TASTE - LIVE @ ISLE Of WIGHT Film Premiere & Reviews

Who's that calling way out there? I've got your signal loud and clear

Re: TASTE - LIVE @ ISLE Of WIGHT Film Premiere & Reviews

Postby SUBY1974 » 25 Sep 2015, 13:01

Rory heroes of the hippies. I like that! :mrgreen:
SUBY1974

Re: Review of Whats Going On IOW DVD

Postby RobertaSparrow » 25 Sep 2015, 15:25

capo wrote:First time I ever heard or read Rory called a "Hippy"! :lol: Suby will be pleased!

I always thought of him as a hippy. But I think maybe it is the way I saw hippies. Hippies are (were?) staunchly non-conformist. Especially in the way they dress. They dress how they feel, and not how everyone else thought you should dress. And their focus is somewhat shifted away from the material things. It depends on how you define hippie. They were the ones you always saw that were more focused on drawing, playing music, writing, making something and putting themselves into it.

Yes, if I had seen someone like Rory walking down the street back in the day, I would have seen a hippy. And I mean that as a compliment. :)
RobertaSparrow

Postby capo » 25 Sep 2015, 17:42

Your right Cynthia. He was a non conformist. Donal tells how Rory took alot of crap and abuse from even people on the streets about his long hair. He was beaten by the Brothers for playing the "Devils" music. He was a free spirit in his own way. He may not have had flowers in his hair, but he followed his own path.
capo

Postby RobertaSparrow » 25 Sep 2015, 17:44

capo wrote:My review. Stream of consciousness style. First impression: Oh My God! Second impression: same as first. Rory, painfully thin. Intense. Hair. Alot of hair. Sweat. During solos, in another sphere. At times, eyes roll in back of his head. Is he even touching the stage? So inside of himself, forgets huge crowd of eyes on him. Where does he go, consciously at times? So close to John Wilson at times, his wet hair touches Wilson's highhat! And Wilson? Also in his own world of his making. Rarely making eye contact with Rory, but always intune where Rory is going. Real anger at times when he hits those skins. Intense. Richard McCracken? A freakin beast on Bass. Kept trying to see if his fingers were bleeding. Yes. Intense too. No other word to describe it. No feel good vibe here. Three great musicians, no longer friends, in a world of their own making. Did they even notice the cameras? Catfish Blues. Stunning. The improvisation? Ornette Coleman would be proud. They left it all out on that stage.Sublime. Sometimes the chase is greater then the catch. Not this time. Forty Five years! Yes. It was worth the wait. Oh My God! Fin.

I concur, I do, but wait there's more :lol: My impression of their performance, the crowd has no idea of the intense breakup these three musicians have just gone through, but with the benefit of hindsight we know. It's an intense relationship that the people involved in thought would last, and they have the breakup fight in the van on the way to this very important public performance. And they walk on stage in the midst of that intense cloud of passion following them: anger, sadness, grief, hurt, combine that with the creative drive that brought them all together in the first place, add to that the intensity, the emotional feedback of that crowd, almost a rage, channeled into that performance. At times they barely look at each other, but then Rory will move right into the space of John or Richard, and that white hot spark of creativity would arc between them.

And Catfish, when Rory calls out to the other two, and they join in that intense jam. Intense passion fueled by the audience. That intensity, it can't be adequately described on these pages.

It is like the intensity between two people in a romantic relationship, making a sudden, intense, extremely bittersweet decision to break up, where the wounds are laid bare, but they are going to present themselves to the world as "there is nothing wrong," at least for that moment, but that intensity has to be directed somewhere, and it goes into the music.

Amazing.

And this movie is about the best representation of Rory and what it was like to see him play. Why it is that we who saw him play can never forget what it was like. He lived to play music, and to watch him, you could feel that music flow out of him through the guitar. He plays as thought the guitar isn't really there as a separate thing- he barely looks at it. He just makes it cry for him, all the pain and anger, the grief and rage that he must have felt.

A while back we all mulled over the idea of how a movie should be made about Rory's life and who should play it. But I would say, this is that movie. No one could play Rory like the man himself. And in it he shows us really all we need to know, the passion that drove the music.

