A Song That Brought Rory to Mind-

Rory Fans ~ New members checkout updated forum rules.. here before posting please
Forum rules
styles/rules.png

LOOSE TALK ~ Moderator Team..
Cynthia Armento (RobertaSparrow) (USA) John Ganjamie (roryfan) (USA) JJ Joyce (Jay Jay) (UK) Jim Petrover (JimLED) (Ukraine).
© RORY GALLAGHER LOOSE TALK 2013

Re: A Song That Brought Rory to Mind-

Postby Chris OK » 16 Mar 2014, 01:57

Well I'm here and will defend Joe B.
He is from upstate New york, Utica which is one very depressing place to be. I have family from there. It is a city from the past with little future. They are losing remington Arms next in Ilion, a little town outside Utica. What a sad state of affairs. a place for a real bluesman to learn his trade.
I saw Joe B solo and w Black Country Communion. Both great shows. Really liked the BCC show at a little club in Jersey, not far from Rorys last show in that state.
We are all individuals and don't know why people do what they do. I love hearing Joe do Cradle Rock personally. I hope more take up the cause , for my own selfish sake, lol.
Chris OK

Postby RobertaSparrow » 16 Mar 2014, 02:31

geekfreak wrote:The song that brought Rory to my mind was. Led Zeppelin= Since I`ve Been Loving You. as its a blues/rock song. which I now Rory could make his own.

That one? Rory could have done page and plant's parts and then some- I would have loved to see that-
RobertaSparrow

Postby RobertaSparrow » 06 Apr 2014, 17:44

I was thinking about how, early in his career, Rory got burned pretty much by his management, and quickly learned to take the reigns of his own career, make his own decisions and accept what came of them, for better or worse, since they were his decisions-

not Rory's lyrics, but the sentiment and independence in the lyrics made me think of him ;)

You can't please everyone, you've got to please yourself 8-)
RobertaSparrow

Postby JimLED » 08 Apr 2014, 12:19

Great song! Thank you Cynthia! Never heard before.
It's reminds me a style of an old JF' song "Someday Never Comes"..

Every gun makes its own tune.. Image
After a meal there's nothing like a good cigar.
JimLED

Postby RobertaSparrow » 08 Jun 2014, 11:33

I was watching YouTube (Insomnia gives me extra TV time ;) ) and was watching Rory playing that Gretsch Corvette that Donal had gotten him in California. Such a pretty little guitar. I watch Rory play it, and I think about the story Donal told, about finding it in an L.A. pawnshop while Rory was in a music store across the street checking out the wares (I've noticed, a music store is to a musician what a toy store is to a 5-year-old, they can't resist going in one and looking at the new toys). I'm from Los Angeles, and there are some parts of L.A., in Hollywood and the West Side in particular, where there are pawn shops and music stores practically next to each other, like a garment district, but for musical instruments).

Donal has related the story before, but he found the Gretsch almost by accident, got it for a song while Rory was in a music store, Rory came back empty-handed, but Donal had bought the little Gretsch for him. I see Rory play it on YouTube and I always wonder, before it was Rory's, was it sitting in some teenage boy's room in the suburbs, perhaps used to play a few surfing riffs, or noodle around before its owner decided to sell it? I wonder what its original owner would say, seeing it in the master's hands, being put through its paces?

The song that brought it to mind was Prince's Little Red Corvette, but YouTube doesn't have permission for it's use. No matter, I'd rather see Rory play it than hear Prince sing about it.
RobertaSparrow

Postby Madrid74 » 09 Jun 2014, 01:00

RobertaSparrow wrote:The song that brought it to mind was Prince's Little Red Corvette, but YouTube doesn't have permission for it's use. No matter, I'd rather see Rory play it than hear Prince sing about it.

Roberta do you refer to this clip ?

Musicians on a music store are worst than children at a toy store, they may forget even than the plane for the next gig doesn't wait for them :lol:
Madrid74

Postby RobertaSparrow » 10 Sep 2014, 10:53

Heard this one today, and immediately thought about Rory, and his decision to move forward with his music, his way- 8-) Simple tune, but very direct and to the point. Made me think of Rory, although, what he could do with a simple tune like that, if he wanted to :shock: :roll: could almost be a topic for another thread....

RobertaSparrow

Postby RobertaSparrow » 31 Dec 2014, 21:25

I heard this Dylan song this morning when I was getting ready for work. I thought about the lyrics, and about Rory at such a young age, going out on his own to play music, determined to roam the world, and play music. And what did he see in those explosive years?

I think the picture that these words paint suits him and his vocation.

(here's a link to it, if it works)

RobertaSparrow

Previous

Return to Rory Gallagher's Official Forum ~ Welcome