Rory and Roy Buchanan

Rory Gallagher's No.1 Page for Discussion.. Topics Rory Related with Respect Always

Rory and Roy Buchanan

Postby CiaSeattle » 20 Aug 2015, 16:03

I was just thinking about Roy Buchanan the other day, I think the remembrance of Monica Gallagher's passing reminded me of him as he died on Aug. 14th as well. While his sound was very different, there are so many things their playing had in common, such as the use of volume control for wah-wah, not using effects, etc. Both also were relatively unknown during their lifetimes, both refused to bend to record companies (Roy quit recording in 1977 for 4 years until he could record his music his way). Roy was offered Brian Jones' spot in the Rolling Stones in 1969, which he declined. Both are not in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, which I'm sure neither of them could give a rat's ass about. And they both died way too young under tragic circumstances. I know they played on the same venue a couple of times, too bad they never jammed together. RIP to both, I imagine they are jamming together now.

Roy Buchanan: "I think the lonely thing is kind of born inside of a person,”. “That’s what makes him play. Your soul seems to be completely someplace else from other people’s, a lonesome feeling. "
CiaSeattle

Re: Rory and Roy Buchanan

Postby Dem » 20 Aug 2015, 16:19

Roy was amazing as well as Rory. :)
Dem

Postby capo » 20 Aug 2015, 16:58

Dear CiaSeattle, you might want to read the thread I started back in February, "Was Rory An Innovator As A Guitarist?", which talks about Roy and Rory. I love your quote from Roy. Too, too tragic about both of them. But we have their great music. Peace.
capo

Postby CiaSeattle » 21 Aug 2015, 16:14

capo wrote:Dear CiaSeattle, you might want to read the thread I started back in February, "Was Rory An Innovator As A Guitarist?", which talks about Roy and Rory. I love your quote from Roy. Too, too tragic about both of them. But we have their great music. Peace.

Thanks capo, just read the thread, and I agree. Rory may not have invented certain techniques, but he certainly made them his own, which to me makes him an original, though not necessarily an innovator. Really, I think you would have to go back to the person who first tied strings or animal tendons or whatever, to wood and twanged them for innovation.

I never had the pleasure of seeing Rory live, but I did see Roy Buchanan play. Rory is hands down the most exciting onstage presence I've ever seen, even if it's just been on video. No disrespect to Roy B, his live playing was impeccable, but I actually preferred listening to his albums. Onstage he could be a bit like watching paint dry.
CiaSeattle

Postby Jay Jay » 22 Aug 2015, 12:45

CiaSeattle wrote:I never had the pleasure of seeing Rory live, but I did see Roy Buchanan play. Rory is hands down the most exciting onstage presence I've ever seen, even if it's just been on video. No disrespect to Roy B, his live playing was impeccable, but I actually preferred listening to his albums. Onstage he could be a bit like watching paint dry.

Hiya Cia.. you are so right in your comparison's for someone who never saw RORY LIVE in concert :)
I have had the pleasure and privilege of seeing RORY live many times. Plus seen many other great guitarist..
The reason being why i put myself out to go and see RORY so many times above the others is exactly as you say. His presence on stage was so exciting and electrifying. Especially throughout the 70's and early 80's.. You didn't want to take your eyes of Rory for a second of the 2 hours + of a RORY show :)
Jay Jay

Return to RORY GALLAGHER'S ~ TASTE-FUL " LOOSE TALK " MAIN DISCUSSION FORUM