Rory Changed String Playing Guitar?

Well, that song she's humming, could make my guitar start strumming?

Rory Changed String Playing Guitar?

Postby Jay Jay » 05 Jul 2010, 22:42

I've heard a couple of people tell me this story ...
Rory while on stage half way through a song, one of his strings break and he changes it while continuing the song.

Johnny Marr (Smiths) and another guitarist I know were these guys that said this about Rory.
Has anyone else seen this happen?

Is this fact or a myth maybe??
Jay Jay

Re: Rory Changed String Playing Guitar?

Postby soupedupford » 05 Jul 2010, 22:47

most defo
soupedupford

Postby Jay Jay » 05 Jul 2010, 22:53

How Barry?
Did the bass and drums, keyboard even, carry on playing and Tom just passed Rory another sting?
Is this how he managed it?
Jay Jay

Postby fenderbass » 06 Jul 2010, 09:30

Seen this happen at least twice. One ocassion I remember well.
The band were in the middle of a song when Rory broke a string.
Tom O'Driscoll came on stage with the spare string and proceeded to change the string while the band carried on and Rory also continued to play and sing.
You have to feed the new string in from the back of the guitar (strats and most teles), so you can imagine Tom crouching down beside Rory, finding his way round the back of the guitar to remove the old string and fit the replacement and then wind up the tuner to get the string up to tension.
fenderbass

Postby mac » 06 Jul 2010, 13:59

Jeez,its hard enough .........in daylight......on the couch......with no one looking at you,how he could keep playing is beyond me.......and allways will be!
mac

Postby asdesas » 06 Jul 2010, 14:23

My first Rory gig, he broke a string on the first two songs, but did hasty replacements in between.
asdesas

Location: Los Angeles by way of Fullerton CA (where Rory's Strat was born!)

Postby Andersen28 » 06 Jul 2010, 14:50

I've never seen him live or seen any video-footage so I can't confirm or deny anything about this story. But I've been playing the guitar for nearly 10 years now and it seems almost impossible to me to be able to keep playing while changing a string. Because when a string breaks it affects the neck of the guitar and the tuning of at least a few other strings. So you have to tune the guitar up again.
But Rory was an amazing player and performer so I wouldn't be surprised if he somehow was able to pull this off :roll:
Andersen28

Postby Sinnerboy » 06 Jul 2010, 19:09

I saw him do it once, this is how it was when I saw it:

They were into the first solo in 'Bought and sold' when his top E broke, he nodded to Gerry to keep it going (Which he did in typical Gerry dynamic style) and Rory had cleared the old string and threaded the new one (he whipped it out of his back pocket) in a nanosecond! then, as the first solo is in e, he solo'd on the bottom e string with his left hand whilst tuning up the new string with his right as a sort of ascending drone until the top was in tune and sailed away. The amazing thing about it wasn't the mechanical process described but the time it took him to do it!

If I break a string on stage the whole show comes to a shuddering halt while I bugger about with pliers and tuners!

B
Sinnerboy

Postby JJW » 06 Jul 2010, 19:20

Yep, during the brill OGWT gig at Shepherds Bush 2/3/76, his string breaks in the middle of Bullfrog Blues. Gerry, Lou and Rod cover whilst he hastily changes string and then just carries on. If you're not actually watching you can hear when it breaks, but the others make it almost seamless and it hardly notices. Magic stuff. :D

Jacqui
JJW

Postby soupedupford » 09 Jul 2010, 09:41

sinnerboy- yep thats just about how i saw him do it
rory changed the string as if it part of the music
barry
soupedupford

Next

Return to RORY GALLAGHER ~ GUITARS + Other Guitars + Gear Talk