Is this true?

Rory Fans ~ New members checkout updated forum rules.. here before posting please
Forum rules
styles/rules.png

LOOSE TALK ~ Moderator Team..
Cynthia Armento (RobertaSparrow) (USA) John Ganjamie (roryfan) (USA) JJ Joyce (Jay Jay) (UK) Jim Petrover (JimLED) (Ukraine).
© RORY GALLAGHER LOOSE TALK 2013

Is this true?

Postby IrishBlues » 30 May 2014, 03:46

Randy Bachman:''I remember doing a gig with Rory Gallagher. He showed up in a golf shirt and nice slacks. Before he went out to play, he grabbed his ripped jeans, his faded flannel shirt and put on old shoes, so he would look like a rock ‘n’ roll street guy. Gave him more cred.''

http://guitarinternational.com/2010/12/ ... g-guitars/

This canadian lad is saying that Rory forged a stage image.Can anyone back this up?
IrishBlues

Re: Is this true?

Postby RobertaSparrow » 30 May 2014, 04:38

IrishBlues wrote:Randy Bachman:''I remember doing a gig with Rory Gallagher. He showed up in a golf shirt and nice slacks. Before he went out to play, he grabbed his ripped jeans, his faded flannel shirt and put on old shoes, so he would look like a rock ‘n’ roll street guy. Gave him more cred.''

This canadian lad is saying that Rory forged a stage image.Can anyone back this up?

No. :D

IMO Randy Bachman is jealous, and has every right to be.

And, look at that lovely photo of Rory that opens this vid that AGallagherGirl put together. Looks like Rory to me, looks like he could walk out on to the stage just as he is, and just as he might.

He often wore plaid shirts and denim jeans, but I never saw him step out on stage wearing dirty or ripped jeans or shirts, or old worn out shoes. By the end of the show his clothing looked a lot more used than they did a couple of hours before. But that is because he wore them out, like he did his guitars, and his own body.

He could play circles around Randy Bachman without breaking a sweat.
RobertaSparrow

Postby IrishBlues » 30 May 2014, 14:08

RobertaSparrow wrote:
IrishBlues wrote:Randy Bachman:''I remember doing a gig with Rory Gallagher. He showed up in a golf shirt and nice slacks. Before he went out to play, he grabbed his ripped jeans, his faded flannel shirt and put on old shoes, so he would look like a rock ‘n’ roll street guy. Gave him more cred.''

No. :D

IMO Randy Bachman is jealous, and has every right to be.

And, look at that lovely photo of Rory that opens this vid that AGallagherGirl put together. Looks like Rory to me, looks like he could walk out on to the stage just as he is, and just as he might.

He often wore plaid shirts and denim jeans, but I never saw him step out on stage wearing dirty or ripped jeans or shirts, or old worn out shoes. By the end of the show his clothing looked a lot more used than they did a couple of hours before. But that is because he wore them out, like he did his guitars, and his own body.

He could play circles around Randy Bachman without breaking a sweat.

Yeah I was wondering since I have never seen Rory Gallagher wear torn clothing,The Randy Bachman scum comes across as a wanker.There is a part in the interview where he says he was happy with the image the company gave him because it 'suited' him.This is strangely enough the only musician who spoke poorly of Rory G, besides Gerry Mcevoy of course.
IrishBlues

Postby woodeye2000 » 31 May 2014, 22:16

From my perspective, the real problem was that Rory Gallagher did not play golf that day wearing ripped up jeans and a flannel shirt. :mrgreen:
woodeye2000

Postby woodeye2000 » 01 Jun 2014, 05:21

This one really sticks in my craw. Bachman's comments require much more analysis and rebuttal. We are here to protect the honor or Rory Gallagher.

What the hell was Rory supposed to do, go out on stage in "a golf shirt and nice slacks?" Maybe Rory Gallagher could just go out on stage and play with one of those shiney new Les Paul's , like Randy Bachman uses. There it is. Randy is jealous of Rory's
guitar collection.

Maybe the real answer to why Randy Bachman is "hung up " and wants to be the "style council" regarding Rory Gallagher's stage wardrobe lies in the lyrics to BTO's song "Roll on Down the Highway." It goes something like this: "...Time's real short and it's only six inches long." I am sure Randy Bachman sang his own song many times when he was driving around in his big rig.

It wouldn't surprise me to hear that Rory Gallagher took his faded flannel shirts to the dry cleaners. Does it really matter? We all know genuine when we see it. We all know serious guitar work when we hear it. :D
woodeye2000

Postby SUBY1974 » 26 Oct 2014, 19:53

Jealous Randy Bachman? Hmm? Whether your story is true or not Rory had enormous style. Again get over it. Subrata.x I also wanted to add Rory did not need to brand himself like David Beckham and his wife does and everyone in crap celeb land. I adore Rory because he was and is the real deal. He knew who he was :- a Rock Blues Musician and in opinion the greatest electric blues guitarist in the world. Subrata.x
SUBY1974

Postby Jay Jay » 26 Oct 2014, 20:54

SUBY1974 wrote:Jealous Randy Bachman? Hmm? Whether your story is true or not Rory had enormous style. Again get over it. Subrata.x I also wanted to add Rory did not need to brand himself like David Beckham and his wife does and everyone in crap celeb land. I adore Rory because he was and is the real deal. He knew who he was :- a Rock Blues Musician and in opinion the greatest electric blues guitarist in the world. Subrata.x

Amen to that Suby :)

For a fairly relatively new Rory fan and follower. Compared to us older ones..
You really do know about Rory's Greatness and Graciousness as a musician and person..

There is a German interview with Rory, I've got on a dvd and is on youtube at the height of Rory's career in the 70's. Where he is asked just like the Hendrix quote.. Interviewer quote. " What's it like to be the great guitar hero " I can't remember Rory's exact answer but that the great and humble man just sort of dismisses this and names other guitarists. As i said similar to the supposedly Jimi quote :)
Jay Jay

Postby SUBY1974 » 26 Oct 2014, 23:08

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
SUBY1974

Return to Rory Gallagher's Official Forum ~ Welcome