Re: Rory's Roots

Rory Fans ~ New members checkout updated forum rules.. here before posting please
Forum rules
styles/rules.png

LOOSE TALK ~ Moderator Team..
Cynthia Armento (RobertaSparrow) (USA) John Ganjamie (roryfan) (USA) JJ Joyce (Jay Jay) (UK) Jim Petrover (JimLED) (Ukraine).
© RORY GALLAGHER LOOSE TALK 2013

Postby Annie Elliott » 20 Jul 2014, 13:02

I have a mind to suggest a short story competition for the best Rory story. What do you all think?

Someone did this for Henrix once with wonderful results.
Last edited by Annie Elliott on 16 Jun 2015, 15:31, edited 2 times in total.
Annie Elliott

Postby RobertaSparrow » 20 Jul 2014, 14:26

Well, since you asked, if Rory is worked into a story line as many artist/writers do, such as Stephen King who always uses popular cultural references, especially musical figures and lyrics to flesh out his stories, that works out really well. Ian Rankin does it that way also. It helps give depth and context to a fictional story. The essence of who those artists were is left as it was in the mind of the reader. Their art is reflected in the writing to enhance the plot line, like a catalyst that helps effect change in its surroundings, but does not itself become changed. But I'm not so keen on fan fiction, where someone makes up a story about a real person, such as Rory, as a main or even prominent character, where the writer puts words in his mouth or depicts him as doing or being something that is purely in the imagination of the writer.

IMO fan fiction is fine when its subject matter is about a fictional character, such as Sherlock Holmes, Dr. Who, Harry Potter, Don Juan, Donnie Darko, Spongebob Squarepants or Captain Kirk. It is different when it is a real person, a person whose memory is still very real for the family and friends left behind.

For someone whose passing is still so relatively recent, someone who still has family and friends for whom their loss is still fraught with emotion, it is not in my opinion fair or just to use them that way in a fan fiction piece, because no matter how well intentioned the portrayal, or how kindly the intent behind it, it is still too easy to cause pain to the people closest to him.

Nothing wrong with fictional or creative writing, but it is not something I'd want to see on the forum. And, it would be far too easy for something that is clearly fiction to be misinterpreted, repeated, and eventually reported as fact, especially if it is published on Rory's official site. That's just my opinion for what it's worth. How do the rest of you feel about it?

@ Annie, P.S. I just noticed, You're traveling from San Francisco to Cork in the fall for a writer's festival? You'll have a chance to check out all the neat stuff that Suby mentioned.
RobertaSparrow

Re: Rory Fan Fiction?

Postby capo » 20 Jul 2014, 15:29

I agree with Roberta completely. Besides, Rory has already been a subject in Fiction, "Riding Shotgun" wasn't it? ;)
capo

Postby Tokeiihto » 20 Jul 2014, 20:17

The problem with fan fiction is that it's inherently indulgent and oftentimes masturbatory in nature. Instead of exploring interesting themes or being a thoughtful character study, this kind of writing is nothing more than wish fulfilment on part of the "author".

Besides, even with purely fictional properties it's simply disrespectful towards the actual creator and his or her original vision and intend. Fan fiction might serve as a nice writing exercise if done privately, but imho has no redeeming value otherwise.

So, fan fiction incorporating real people (a.k.a celebrities) ... yeah, sorry, but no.
"From the fool's gold mouthpiece the hollow horn plays wasted words, proves to warn that he not busy being born is busy dying." (B. Dylan)
Tokeiihto

Postby Annie Elliott » 20 Jul 2014, 20:33

Ah, no, no, not fan fiction, guys. I mean a juried contest where serious writers enter submissions for review, you know, like the Frank O'Connor award, but different.

@RobertaSparrow, Oh yes, I can't wait to see all the things Suby mentions, Rory landmarks in Cork, Ballyshannon and beyond! I'll take a lot of pictures to share...any special requests?
Last edited by Annie Elliott on 16 Jun 2015, 15:32, edited 1 time in total.
Annie Elliott

Postby RobertaSparrow » 21 Jul 2014, 01:23

Annie Elliott wrote: . . . a short story competition for the best Rory story. What do you all think? . . .

