Rory @ Rockpalast Disc 3 ~ The Contrast 1979 to '90

Rory Fans ~ New members checkout updated forum rules.. here before posting please
Forum rules
styles/rules.png

LOOSE TALK ~ Moderator Team..
Cynthia Armento (RobertaSparrow) (USA) John Ganjamie (roryfan) (USA) JJ Joyce (Jay Jay) (UK) Jim Petrover (JimLED) (Ukraine).
© RORY GALLAGHER LOOSE TALK 2013

Rory @ Rockpalast Disc 3 ~ The Contrast 1979 to '90

Postby Jay Jay » 20 Mar 2014, 17:45

Thanks to our new member and Rory friend Woodeye2000 's topic in other section, I watched the Rockpalast Cologne 1990 gig. Which is the last gig on Disc 3 of The Complete Rockpalast Collection.
I did put another topic up here before about not watching to many of these later year concerts of Rory. As I find it difficult to see Rory in not too healthy a condition on stage. In contrast to what we used see him and as I always like to remember him. Seeing him so many times live in the peak of his health. Yet I must be mellowing these days and I don't find it quite so traumatic as I use to find watching these later concerts a few years back.
Saying that after finishing watching the 1990 gig. I started the disc from the beginning, at The Wiesbaden 1979 gig. This starts with Shinkicker which is the encore I just watched not long before on the Cologne 1990 gig also.

If you play the two Shinkickers one after the other. The differences IMHO are quite dramatic..
Even though Rory's playing in 1990 is terrific. He has not got IMHO the same electrifying stage presence and vitality as ten years previous.

Your thoughts Rory fans?

Rock On for Rory
Slainte, Jay Jay
Jay Jay

Re: Rory @ Rockpalast Disc 3 ~ The Contrast 1979 to '90

Postby RobertaSparrow » 20 Mar 2014, 20:12

You can clearly see all the years of hard work, all the touring, and all the stresses and strain that go with that near unbearable burden weighs heavily on Rory in those later clips- but you can also see his passion and gift for music hadn't waned- he loved playing before an audience.

The lyrics he sings in the 90's version-

Well a cold black feeling, at the onset of dawn,
I didn't have a choice, I got to carry on . . .

That is not the original lyric, he omits that verse in the 70's version at Rockpalast entirely-

But in this even earlier version, in this famous interpretation- 1978-

Well, a burning fever, Woke me up at the dawn
I didn't have a choice, I had to carry on . . .

Lyrics of a younger man with energy to spare-

Does it make a difference? In the '90s version he is still doing what he loves, it's 11 long hard years later, though. He was still miles ahead of his rivals, but he was burning through his energy, his youth.

Show of hands, how many of us would want to go back in time, give him a hug, and try to help him?
RobertaSparrow

Postby Jay Jay » 20 Mar 2014, 21:14

RobertaSparrow wrote:Does it make a difference? In the '90s version he is still doing what he loves, it's 11 long hard years later

Hi Cynthia,

An average person who lives their life normally from 31 to 42. They wouldn't change so much as we see Rory did over this period of time.
The same maybe said about Elvis Presley also through his later years. 42 is no age is it?

Trouble is they were both not what you could call average guys hey...

Two absolutely fantastic live musical entertainers :) :)
Jay Jay

Postby RobertaSparrow » 20 Mar 2014, 21:21

Rory was still a young man, he should have had plenty of time left, :( he should have lived a full, happy life. I believe I understand what happened, but it isn't for this public forum, :cry:

Suffice to say, he never lost his gifts for music, his passion as an artist, and his love for his fans, friends, and of course his family.
RobertaSparrow

Postby RobertaSparrow » 21 Mar 2014, 05:17

RobertaSparrow wrote:Rory was still a young man, he should have had plenty of time left, :( he should have lived a full, happy life. I believe I understand what happened, but it isn't for this public forum, :cry:

Suffice to say, he never lost his gifts for music, his passion as an artist, and his love for his fans, friends, and of course his family.

I wanted to add, he passed away at 47, but he did more living in his 47 years than most of us will do with our full allotment. He traveled the world how many times over? And touched, influenced so many others. I'd need several lifetimes to approach all he did in his brief time in this world. And all these years later, we, his fans who saw him play all those years ago, we still remember as though it was yesterday, and from all points of the globe, we still meet up to talk and remember him- I don't think Rory ever really realized how much of an impact he did have on so many.
RobertaSparrow

Postby Jay Jay » 21 Mar 2014, 22:24

RobertaSparrow wrote:I wanted to add, he passed away at 47, but he did more living in his 47 years than most of us will do with our full allotment. He traveled the world how many times over? And touched, influenced so many others. I'd need several lifetimes to approach all he did in his brief time in this world. And all these years later, we, his fans who saw him play all those years ago, we still remember as though it was yesterday, and from all points of the globe, we still meet up to talk and remember him- I don't think Rory ever really realized how much of an impact he did have on so man

Cynthia, bless you.

Those are my thoughts exactly too about Rory :)

Rock On for Rory
Slainte, Jay Jay
Jay Jay

Postby JimLED » 22 Mar 2014, 10:34

Yesterday I traveled back to home after long work day... and my mp3 player is always with me and turning on. So, I'm in the bus - the long way to home (about 50 minutes) and do listening Rory in my headphones.
At mid-way I fell asleep. But I woke up tearing ears incredible guitar solo! That was Rory at 1994 Lorrient with I Wonder Who !!! My gosh, he played it so strong, loud and masterly. He tried to do his best!
I think all that you said here before (about Jay Jay's Shinkickers vids mainly) depends on the spectra of his mood. God bless Rory!

Every gun makes its own tune.. Image
After a meal there's nothing like a good cigar.
JimLED

Postby Tibbierocks » 24 Mar 2014, 09:32

I struggle to watch latter day Rory. I struggle big time. His voice sounds fine... but his appearance. He's so obviously ill. I find it pretty upsetting.
Tibbierocks

Return to Rory Gallagher's Official Forum ~ Welcome