I've lost count of how many times I have watched this video since it arrived in the mail. 8-) And I hope my neighbors have enjoyed it as much as I.

Thank you to Donal and Daniel, for persistently working under the radar to get this film released. It was sooo worth the wait. :mrgreen:
RobertaSparrow

Postby Jay Jay » 26 Sep 2015, 11:42

Great post Cynthia :)
RobertaSparrow wrote:My impression of their performance, the crowd has no idea of the intense breakup these three musicians have just gone through, but with the benefit of hindsight we know. It's an intense relationship that the people involved in thought would last, and they have the breakup fight in the van on the way to this very important public performance.

Thinking about this Taste breaking up before the IOW. Now we can be even more grateful that this " wonderful performance" at the IOW was filmed for prosperity before they actually did split up. Leaving each other two months later.

Rory in his career did miss out on a few opportunities to make it really huge. At least this time. Even though 45 years later, Rory was captured on film and released for the world to see..

What a wonderful genius of a guitar player and performer he truly was :)

Rock On for Rory :)
Jay Jay

Postby Tibor77 » 28 Sep 2015, 20:27

RoryfanBrisbane wrote:I've ordered a copy of the Bluray from evo88.com. $US19 including delivery to Australia.

http://www.evo88.com/en/music?page=shop ... uct_id=941

Is this site realiable? Pal or NTSC? I hav not bought it yet
Tibor77

Postby RobertaSparrow » 28 Sep 2015, 20:39

Tibor77 wrote:
RoryfanBrisbane wrote:I've ordered a copy of the Bluray from evo88.com. $US19 including delivery to Australia.

http://www.evo88.com/en/music?page=shop ... uct_id=941

Is this site realiable? Pal or NTSC? I hav not bought it yet

I don't know, it is difficult to buy in the stores in the United States, I went to the Eagle Rock site, they usually have a link, and when I bought mine, the link they had directed me to Best Buy, but I have also seen it link to Amazon. It seems to direct people to the site closest to where they are located.

http://www.eagle-rock.com/

And from the main page on this site:

http://rorygallagher.com/#/news/2015/09 ... e_of_wight
RobertaSparrow

Postby Lee61 » 05 Oct 2015, 17:46

Here I sit in Sligo Ireland about to drive to Ballyshannon tomorrow to see Rory's statue. What a thrill! I also purchaed my IOW dvd knowing that I would probably have difficulty getting it when I returned to Australia. I am one happy little vegemite :)
Lee61

Postby Jay Jay » 05 Oct 2015, 18:41

Lee61 wrote:Here I sit in Sligo Ireland about to drive to Ballyshannon tomorrow to see Rory's statue. What a thrill! I also purchaed my IOW dvd knowing that I would probably have difficulty getting it when I returned to Australia. I am one happy little vegemite :)

Hi Lee, have a great time tomorrow at one of my favourite places in the world Ballyshannon..
Say hello from Jay Jay to Rory and the friendly town folk also ;)

Meanwhile here is another excellent review of Taste " What's Going On " Live @ The Isle Of Wight :)
http://www.allaboutjazz.com/whats-going ... llette.php
Rock On for Rory
Slainte, Jay Jay
Jay Jay

Postby ken » 05 Oct 2015, 19:01

Hi, Went to the premier in London on Saturday, and thanks to Jay Jay I have unscrambled my log in , so hopefully will be coming on here again.
Took some photos and spoke to Donal and briefly to Daniel.
I think the film is terrific, been waiting 40 odd years to see it, I think Murray and Daniel have done a great job.
Donal signed the sleeve insert of the DVD, Best wishes, Donal Gallagher, Taste forever.
The film seemed to be a 'directors cut', and was wonderful on the big screen, every song was applauded, to be honest I was quite emotional.
Met up with a fan called Paul, who had seen Rory 40 times. There was a lady there who went on stage with her leg tatoo'd with every Rory Album on her leg, with white hair.....
I have some photos of her on stage with Donal.
If people are interested I will post more.......
ken

PreviousNext

Return to Rory Gallagher & Taste TV & Radio Material... All Studio & LIve Recordings