Rory and Gerry / RG Band members together again

№1 RORY FORUM PAGE. For Rory Gallagher. Discuss Rory related things with respect always!

Rory and Gerry / RG Band members together again

Postby M.felix » 09 Feb 2016, 15:14

I was thinking of something and wanted the views of forum members Rory alive think he would call Gerry to play with him again? I speak based on what he said in the book and the tribute band he put together, but for me is it a tribute band
M.felix

Re: Rory and Gerry / RG Band members together again

Postby Jay Jay » 09 Feb 2016, 16:09

IMHO, if Rory could come back to us. He'd be probably more likely to call some of the old Taste members first of all.

Especially after the great success of TASTE live @ The IOW and I'll Remember releases :) :)
Jay Jay

Re: Rory and Gerry together

Postby CiaSeattle » 09 Feb 2016, 17:02

Not if he'd read the book!

Seriously though, I think JayJay is probably as right as one can get, being that no one really knows what went on in Rory's head. I do recall reading somewhere that he considered John Wilson when putting together his last lineup. On the flip side, he did seem to never look back with regard to former bandmates. I believe he did work with Lou Martin again though, is that correct?
CiaSeattle

Postby SUBY1974 » 09 Feb 2016, 18:03

Lou Martin was invited by Rory to play on the Defender album in 1987 and on Fresh Evidence. Subrata.x
SUBY1974

Postby RobertaSparrow » 09 Feb 2016, 18:28

CiaSeattle wrote:Not if he'd read the book!

Seriously though, I think JayJay is probably as right as one can get, being that no one really knows what went on in Rory's head. I do recall reading somewhere that he considered John Wilson when putting together his last lineup. On the flip side, he did seem to never look back with regard to former bandmates. I believe he did work with Lou Martin again though, is that correct?

Hi CiaSeattle,

Yes, Rory and Lou did work together again, Lou Martin was featured on Piano on Rory's album Fresh Evidence. Lou Martin by all accounts had a great deal of respect for Rory, and from everything I have read and heard, the feeling was mutual.

And no, my personal opinion would be that Rory would not likely seek out Gerry as a musician.
RobertaSparrow

Postby M.felix » 09 Feb 2016, 18:29

fact is that Gerry has not had a successful career when he left Rory and the proof is Band of friends and their complaints but Rory was not a man who was looking back toward bandmates. I know it was understood with the guys from Taste and read somewhere that the other two wanted to return but he did not think to Rory Taste was a dead issue.
M.felix

Postby M.felix » 09 Feb 2016, 18:41

Lou participated in these two albums, but not in their tour, the career of Rory in the 80s was not good himself recognizes this, the 90s was best for him, despite his fragile health. I'm thinking of Rory's reaction reading the book and the things Gerry talks about it; if Rory was alive did the book exist?
M.felix

Postby Jay Jay » 09 Feb 2016, 18:43

M.felix wrote:I know it was understood with the guys from Taste and read somewhere that the other two wanted to return but he did not think to Rory Taste was a dead issue.

That was 25 years ago. Where John Wilson wanted a reunion of Taste to play one time in Belfast at H&W where the Titanic was built...
You are asking this question in the present. A lot has happened since that. Like i said with the great success of TASTE Live @ The Isle of Wight film & album. Plus with reunion of Donal Gallagher and John Wilson at a film Premiere of this. I'm sure Rory would approve.
Jay Jay

Postby Jay Jay » 09 Feb 2016, 18:51

M.felix wrote:I'm thinking of Rory's reaction reading the book and the things Gerry talks about it; if Rory was alive did the book exist?

That's obvious.. That book would not exist.. neither would BOF's
Jay Jay

Postby RobertaSparrow » 09 Feb 2016, 18:52

M.felix wrote:fact is that Gerry has not had a successful career when he left Rory and the proof is Band of friends and their complaints but Rory was not a man who was looking back toward bandmates. I know it was understood with the guys from Taste and read somewhere that the other two wanted to return but he did not think to Rory Taste was a dead issue.

This is apt to stir controversy, but Gerry has been riding Rory's coattails for a long time now, if Rory had recovered from the surgery and regained his good health I seriously doubt that he would have looked back, gone back to work with Gerry. I think he would probably have moved forward, perhaps done more acoustic music, and would quite possible have seen a revival in his work, since the music always seems to come back to its roots.

I think he would have been sought out by younger musicians who, knowingly or not, have come up under Rory's shadow of influence. Musicians like Jack White, or the Black Keys, Radio Moscow, Hanni El Khatib, Dead Weather, etc.

Rory didn't seem to be one to live in the past. He honored the past, stayed true to the roots of blues, but he IMO was always looking forward, musically. Always growing, and evolving. And he had an open mind to new ideas. Plus, I think he would love this trend of a return to less processed, less digitized music.

Yes, I think he would have been sought out by these younger, upcoming musicians. And Band of Friends would not exist.

Jack White

Black Keys

Hanni Al Katabi

Radio Moscow
RobertaSparrow

Next

Return to • RORY GALLAGHER • TASTE•FUL • HOMEPAGE