Rory's Roots

Rory Fans ~ New members checkout updated forum rules.. here before posting please
Forum rules
styles/rules.png

LOOSE TALK ~ Moderator Team..
Cynthia Armento (RobertaSparrow) (USA) John Ganjamie (roryfan) (USA) JJ Joyce (Jay Jay) (UK) Jim Petrover (JimLED) (Ukraine).
© RORY GALLAGHER LOOSE TALK 2013

Rory's Roots

Postby RobertaSparrow » 10 Jul 2014, 18:34

Okay, I have a question. I know the festival in Ballyshannon is the larger of the two, Rory was born there after all, but he grew up in Cork and judging by what Suby and others have said, Rory is still very much remembered and spoken of there, yet the festival in Cork seems to be less developed. And after discussing it with a friend, I'm wondering- I always thought Rory not only was born in Ballyshannon, but has familial roots in County Donegal. Is that correct? Seems I read that his father's family was from the Donegal area, and his mother's was in Cork.

So, was Rory's connection to County Donegal and Ballyshannon limited to his place of birth, or did he have paternal family roots in that part of Ireland?

And, considering that Cork is where Rory's musical career was born, and where he conceived Taste, and where his body is laid to rest, shouldn't there be more of a focus there?
RobertaSparrow

Re: Rory's Roots

Postby Jay Jay » 10 Jul 2014, 20:26

RobertaSparrow wrote:Rory is still very much remembered and spoken of there, yet the festival in Cork seems to be less developed. And after discussing it with a friend, I'm wondering- I always thought Rory not only was born in Ballyshannon, but has familial roots in County Donegal. Is that correct? Seems I read that his father's family was from the Donegal area, and his mother's was in Cork.

Unfortunately Cynthia and Suby, you cannot really call "Cork Rocks for Rory" a festival yet IMHO..
Until it gets the backing of many many more of it's population? Don't think you have 10% backing at this moment in time?
Whereas in Ballyshannon 99.9 % back the festival there.

Although Rory did grow up in Cork. For about 10 to 11 years of his younger life (7 to 17/18)..
Don't forget he was influenced early years by his father Danny (Daniel) Gallagher a musician too. An accordion player in an Irish trad band.
Born in Ballyshannon but only there for his early months of his life. Danny only moving there from Derry to get a job at the Hydro Electrical Plant / Dam being built. Really IMHO, I would say Rory's roots were more formed in Derry where his father came from than anywhere else.
It's ironic too that even though Rory had minor success with the showbands / Impact and with The Taste Mk1 in Cork. It was not until Rory moved back to the North of Ireland to Belfast. That Rory really did go on to "fame and fortune" and was successful in his musical career. With Taste Mk1 and Mk2 beginning at the Maritime Club. Living in Belfast for a short time. Then when getting the Polydor record deal and Marquee Club residency..
Rory moved and then based himself and his band in London.
Jay Jay

Postby RobertaSparrow » 10 Jul 2014, 20:36

Okay, thanks for clearing that up, and that certainly explains Rory's compassion for the kids in Northern Ireland, and his love of Ireland as a whole. I thought his dad had roots in the north part, but I thought it was on the other side of that border. So if his dad was from Northern Ireland, and his mother from the south, her family from Cork, then he had roots in both parts. His passion, his home, was Ireland, north and south. 8-) Both his parents were musical though, were they not? His mother sang and acted?

:? And, far as Cork Rocks for Rory, I hope they take notice of the focus on Ballyshannon, and realize that they are missing out. And that they will change their attitudes a bit. ;)
RobertaSparrow

Postby Jay Jay » 10 Jul 2014, 20:48

RobertaSparrow wrote:Okay, thanks for clearing that up, and that certainly explains Rory's compassion for the kids in Northern Ireland, and his love of Ireland as a whole. I thought his dad had roots in the north part, but I thought it was on the other side of that border. So if his dad was from Northern Ireland, and his mother from the south, her family from Cork, then he had roots in both parts. His passion, his home, was Ireland, north and south. 8-) Both his parents were musical though, were they not? His mother sang and acted?

Yes exactly that's why I believe he said his favourite venue was the Ulster Hall in Belfast.
Where he brought all the youngster of whatever divides, all together united as Irish fans in his music. For that one night :)

Barry O'Neill (organiser of the Rory Fest Ballyshannon) told me. That Rory's mother Monica did act on stage. What is now The Rory Gallagher Theatre Ballyshannon. Yes she was supposedly a very fine singer too :)
Jay Jay

Postby SUBY1974 » 13 Jul 2014, 21:29

Cork Council does not even mention Rory on their website? How pathetic. Lets hope Cork Rocks For Rory gets more attention in the future and support! Subrata. x
I will e-mail them to ask why don't they mention our Rory.
SUBY1974

Postby RobertaSparrow » 14 Jul 2014, 02:10

Yes they ought to be ashamed. They have someone on the list whose only claim to fame was that they entered the United States through Ellis Island. Really???!!

Here is the link:
http://www.cork.ie/explore/history/famouscorkpeople/
RobertaSparrow

Return to Rory Gallagher's Official Forum ~ Welcome