Stan Webb is a fine player and deserves a bit more recognition. If you've not heard him, here's a link. I'm curious to hear what other Rory fans think.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F44obboXIWE

I was just listening to "I'd Rather Go Blind" yesterday. They were a great band. CiaSeattle, that drumming in Sweetest Little Thing sounds a bit like Fleetwood himself. Do you know who's drumming? Great stuff.

The song is from the album Changes released in 1991, and the drummer is Keith "Bev" Smith who sadly died in 2007. Amongst other bands, he played with Robert Plant's Honeydrippers.
willie the pimp

Previous

Return to • RORY GALLAGHER • TASTE•FUL • HOMEPAGE