Update on Rory's Music on Video Games

Rory Fans ~ New members checkout updated forum rules.. here before posting please
Forum rules
styles/rules.png

LOOSE TALK ~ Moderator Team..
Cynthia Armento (RobertaSparrow) (USA) John Ganjamie (roryfan) (USA) JJ Joyce (Jay Jay) (UK) Jim Petrover (JimLED) (Ukraine).
© RORY GALLAGHER LOOSE TALK 2013

Re: Update on Rory's Music on Video Games

Postby RobertaSparrow » 24 Apr 2014, 02:53

Here's an update-

I've been going on ad nauseum for a while now about getting Rory's music on some of the video game platforms, to get his music out there to new audiences. Well, unbeknownst to me, Daniel was already looking into it. But the current agreement with Sony does not allow Rory's company to license Rory's tracks to game developers. Perhaps when the agreement is re-negotiated next year that can be remedied.

I will spare everyone my usual rant about the stuffed suits that call the shots in the "music entertainment industry." And thank you Daniel and Donal, I know you have Rory's best interests at heart. So I shoulda known, you already saw these options . . . 8-)

And fingers crossed, maybe a prayer or to for good measure, the music will be available in the near future . . . :mrgreen:
RobertaSparrow

Postby mac » 26 Apr 2014, 14:42

Roberta, I'll have to disagree with you on this idea.
I think Rory would be sick at the idea of his music being used in a video game, remember this is a man who refused point blank to release a single.
A single would have brought his music to a far bigger audience, but Rory saw it as reducing his art to pop and as it turns out, he was right, the music has stood the test of time.
mac

Postby Flamenca » 26 Apr 2014, 18:55

Here's what the great man had to say about it himself.

http://www.rorygallagher.com/#/archives ... _gallagher

I don't think he was anti-singles as such ... more anti-bubble gum such as singles like 'My Ding-a-ling' by Chuck Berry.

Don't forget Philby was released as a single ... IMO a fantastic choice, great tune, great production, radio friendly.
The gate keepers at the BBC CHOSE not to include it in the radio 1 play list ...
More fool them ...
Flamenca

Postby RobertaSparrow » 26 Apr 2014, 19:45

mac wrote:Roberta, I'll have to disagree with you on this idea.
I think Rory would be sick at the idea of his music being used in a video game, remember this is a man who refused point blank to release a single.
A single would have brought his music to a far bigger audience, but Rory saw it as reducing his art to pop and as it turns out, he was right, the music has stood the test of time.

Hello Mac,

Respectfully, I'll have to agree to disagree with you on this one- Although if we were talking the older games like Guitar Hero or Rockband I would agree completely. But these next generation games are not like that, they are actually able to teach. Check out BandFuse in particular.

I posted links to those two platforms, so I'll not bore you with the same info yet again, but check those programs out first. I think Rory would be proud to be able to lend his art to teach and inspire young artists. The games bring the kids in with music they will like, then get them into actually playing it with a real guitar. They can learn techniques, scales, practice and improve their speed, even improvise. Two students can play against each other as well as the original band through the actual musicians' master tapes.

I understand what you're saying, but take a more in-depth look at the programs. I think Rory would be pleased.
RobertaSparrow

Postby RobertaSparrow » 26 Apr 2014, 20:00

Flamenca wrote:Here's what the great man had to say about it himself.

http://www.rorygallagher.com/#/archives ... _gallagher

I don't think he was anti-singles as such ... more anti-bubble gum such as singles like 'My Ding-a-ling' by Chuck Berry.

Don't forget Philby was released as a single ... IMO a fantastic choice, great tune, great production, radio friendly.
The gate keepers at the BBC CHOSE not to include it in the radio 1 play list ...
More fool them ...

Philby was an excellent choice for Rory to release as a single. It's clever, catchy, and his use of the Coral Sitar is a surprising and refreshing treat. But its subject matter was rather daring also.

I can see why Rory would elect to allow that one to stand apart as a single. That it would have commercial appeal was incidental. It was also original. And from the British government's point of view, and the conservative business element that sucks up to it, perhaps a little too independent for comfort.

Philby was a controversial, I'd say a rather sore subject for them. He was a double agent. Rory was pretty sophisticated about judging situations and people, good at separating the good from the, well, not so flattering part of a famous figure. Philby was a double agent, on the surface working for, and on the down-low, working against the British (and Western) interests.

It couldn't have been very palatable for more conservative Brits to hear someone to their senses singing the praises of a traitor. And Rory is Irish, so that maybe rubbed a bit more salt into the wound. But that is something I admire about him. To be able to see past the controversy, the notoriety of a famous figure, and still see the value or positive elements in a person, despite the prevailing opinion.
RobertaSparrow

Previous

Return to Rory Gallagher's Official Forum ~ Welcome