How did you first hear Rory?

Rory Fans ~ New members checkout updated forum rules.. here before posting please
Forum rules
styles/rules.png

LOOSE TALK ~ Moderator Team..
Cynthia Armento (RobertaSparrow) (USA) John Ganjamie (roryfan) (USA) JJ Joyce (Jay Jay) (UK) Jim Petrover (JimLED) (Ukraine).
© RORY GALLAGHER LOOSE TALK 2013

How did you first hear Rory?

Postby heatison » 13 Oct 2014, 06:58

I was wondering how you first came to hear the name Rory Gallagher?
I was sixteen and my older brother came in and threw the album Live in Europe at me.
"Listen to this and see what you think" he said.
That was the first time that I had ever seen the name Rory Gallagher.
By the time that I had finished listening to the album I was hooked and he never got that album back.
heatison

Re: How did you first hear Rory?

Postby RobertaSparrow » 13 Oct 2014, 08:23

Listening to "underground" FM radio stations in Los Angeles in the late 60's, I heard Taste, didn't know much about them but that I really liked that sound. :D
RobertaSparrow

Postby folkdeejay » 13 Oct 2014, 10:00

I heard a cassette copy of Blueprint. It belonged to one of the older scouts at a camp.

Played on one of the little mono tape recorders with 'piano keys', about the size of a small shoebox.

The music had my 11 year old ears in a grip, and it is still my favourite studio LP - I got home and pestered my parents to join the local record library, and got Blueprint out on loan. Then it was paper rounds & milk rounds to buy up the back catalogue asap and gig tickets when he played nearby. I remember that I bought Top Priority as a new release.
folkdeejay

Postby Annie Elliott » 13 Oct 2014, 11:03

I was browsing through Rolling Stone's 100 Greatest Guitarists list and Rory was the only one I didn't know so I googled him and found Bullfrog Blues. Hooked from then on!
Annie Elliott

Postby heatison » 13 Oct 2014, 11:18

Wow Annie what a song, to start you on your Rory adventure.
heatison

Postby Tibbierocks » 13 Oct 2014, 15:44

sky arts one. not the usual place I go to find new music. :-D And I don't have sky anymore either. something good came of it!
Tibbierocks

Postby Mandyl » 13 Oct 2014, 16:09

Back in 1975 (?) a shortened version of Irish Tour was shown before the main film in cinemas in Britain. A few of my friends and I went to see either Stardust or That Will Be The Day (both David Essex films), but I'm not sure which, and that's when I first heard and saw Rory as Irish Tour was shown beforehand. The first song was As the Crow Flies and I was mesmerised, both by his looks and the music. I bought the LP after that but found Crest of a Wave and Cradle Rock too much at the time, loved Million Miles Away though.

Although I saw Rory at the Hammersmith Odeon in 1979 and bought Photo Finish after that it wasn't until 2007 that I re-discovered him, never looked back.... :)
Mandyl

Postby AnnaMaria » 13 Oct 2014, 16:52

I used to listen to Led Zeppelin when I was a teenager and then I kind of forgot them for 20 years. So just a year ago I started to listen to them again and read some books about them and Rory was mentioned somewhere. Well, I looked up Youtube and the first one I heard was "In your Town". And then I had to play all the others....
AnnaMaria

Postby May » 14 Oct 2014, 21:02

German television, Beat Club. Taste played "What`s going on"; since then, I love his music!
May

Postby woodeye2000 » 15 Oct 2014, 00:05

Don Kirschner's Rock Concert. "Hands Off." Simple little boogie tune. Enjoyed the heck out of it.
Do you need persuading?
woodeye2000

Next

Return to Rory Gallagher's Official Forum ~ Welcome