Rory/Magic/Muddy Waters. Interview with Donal.

№1 RORY FORUM PAGE. For Rory Gallagher. Discuss Rory related things with respect always!

Re: Rory/Magic/Muddy Waters. Interview with Donal.

Postby SUBY1974 » 14 Oct 2015, 19:22

It is a shame Albert King was not that welcoming. I have heard about this before. The fact is before the Blues hit UK + Europe, some Americans were not interested in the Blues. Only the American African were. Then the Blues came over to the UK and others like Rory/ Eric Clapton/John Mayall/Chris Barber gave their own interpretations of the Blues. They treated Muddy Waters, Big Joe etc like heroes. They then took the Blues back back to America and it became
popular. In fact Buddy Guy said we owe the Stones/Eric Clapton etc for that. Anyway I am glad for Rory. At least he showed them all with his guitar mastery. Subrata. :mrgreen:
SUBY1974

Postby RobertaSparrow » 15 Oct 2015, 16:16

SUBY1974 wrote:It is a shame Albert King was not that welcoming. I have heard about this before. The fact is before the Blues hit UK + Europe, some Americans were not interested in the Blues. Only the American African were. Then the Blues came over to the UK and others like Rory/ Eric Clapton/John Mayall/Chris Barber gave their own interpretations of the Blues. They treated Muddy Waters, Big Joe etc like heroes. They then took the Blues back back to America and it became
popular. In fact Buddy Guy said we owe the Stones/Eric Clapton etc for that. Anyway I am glad for Rory. At least he showed them all with his guitar mastery. Subrata. :mrgreen:

It depends. In the Los Angeles area, where I grew up, and in the other urban areas, the blues and jazz were quite popular. Consider this- When Rory was a child listening to the Armed Services Radio in Ireland, he was listening to the music that the young American soldiers- my dad and uncles among them, were listening to, blues, old school country, the early precursors to Rock n Roll, that music was played for young homesick American soldiers, and it was played because it was popular, sounds from back home.

When I was a child, I grew up hearing that same music from my teenage parents. So, yes, the "British Invasion" gave that music a new and fresh face that it didn't have before, and bands like The Beatles certainly outshone the tired old versions I had been hearing, but that American roots music never did die, it just got the attention of the rest of the world through the interpretation of dominantly British musicians.

First time Rory ever heard Rock Island Line was when Lonnie Donegan played it. First time I ever heard Rock Island Line was when Johnny Cash played it, when my uncles and dad used to listen to it on the radio in Los Angeles. But first time anyone ever played it was over here. And my uncle used to play it on his old acoustic guitar.

And racially, my family roots were white, and Mexican.

RobertaSparrow

Postby SUBY1974 » 16 Oct 2015, 23:19

Thanks Cynthia. Some interesting facts here but its all good as my knowledge on rock/jazz and blues grows. Subrata.x :mrgreen:
SUBY1974

Return to • RORY GALLAGHER • TASTE•FUL • HOMEPAGE