Tokyo 1991 Interview - Young Guitar Magazine

Who's that calling way out there? I've got your signal loud and clear

Tokyo 1991 Interview - Young Guitar Magazine

Postby Madrid74 » 31 Dec 2013, 02:23

Just listened this interview, and seems to me not posted at the forum.

I really enjoyed this interesting and relaxed talk with a touch of humor, many different subjects along the interview.
Love he appreciated so much flamenco , as once said to Rory, flamenco is like the blues both get out from your bowels.

Maybe on the net we can find any of the photos they took during the interview, you may clearly hear the shooting
Hope you like it

Madrid74

Re: Tokyo 1991 Interview - Young Guitar Magazine

Postby RobertaSparrow » 31 Dec 2013, 10:38

Madrid74 wrote:Just listened this interview, and seems to me not posted at the forum.

I really enjoyed this interesting and relaxed talk with a touch of humor, many different subjects along the interview.
Love he appreciated so much flamenco , as once said to Rory, flamenco is like the blues both get out from your bowels.

Maybe on the net we can find any of the photos they took during the interview, you may clearly hear the shooting
Hope you like it

02:20 Rory goes into detail about the gap in time between tours to Japan and points distant from his home, he refers to a 10 year pattern of basically completing and discarding to rework an entire album and the financial consequences of that

05:50- He talks about early in his career, being young and naive, and being taken advantage of by business people, and having to fight to get back the rights to his own music, and the lessons learned along the way.

06:38- Rory speaks about Donal, and how he relies on his younger brother to be there for him, to look after the details that Rory might miss, and you can hear the pride and affection in his voice.

09:15 Rory's first guitar, and the rarity of decent guitars in Cork when he was learning, teaching himself to play with very little help.

13:30- He discusses technique and the value of exposure to different styles of playing, emphasis on acoustic styles, folk, flamenco, jazz.

16:55- Rory talks about his emphasis on fills with rhythm guitar, not so much lead and flash, and his own style of playing.

20:07- Rory talks about his famous Strat.

23:20- Rory and Guyatone guitars.

25:35- They ask him to describe his instrument set-up from the gig the night before.

27:55- Rory's advice to young players.

28:45- Rory talks about his friend Mark.

And then it ends abruptly. . .
RobertaSparrow

Postby Madrid74 » 31 Dec 2013, 13:01

RobertaSparrow wrote:
02:20 Rory goes into detail about the gap in time between tours to Japan and points distant from his home, he refers to a 10 year pattern of basically completing and discarding to rework an entire album and the financial consequences of that

05:50- He talks about early in his career, being young and naive, and being taken advantage of by business people, and having to fight to get back the rights to his own music, and the lessons learned along the way.

06:38- Rory speaks about Donal, and how he relies on his younger brother to be there for him, to look after the details that Rory might miss, and you can hear the pride and affection in his voice.

09:15 Rory's first guitar, and the rarity of decent guitars in Cork when he was learning, teaching himself to play with very little help.

13:30- He discusses technique and the value of exposure to different styles of playing, emphasis on acoustic styles, folk, flamenco, jazz.

16:55- Rory talks about his emphasis on fills with rhythm guitar, not so much lead and flash, and his own style of playing.

20:07- Rory talks about his famous Strat.

23:20- Rory and Guyatone guitars.

25:35- They ask him to describe his instrument set-up from the gig the night before.

27:55- Rory's advice to young players.

28:45- Rory talks about his friend Mark.

And then it ends abruptly. . .

THANKS a lot Roberta for detailing and timing the interview :D

Yes, when speaking about Donal you feel how proud and how he appreciated his work. And if you let me I would like to THANK Donal and Daniel for their great great job, they're really keeping the flame alive :D

If you don't mind I'll send your post as well as the interview link to one friend of mine who is an english teacher. He's always looking for talks that his students, teenagers mostly, could feel close to them.

Happy New Year for everybody

Angeles

Ps.- Sorry about my english, as I haven't often been practising it on the last years it becomes a bit rusty :oops:
Madrid74

Postby Vincent » 21 Jan 2014, 22:36

Wow, thanks for that one! I never heard this interview before. As I posted before in the instrument section, in august 2012 I bought Rory's red 1991 Guyatone that was given to him in Japan (and as seen in my avatar).

I really like how Rory talks about having been given that guitar the night before and immediateley using it at the concert (around 24:00): " I jumped into the swimming pool straight away and tried it. That's the only way to try a guitar!"
Vincent

Return to Rory Gallagher & Taste TV & Radio Material... All Studio & LIve Recordings