Perhaps I misunderstood. When you said a short story competition I assumed you meant a short fictional story with Rory as the main character. Are we talking about a short story of a non-fictional nature about a Cork inhabitant's interaction or personal knowledge of Rory? A story about his schooldays from a student or teacher in his class? Someone who delivered groceries to the Gallagher family's home back in the day or who attended art classes with him and has a funny or interesting story to tell? Because that is different. That is a non-fictional telling of an interesting bit of Rory history, and that is fine. We'd all like to hear that. But a fictional story? That can be a slippery slope.

Let me illustrate an example. In Stephen King's book Pet Sematary, the main character, Doctor Louis Creed begins to lose his mind after the death of his son, begins to plan the events that lead up to the horrific conclusion of the story. He checks into a hotel under the alias Dee Dee Ramone. (Dee Dee Ramone was alive and well at the time the book was written.) While digging up his child's grave, he keeps humming the words to the Ramones song "Blitzkrieg Bop." Of course Dee Dee Ramone wasn't a character in the story, but the Ramone's music and a cursory reference to their music was part of the story line. It's a plot device that King uses very effectively to illuminate the character and his state of mind, and it adds to the story but does not pull the actual character or personality of Dee Dee Ramone into the story line. That is an effective use of a real person in a work of fiction, and I see no problem with that.

Now, had King instead written the story such that Dee Dee Ramone went into the graveyard with Dr. Creed and helped him dig up the child's body, or Dee Dee appeared to Dr. Creed and warned him not to go onto the cursed ground to rebury his son, that would in my opinion be wrong and improper, since Dee Dee Ramone was not a fictional character.

So, when I say "fan fiction," about Rory I mean a portrayal of Rory as a character doing and/or saying things that no one knows he ever said or did. Using Rory and his music as a backdrop for a main character's interaction with another is fine- a boy and girl meet for the first time standing in line waiting to see Taste play in London, they hear Morning Sun and it becomes their song. That is fine. Having Rory perform their wedding ceremony, that is not okay. In my opinion.

And, there is always the notion that someone is going to overstep their boundaries, as in internet rule 34, and that is definitely NOT okay.
RobertaSparrow

Postby Annie Elliott » 21 Jul 2014, 12:18

The competition and the prize could be named for Rory, a way to honor him and get his name out there more. It bums me out that so many people don't know about him!

Could it be a noir kind of thing, a crime story kind of thing, whatever. I think it could be really cool, however it played out, and I'm prepared to pledge $1,000 prize money (would be nice if Donal would match that ;) ) if ever someone would take it up and promote it.
Last edited by Annie Elliott on 16 Jun 2015, 15:32, edited 1 time in total.
Annie Elliott

Postby SUBY1974 » 22 Jul 2014, 21:22

Have a good trip Annie. Wish I could be going again and I would have loved to have been at the Cork Literature Festival. Subrata. x
SUBY1974

Postby Tibbierocks » 23 Jul 2014, 08:28

capo wrote:I agree with Roberta completely. Besides, Rory has already been a subject in Fiction, "Riding Shotgun" wasn't it? ;)

Very good. that make me laugh :lol:
Tibbierocks

Postby Annie Elliott » 23 Jul 2014, 15:21

SUBY1974 wrote:Have a good trip Annie. Wish I could be going again and I would have loved to have been at the Cork Literature Festival. Subrata. x

Thanks Subrata! I'll give you a report when I return. I'm not a pro like you, I just like to mess around with writing, still I'm so psyched! Annie

Cynthia, I agree with you about the potential for abuse in a Rory story. Anybody can say anything happened, even in this forum!, and who can say otherwise? But that's just garbage, the kind of thing I hope a jury would weed out. Of course something like I'm suggesting would have to be approved by the family and sponsored by a legitimate organization.
Last edited by Annie Elliott on 16 Jun 2015, 15:33, edited 1 time in total.
Annie Elliott

Next

Return to Rory Gallagher's Official Forum ~ Welcome