Saint Olivers Cemetery

Rory Gallagher's No.1 Page for Discussion.. Topics Rory Related with Respect Always

Saint Olivers Cemetery

Postby mac » 06 Jan 2016, 00:30

I was in west Cork this week with work and on the way back decided to go and visit Rorys grave.
It's the first time I was there and had to ask one of the lads working there where it was, " follow that path there on the left down to the end and you'll find Rory on your right ."
I'm glad I dropped in, but I did find it very sad to be there.
mac

Re: Saint Olivers Cemetery

Postby RobertaSparrow » 06 Jan 2016, 22:26

I was there this past June. I had planned to visit there for years, and its an odd thing, but when I finally got out of the car, I followed the path straight to his resting place. I didn't need to ask anyone. It felt like I was following the steps of all Rory's family, friends, and fans that had already been. It was sunny and very peaceful there. I left him some flowers, a little solar lantern to light the night, and a little bottle of Jack Daniels, a gift from us, his American fans.

I would like to go back to visit again someday, if the stars align for me again. :)
RobertaSparrow

Postby Lee61 » 09 Jan 2016, 09:52

I visited St Oliver's in October 2015 and it was exactly the same feeling as you had Cynthia, I found my way like I already knew where to go, very strange!
There was no one else in the entire cemetery...It was a sad place, with Rory buried beside his mum.
Lee61

Postby Sid_Sidow » 10 Jan 2016, 00:24

Visited there on my own "Irish Tour '13"
My first tour of Ireland with my son.

Was very moved, humbled visiting......
http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_R ... _Cork.html
Thanks!! ss

"I'm the last of the Independants, the syndicate, they don't approve"
Sid_Sidow

Postby mac » 10 Jan 2016, 15:25

A few thoughts on my visit ,
I think to us here , Rory is very much alive and we see him everyday via you tube , so to confront the reality is hard.
Am I a nut , to feel grief for someone that I never met ? I don't think so , Rory's music has been in my life since I was 14 and I'm now 50 .
I started thinking , should the grave be bigger , stand out more and then I thought , no its just right laid among the ordinary people of Cork.
I also thought it would be a lovely place for a group of long haired teenagers to hang out on a summers night and play a few tunes on guitar .
The intro from edged in blue kept coming into my head , so when I got home I went out to my practice room and wacked it out very loudly on guitar.
Didn't se your bottle of JD roberta , there was a Christmas wreath there and a red candle lantern with a picture of Rory on it.
A lot of guitar picks , I saw one that was signed by someone from Japan.
mac

Postby SUBY1974 » 15 Jan 2016, 12:16

First time I went in 2011 it was emotional, but afterwards I found Rory's and his mum's resting place very peaceful. Lots of fans visit.The views of Ballincollig hills are very beautiful, very Ireland. For me,seeing Rory's resting place is different. I never met him, saw him in concert or spoke to him. It is lucky we have all his DVDs and recordings for future fans to look at. For those who did see him when he was alive, they will have different feeling. They will look back on their memories of him. For me and Susie , it will mean going through his interviews, DVD recordings, music CDs and peoples memories of him. I just feel sad that I never got to see him in concert or meet him. I also feel sad that had he been alive, what would he be doing now with his incredible creativity? What have we lost? But what he left to us, means his legacy must continue. He died too young.We can't bring him back or go back in time and help him. All we can do is move forward. I truly believe his spirit is with us all and is guiding us. I do have dreams of him :D. I hope we will all see him one day. He will live on through his music , memories and in people's hearts. Subrata.x

Susie and I do love sitting with him in Ballincollig. Its great to talk to him. I can see from some of the pictures, some of my framed photos of Rory is still . there. I have taken loads of gifts :- aftershave, a checked red shirt, a slide, guitar picks etc. I have been 6 times now and hope to go this year. There are some literature events in Cork, so it will tie in nicely. I love Ireland since 2000, long before I knew of Rory. I love the Irish culture, art, community and family feeling, strong work ethic and spirituality. With Susie becoming a mum now, we will go to the Rory music festivals in a few years time.
SUBY1974

Return to RORY GALLAGHER'S ~ TASTE-FUL " LOOSE TALK " MAIN DISCUSSION FORUM