What book would you share with Rory?

Rory Fans ~ New members checkout updated forum rules.. here before posting please
Forum rules
styles/rules.png

LOOSE TALK ~ Moderator Team..
Cynthia Armento (RobertaSparrow) (USA) John Ganjamie (roryfan) (USA) JJ Joyce (Jay Jay) (UK) Jim Petrover (JimLED) (Ukraine).
© RORY GALLAGHER LOOSE TALK 2013

What book would you share with Rory?

Postby Annie Elliott » 27 Feb 2014, 16:09

If you could share one book or author with Rory, what/who would it be? For me it would be anything by Flannery O'Connor.
Annie Elliott

Re: What book would you share with Rory?

Postby RobertaSparrow » 27 Feb 2014, 16:52

I would want Rory to read Stephen King's Rita Hayworth and Shawshank Redemption. Although I wouldn't be at all surprised if he had read it. But I would want his opinions on it, an excellent story, and one I think he probably would enjoy.
RobertaSparrow

Postby capo » 27 Feb 2014, 17:20

I would share Gerry"The Rat" McAvoy's Riding Shotgun. Then I would help Rory track him down so he could have a,ah, 'word' with him. Yeah, I'm a good hater, but I dispise disloyalty near the top. Rory was a better man then me and i'm sure he wouldn't let it eat him up and hate Gerry. So by proxy, I'll do it for him. Peace, to some!
capo

Postby RobertaSparrow » 27 Feb 2014, 17:36

capo wrote:I would share Gerry"The Rat" McAvoy's Riding Shotgun. Then I would help Rory track him down so he could have a,ah, 'word' with him. Yeah, I'm a good hater, but I dispise disloyalty near the top. Rory was a better man then me and i'm sure he wouldn't let it eat him up and hate Gerry. So by proxy, I'll do it for him. Peace, to some!

:lol: :lol: :lol:
RobertaSparrow

Postby Tibbierocks » 27 Feb 2014, 17:46

capo wrote:I would share Gerry"The Rat" McAvoy's Riding Shotgun. Then I would help Rory track him down so he could have a,ah, 'word' with him. Yeah, I'm a good hater, but I dispise disloyalty near the top. Rory was a better man then me and i'm sure he wouldn't let it eat him up and hate Gerry. So by proxy, I'll do it for him. Peace, to some!

:lol: :lol: more power to you my friend! :D
Tibbierocks

Postby Tibbierocks » 01 Mar 2014, 12:36

Trying to give this some thought.. it's hard... like the other week with what would you show Rory if reappeared right now... I was trying to be sophisticated in my answer, when this little voice in my head kept saying 'show him your underwear!' LOL! :-D I don't think my attempts at culture fooled anyone :-D

If he hadn't read On the Road then that would be the first thing. I expect he had as most people of his age group seemed to. And he certainly knew about being on the road! I was a huge Hunter S Thompson fan in my early 20s. Hunter had a way back in the day of capturing America like no other, so Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas and Fear and Loathing on the Campaign Trail would be two. I had a spell of reading John Irving. A prayer for Owen Meany. We need to Talk about Kevin by Lionel Shriver was so original and I just loved how it tackled the mother/child issue and how it can go wrong. I remember being very moved by Memoirs of a Geisha back when I read it. Hemmingsway's For Whom the Bell Tolls had me crying my eyes out at the end of it. The phantom of the opera had me moved to tears as well. Aside from that, how bout some feminism? I don't know what Rory's views on women were (other than getting his heart broken several time it would appear). It would be interesting to know what his feeling regarding women's right were as Rory would be 3 years older than my dad if he were still with us and that generation (and to be honest every other generation to this day!) are not that enlightened... I have plenty of feminist texts around my house from my uni days that I could lend him.
Tibbierocks

Postby Tibbierocks » 01 Mar 2014, 12:40

Oh and Hammer of the Gods by Stephen Davis and Motley Crue's The Dirt as two books about bands leading a life Rory never did. What would his views be on those two? I'd love to know. Do you think Rory ever fancied throwing a tv out of a window and just held back? I tried to trash a hotel room myself. All I managed was to take the cushions off the sofa and throw them on the floor... then I thought the poor maid would have to clean up,so I put them back on the sofa. I try, but I'm just not Rock 'n' Roll :-D
Tibbierocks

Postby Annie Elliott » 02 Mar 2014, 12:01

Tibblerocks I love your suggestions! And the underwear thing is hilarious too. Roberta, I'm not a huge King fan but you make me want to read those stories, thanks.

I think Rory would like Hunter S. Thompson too, there is nothing else like him. I think Rory might have had an interest in feminism in a way, remember he has Djuana Barnes's 'Nightwood' on his shelf.
Last edited by Annie Elliott on 15 Jun 2015, 11:55, edited 1 time in total.
Annie Elliott

Postby Tibbierocks » 02 Mar 2014, 17:45

There's an interview with Rory when asked something along the lines of what kind of woman do you like and he said not too much make up and she needs to have her own opinions - or words similar. I thought to myself, really you like women with opinions because all the men I've dated certainly have not liked that about me....

I forgot Henry Miller. I could never work out whether Miller was a good guy or an asshole just using peoples' money to get by and taking trash about his ex-wife and women... then I read Anais Nin's Henry and June and started to see a different side to Miller - he loved women and some a little too much for his own good. I think he tried to macho himself up and appeal an asshole at times to hide his sensitivity. An interesting guy and great writer. Would of like to have passed my Miller books onto Rory and gotten his view on Miller.

I couldn't get into Nightwood. I tried to read that last year, I think.

H.S.T when he's off and running with an axe to grind is a blast like no other. I wanted to write to him at Owl Farm, but I never had the nerve to. Then he killed himself and so that was that and I do regret not being brave and sending Hunter a note.
Tibbierocks

Postby Madrid74 » 02 Mar 2014, 23:04

I would lend him Giorgio Faletti's Io Uccido, a thriller with psychological point.

But mostly some of the irreverent Tom Sharpe's novels, maybe one of the Wilt series , or Rioutous Assembly or The Midden.

And the one I would give him is "Nancy's Thesis" from Ramón J.Sender, a quite amusing view of Spain from the eyes of an American student in Sevilla during the 60s, the difference between customs and the languagea language confuse and attract Nancy in equal measure.
Whenever I read it makes me laugh out loud.

Dont't know but I think this would suit Rory's sense of humor
Madrid74

Next

Return to Rory Gallagher's Official Forum ~ Welcome