Stories and Meanings behind Rory's songs!

Rory Fans ~ New members checkout updated forum rules.. here before posting please
Forum rules
styles/rules.png

LOOSE TALK ~ Moderator Team..
Cynthia Armento (RobertaSparrow) (USA) John Ganjamie (roryfan) (USA) JJ Joyce (Jay Jay) (UK) Jim Petrover (JimLED) (Ukraine).
© RORY GALLAGHER LOOSE TALK 2013

Re: Stories and Meanings behind Rory's songs!

Postby SUBY1974 » 25 Oct 2013, 21:35

Three Rory songs:- Meaning please? It kind of relates to Rory insomnia and the fact that he was a nocturnal being. Also this "mysterious woman" in his songs. Is it a woman he already knew or was he hoping to still meet her in another life, space or time? ;) The Shadowplay song also shows Rory awake at night.

Rory Gallagher
I'M NOT AWAKE YET
Deuce - 1971

I'm not awake yet, I haven't opened my eyes.
But I haven't been late yet, I'm gonna to be on time.
For today's the day that you are coming back.
And I can't wait to see you materialize.
How much can I take now before I break inside?
How long will it take now before I realize,
That I can't live without you by my side,
And nothing else will keep me satisfied?

I've looked at my heart now and I trusted my eyes.
I made that mistake now ain't gonna make it twice.
But time can put the man on the other side.
And I can't wait to see what's left behind.

I'm not awake yet, I haven't opened my eyes.
I haven't been late yet.
Gonna be on time, gonna be on time,
gonna be on, gonna be on time.
But today's the day that you are coming back,
And I can't wait to see you materialize.

Sleeps On A Clothes Line Rory Gallagher


I could sleep on a clothes line,
As easy as pie.
I can't keep my eyes open,
No matter how I try.
I gotta sit down,
I can't stay on my feet.
I been up all night,
I been walkin' the street.
Oh yeah...

Looking for my baby,
But everywhere I've gone.
Tell me I just missed her,
It's gone on too long.

Well, I'd go up on a mountain,
And I'd fight a wild cat.
Walk over Niagara,
And all the way back.
Get lost in the jungle,
And I'd live up a tree.

That's what I would want to do,
If you would stay with me.
Oh yeah...

Looking for you baby,
Gone from pillar to post.
Wverywhere I'd just missed you baby,
By a minute at the most.

Well I'm looking for you baby,
In the cafe's and the bar.
All the places is glad to know you,
And they say you cannot go too far.
But you've gone far enough baby,
If I find out I've done nothing wrong.
Don't have to ask who's the fool,
I won't be the one.
Owwwww.......not a loser...

Well, I would sleep on the tail-plane,
Of a Jumbo Jet.
Walk over the Ocean
And I'd never once get wet.
Go skating on an iceberg,
And that's what I would once do.
Lay it down a dozen times,
Just to hear you say,
"I Love You".

Looking for you baby,
But everwhere I go.
Tell me I just missed you baby,
By a minute at the most.

Well, I could,
Sleep on a clothes line,
As easy as pie.
I can't keep my eyes open,
No matter how I try.
I gotta sit down,
I can't stay on my feet.
I been up all night,
I been walkin' the street.
Yeah...

Looking for you baby,
Everwhere I go.
Tell me I just missed you baby,
You know, it's gone on too long.
Yeah..
Gone too long baby.
Yeah..

Songwriters
RORY GALLAGHER






Rory Gallagher
LONELY MILE
Jinx (bonus track) - 1982

It's five 'o'clock in the morning,
Ain't got a dime.
Standing under your window,
That ain't no crime.
Keeping out of the weather,
Up for the dawn.
Yeah I'm stealing stealing,
When I should be gone.

Six 'o'clock in the morning,
Ain't got no prayer.
Cause your never no answer,
But I know your there.

It's my own fault you see,
It must be the wine.
Got this fever, getting deeper,
Until it cuts like a knife.
yeah

You've got me walking that lonely mile,
Just like a child.
Why you trying to act so tough,
Tell me what's my crime.
yeah

Nine 'o'clock in the morning,
Still no sign.
Turn on the big sun,
Switch down the night.
Like a hand in a glove.

We were partners in crime,
I'm goin to leave here.
Shouldn't be here,
Walk down that lonely mile.
SUBY1974
 
Posts: 2101
Joined: 10 Sep 2010, 20:52

Re: Stories and Meanings behind Rory's songs!

