New Article about Rory's Festival in Ballyshannon

Rory Gallagher's No.1 Page for Discussion.. Topics Rory Related with Respect Always

New Article about Rory's Festival in Ballyshannon

Postby RobertaSparrow » 27 Apr 2016, 00:37

I'm putting this here for now, an interesting read, but will likely move it either to articles or festivals later on. Enjoy-

http://wildwestrocks.com/2016/04/16/rory-gallagher-and-the-rory-gallagher-festival/
RobertaSparrow

Re: New Article about Rory's Festival in Ballyshannon

Postby bronyr » 27 Apr 2016, 04:42

RobertaSparrow wrote:I'm putting this here for now, an interesting read, but will likely move it either to articles or festivals later on. Enjoy-

http://wildwestrocks.com/2016/04/16/rory-gallagher-and-the-rory-gallagher-festival/

Thanks a lot, Cynthia, this is great! I hadn't seen that photo of Rory with Eric Bell before, either. Also that thing about Rory being booed when he was on tour with Rush surprised me. I knew the Rush audiences were ambivalent about him, but booing - Oy. :roll:
bronyr

Postby ailish78 » 27 Apr 2016, 08:15

Thanks for this article Cynthia. That's a really good article. I was about to write the exact same as Bronyr. I didn't know Rory was booed by the Rush fans! How could they? I wonder how he felt about that? It must have been very hurtful considering how much he was celebrated everywhere else he played. Like the author of the article says, I wonder if those fans are regretting that now? I'd forgotten all about Eric Bell. Isn't he interviewed on one of the documentaries about Rory?
ailish78

Postby RobertaSparrow » 27 Apr 2016, 15:54

I never was a big Rush fan, all their music sounds the same to me. I had heard that story before, that Rory was not appreciated by Rush's fans when he opened for them. I'm wondering if that was at one venue in particular or if it was a pattern with Rush's fans. In Canada they were (are?) wildly popular, sort of a national pride kind of thing. Perhaps those were the hostile audiences in question. I know that every time I saw Rory it was in Southern California, and the crowds loved him- there were always lines of people waiting to get in and the shows were sold out, and even where he was sharing the bill with another artists, he was always enthusiastically received.
RobertaSparrow

Postby Sid_Sidow » 28 Apr 2016, 01:27

I find it quite interesting....
I saw a documentary on Rush on US television and in one video clip where they were talking about touring the US they showed a poster/playbill of somewhere and it even showed Rory as the opening act!! Sure caught my attention!

Never hear of ANYONE booing Rory (for shame) BUT Rush fans are quite fanatical and just wanted to see there guys I'm sure!!
Thanks!! ss

"I'm the last of the Independants, the syndicate, they don't approve"
Sid_Sidow

Return to RORY GALLAGHER'S ~ TASTE-FUL " LOOSE TALK " MAIN DISCUSSION FORUM