"that book"

Do you read me, well won't you tell me? If you read me, then please believe me, when I say

Re: "that book"

Postby CiaSeattle » 23 Feb 2016, 17:03

Well, I have finally read the book, thanks to the kindness and generosity of another Rory fan, who not only refused to accept any money for it, but took the time and trouble to send it to me from overseas. Not sure yet if I want to post an opinion, the subject seems so polarizing.
CiaSeattle

Postby RobertaSparrow » 25 Feb 2016, 21:40

Jay Jay wrote:
JimLED wrote:I bought this book a way back when it was $44 at german eBay.

In hindsight now finding out about the wrongful information in the book. I would not have payed $4 for this book.. that Donal referred to as Riding Roughshod with the first editions.
Gerry did apologies though to Donal for the wrongful information a few years later..
For some of the embarrassing mistakes Mr Crisp put incorrectly in the book :(

Don't know if the mistakes have been omitted in later editions????

As far as I have been able to find, there has only been the one original edition, although there is a German translation. There have never been any corrections or apologies made, at least in print. The most troubling aspect to the book is it seems to have been so broadly accepted by many fans as the definitive word about Rory, apparently because Gerry had a longer association with Rory than most of his hired hands, and I think that is unfortunate to say the least.

My favorite Rory book to date is the the Muise book, Gallagher, Marriott, Derringer, Trower: Their Lives and Music. I do so look forward to Donal's book, hopefully that will be released soon. :mrgreen:
RobertaSparrow

Postby M.felix » 25 Feb 2016, 23:47

unfortunately can not really pretend that the book exists especially now that he came to be sold at a very opportune time as it were, well he did not write for money and that copies appeared out of nowhere, I agree with you Roberta about the most fans fancy the book especially new fans and I'm happy for CiaSeatle have got a copy of it, no such luck, my copy is digital and German and do not speak a word of German! the version in English was very expensive at the time, the price fell much more still is expensive will expect a settlement if the price does not rise again.
M.felix

Postby M.felix » 25 Feb 2016, 23:55

:?: on errors in the book, I blame the wrong Crisp for it and as I said Gerry really meant what is in the book and only spoke the truth
M.felix

Postby CiaSeattle » 10 Apr 2016, 17:25

I've read and re-read Gerry's book a few times now. To be honest, I can't think of anything to say that would compare with mattydred's brilliant earlier post, which I wholeheartedly agree with. But here's my humble opinion, for what it's worth.

After reading so much about the book, I decided to approach it with an open mind, and also reminding myself that this was Gerry's autobiography, not a Rory biography. I really did enjoy reading about Gerry growing up in Belfast, and learning about some of the early musicians that I was unaware of like Sam Mahood. It was quite fun to Google some of those names and find out more about them, plus some of them are on youtube as well.

As far as the rest of the book, as others have said it could have really used a good editor and fact checking. Like someone to tell Gerry "stop whining about money, it makes you sound petty". And the part about Rory saying Gerry was a better brother to him, well if Rory did say it, it didn't bear repeating. To be honest, some of the inaccuracies regarding dates and such really weren't as important to me, and as another poster mentioned, who cares if Ted's pants were too large or too small. BTW, the youtoube video of Ted telling the story is hilarious, here's the link if you've not already seen it: https://youtu.be/9PJ6FgZ9tJ8

Overall I found it to be a fairly interesting read, not nearly as bad as I thought it would be. Some of the stories and anecdotes are very funny. I felt Gerry really did respect and care about Rory, even if it didn't always come through in some parts. There were some things he said I found quite touching, some extremely annoying, and some rather insightful. When speaking about Rory's singing "...I always felt that he sang like a guitar", I thought that was spot on. So, bottom line for me...I would recommend it to a new Rory fan. Just take it with a grain of salt, and remember this is just one man's recollections of how things were. If any of you new fans are unable to find the book, PM me.
CiaSeattle

Postby AnnaMaria » 15 Apr 2016, 18:51

Glad you liked to read the book. So did I. With a pinch of salt ofcourse. It was a Little difficult to read german but ok.
AnnaMaria

Postby kellys » 04 May 2016, 05:22

I found this book about a week ago while browsing through a used book store, 9 dollars for the hardcover. When I saw " on the road with Rory Gallagher" I did get pretty darn excited and of course bought it on the spot. I had never heard of the book and was unaware of the controversy. I read it over the last weekend. I have mixed feelings about it. I enjoyed reading about their life on the road, recording and the various people involved with Rory. I don't know much about the scenario to judge what was accurate and what wasn't. What I didn't like was the complaining, the self importance and the way Gerry left. I'm pretty sure if he had never hooked up with Rory, Gerry's life would have been quite different. . For 20 years he had a chance to travel the world and make music with one of the greatest artists ever in popular music and earn a reasonable living.. What an experience that must have been and what a way to spend your youth. Beats being a plumber.
kellys

Postby Sid_Sidow » 08 May 2016, 17:12

What I didn't like was the complaining, the self importance and the way Gerry left. I'm pretty sure if he had never hooked up with Rory, Gerry's life would have been quite different. For 20 years he had a chance to travel the world and make music with one of the greatest artists ever in popular music and earn a reasonable living

Nicely stated!! Could not agree with you more.
These were my exact thoughts as I read it......
Thanks!! ss

"I'm the last of the Independants, the syndicate, they don't approve"
Sid_Sidow

Previous

Return to Books and Biographies. Articles and Magazines