Montreaux 1975

Rory Fans ~ New members checkout updated forum rules.. here before posting please
Forum rules
styles/rules.png

LOOSE TALK ~ Moderator Team..
Cynthia Armento (RobertaSparrow) (USA) John Ganjamie (roryfan) (USA) JJ Joyce (Jay Jay) (UK) Jim Petrover (JimLED) (Ukraine).
© RORY GALLAGHER LOOSE TALK 2013

Montreaux 1975

Postby Tom Jonas » 23 Aug 2014, 19:21

I have just watched this fantastic piece. I have hesitated before, avoided Taste because I guessed that this was Rory's formative years, not yet mature. But I must admit that 1975 must have been Rory experienced enough. He is 27 years-of-age, looks like 17, and soo brittle and exposed. His appearance is confident, a bit nervous perhaps, no surprise. And his confidence seems unaffected 1977. His guitar playing is so well-rehearsed, clean and excellent, and he sings with an articulation and feeling which he perhaps had to struggle to reach after those years. His voice naturally got tired during a concert of almost two hours in later years. And did he loose the final 110% in his guitar abilities. Tired of all routine performances during long tours. Gradually and slowly burned out ?
I am speculating to much, but Montreaux 1975 is delicious.
Tom Jonas

Re: Montreaux 1975

Postby Annie Elliott » 25 Aug 2014, 12:12

The more I listen to Taste the more I appreciate Rory at this early stage. I wonder how he would have developed had the band been able to stay together, maybe continued more in the direction of Cream, especially lyrically?

Rory's voice changed a lot over the years, but I like the grittier sound of the later years for the blues. Energy levels clearly declining (mine have too) but I think his illness had a lot to do with that as well.
Last edited by Annie Elliott on 15 Jun 2015, 12:09, edited 1 time in total.
Annie Elliott

Postby Tom Jonas » 26 Aug 2014, 06:14

I agree. Rory eventually became a great blues singer. His performance of Willie Dixon's What in the World on the Montreaux -82 DVD is one of the best blues recordings ever.
The more I listen to, and watch Rory, the more I realise how important Gary McAvoy was. So now I will take a bit of Taste, and I hope they had a good basist. I have a hard-rocking drumming friend who recommended Cat Fish very much.
Tom Jonas

Postby JimLED » 26 Aug 2014, 13:30

My best choice of What In The World

unfortunately it dubbed and cutted(
Every gun makes its own tune.. Image
After a meal there's nothing like a good cigar.
JimLED

Postby Tom Jonas » 26 Aug 2014, 15:52

Well, the guitar playing was quite different and very good. But he sings better, and overall the Rockpalatz Loreley-82 is better (I think I called it Montreaux?) Perhaps because of the key-board and saxophones.
The Germans have a nasty habit of dubbing everything. I've heard Humphrey Bogart and even Stan and Laurel speaking German, which was a shocking experience. Same problem in Italy.
In Sweden , and probably every Nordic country, we keep the original sound on TV series and films, but text the translation. That's why English is the second language in these countries, everyone below 60 years-of-age speaks fairly good English.
Tom Jonas

Postby JimLED » 26 Aug 2014, 19:24

We have to start "bombing" German TV for re-release these all great hidden material they have!
Every gun makes its own tune.. Image
After a meal there's nothing like a good cigar.
JimLED

Postby Tom Jonas » 27 Aug 2014, 08:30

JimLED! I agree completely with you. And were are the rest of all the Montreaux Concerts?
Tom Jonas

Return to Rory Gallagher's Official Forum ~ Welcome