Postby SUBY1974 » 25 Oct 2013, 21:42

Lonely Highway I believe is Rory walking Fulham High Road in London? What did he use think about when he walked down the street in the evenings? For me in the night when I am asleep,I think a lot and my mind is calm and quiet and then I get my answers to questions.....Subrata. x :D
SUBY1974
 
Posts: 2101
Joined: 10 Sep 2010, 20:52

Re: Stories and Meanings behind Rory's songs!

Postby RobertaSparrow » 26 Oct 2013, 07:42

SUBY1974 wrote:Three Rory songs:- Meaning please? It kind of relates to Rory insomnia and the fact that he was a nocturnal being. Also this "mysterious woman" in his songs. Is it a woman he already knew or was he hoping to still meet her in another life, space or time? ;) The Shadowplay song also shows Rory awake at night.
.


It's difficult to pursue those lines of thought- it crosses into philosophical/spiritual/metaphysical areas where a lot of people aren't comfortable wandering into. They say the brain is every bit as active when we're asleep as when we're awake- just different parts fire up when we're in that seemingly unconscious state- areas that are mostly idle during our waking hours, then when the areas that were so busy during the workday wind down, that other half takes over. If we are spiritual beings bound for a time to this physical plane, who is to say that only what happens in those waking hours has more validity or significance? This physical life is pretty short if we consider it in the context of eternity. We all come from different belief systems, and try to put order to the world based on what we've seen, learned, experienced. An awful lot of energy and drive goes into this brief flash of life in the physical, so what happens most of the time? I think we exist before we entered into this physical existence, and we will continue to evolve after we leave this plane. If our spiritual lives go on, if we are essentially spiritual beings bound to the physical for a time, perhaps it makes sense that most of our existence is in that spiritual relm- in eternity we continue on a path, and probably cross others paths continually.

Rory may well have been writing about a specific person, perhaps someone he knew from before and on some level was hoping to find again- perhaps that is what our lives really are, an eternal journey, with trace memories of people we have known before, and will see again. The more fortunate ones maybe cross paths with those they were meant to be with in this existence, and although we enter and leave this life at different times, if we are speaking of eternity, then we will see those we have loved in this existence but who have moved on- like passing through a place with thousands of rooms, and gardens, paths, and wanderings. Like walking a labyrinth- if two people are walking a labyrinth at the same time but start in different places, they will continue to pass each other, and sometimes walk together.

I think it was a specific person- someone he remembered, wanted or hoped to cross paths with, someone he will see again. I think we're all on that same path, and we'll all keep moving forward, meeting and parting with old friends and new ones, for eternity, and we will learn more on the journey.

My apologies to anyone uncomfortable with this line of thought.

The lyrics in those songs, to me, are all about the journey.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QXfJNrrcgiI
walking a labyrinth- a metaphore for the journey through life? or eternity?
User avatar
RobertaSparrow
 
Posts: 3599
Joined: 04 May 2012, 23:13
Location: Oregon

Re: Stories and Meanings behind Rory's songs!

Postby SUBY1974 » 26 May 2014, 22:11

We have not visited this topic for a while. What is the meaning of Rory's song Cradle Rock? Subrata.

If I was a cradle, then you'd let me rock
If I was a pony, then you'd let me trot
If I was the atom, you'd split me into three
When I wanna see you baby, don't you lock on me

If I was a baby, you wouldn't let me fall
If I was an outlaw, you wouldn't have me caught
If I was a tiger, you wouldn't have me caged
If I was somebody else then you would act your age

You'll miss out if you, leave me out of, of your
Day and night, I been trying to make you see that
Hear what I got to say
It's all about me and you

If I was a blind man, then you'd make me see
If I was a deaf man, you'd give me ears to hear
If I was a lame man, you'd give me your legs to walk
But if you were true to me baby, then listen to when I talk

If I was a cradle, then you'd let me rock
If I was a pony, then you'd let me trot
If I was the atom, split me into three
When I wanna see you baby, don't you lock on me

Would you, would you, let me rock, let me rock? Yeah

Wiki's meaning of the song :- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tattoo_(Ro ... gher_album)
SUBY1974
 
Posts: 2101
Joined: 10 Sep 2010, 20:52

Re: Stories and Meanings behind Rory's songs!

Postby SUBY1974 » 26 May 2014, 22:18

Walk On Hot Coals by Rory Gallagher. Meaning of song? Subrata. x


Well I lost my shirt in a card game in which I never had a chance
Well I lost my shirt in a card game at which I never had a chance
The deck was marked, the game was rigged, you could not tell at a glance

Well I lost my job at the weekend...

Well I walk on hot coals sleep on a bed of nails
Walk on thin ice, skate on razor blades
Got my little girl beside me, no matter what else fails

Well I spent it all down at the racetrack...
Gonna throw away my lucky penny...

Well I walk on hot coals sleep on a bed of nails
Walk on thin ice, skate on razor blades
Got my little girl beside me, no matter what else fails

Songwriters
RORY GALLAGHER



Read more: Rory Gallagher - Walk On The Hot Coals Lyrics
SUBY1974
 
Posts: 2101
Joined: 10 Sep 2010, 20:52

Re: Stories and Meanings behind Rory's songs!

Postby IrishBlues » 28 May 2014, 23:07

SUBY1974 wrote:We have not visited this topic for a while. What is the meaning of Rory's song Cradle Rock? Subrata.

If I was a cradle, then you'd let me rock
If I was a pony, then you'd let me trot
If I was the atom, you'd split me into three
When I wanna see you baby, don't you lock on me

If I was a baby, you wouldn't let me fall
If I was an outlaw, you wouldn't have me caught
If I was a tiger, you wouldn't have me caged
If I was somebody else then you would act your age

You'll miss out if you, leave me out of, of your
Day and night, I been trying to make you see that
Hear what I got to say
It's all about me and you

If I was a blind man, then you'd make me see
If I was a deaf man, you'd give me ears to hear
If I was a lame man, you'd give me your legs to walk
But if you were true to me baby, then listen to when I talk

If I was a cradle, then you'd let me rock
If I was a pony, then you'd let me trot
If I was the atom, split me into three
When I wanna see you baby, don't you lock on me

Would you, would you, let me rock, let me rock? Yeah

Wiki's meaning of the song :- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tattoo_(Ro ... gher_album)



It was inspired by the fact he was born at Rock Hospital in Dún na nGall.
IrishBlues
 
Posts: 20
Joined: 04 Oct 2013, 00:21

Re: Stories and Meanings behind Rory's songs!

Postby woodeye2000 » 04 Jun 2014, 03:01

SUBY1974 wrote:
loulamb wrote:Did anyone else think that on I Fall Apart, Rory was letting out all of his frustration with the break up of Taste but making the lyrics sound like a love song? Or do you think it really was a love song and the break up of Taste was shown in 'For the last time' ?



This is interesting Lou Lamb. For example when I heard "For The Last Time" from the lyrics it does seem that a woman may have let Rory down but it is in fact him saying that after Taste breakup he picked himself up and moved on. Lots of hidden meanings in his songs and I love interpretating them. I guess as an avid book reader I do the same with books. I just love this topic. Subrata. x


FOR THE LAST TIME LYRICS

You've done me wrong,
For the last time,
You've sung your song,
Now I'm going to sing mine,
Out loud, so loud,
Like the roaring sea.

You've played around,
For the last time,
You've shown your claws,
Now I'm going to show mine,
Watch out, I'll be about,
In the night.

You ran around,
Since the very first day,
You've had your moment,
Now I'm gonna have my play,
So long, I'll be gone,
In the night.

You put me down,
For the very last time,
I hit the floor,
But I got up on the count of nine,
Goodbye, don't cry,
When I'm gone.


This is one of my favorite Rory songs. How ironic that it is about the end of Taste-the guitar work is so tasty. I've nothing original to say, here. It's just that this particular song has been so evocative for me over the years. There has to have been a woman involved. Just close your eyes and listen to the guitar speak with such emotion.
woodeye2000
 
Posts: 33
Joined: 18 Mar 2014, 05:42

Re: Stories and Meanings behind Rory's songs!

Postby SUBY1974 » 12 Jun 2014, 21:56

woodeye2000 wrote:
SUBY1974 wrote:
loulamb wrote:Did anyone else think that on I Fall Apart, Rory was letting out all of his frustration with the break up of Taste but making the lyrics sound like a love song? Or do you think it really was a love song and the break up of Taste was shown in 'For the last time' ?



This is interesting Lou Lamb. For example when I heard "For The Last Time" from the lyrics it does seem that a woman may have let Rory down but it is in fact him saying that after Taste breakup he picked himself up and moved on. Lots of hidden meanings in his songs and I love interpretating them. I guess as an avid book reader I do the same with books. I just love this topic. Subrata. x


FOR THE LAST TIME LYRICS

You've done me wrong,
For the last time,
You've sung your song,
Now I'm going to sing mine,
Out loud, so loud,
Like the roaring sea.

You've played around,
For the last time,
You've shown your claws,
Now I'm going to show mine,
Watch out, I'll be about,
In the night.

You ran around,
Since the very first day,
You've had your moment,
Now I'm gonna have my play,
So long, I'll be gone,
In the night.

You put me down,
For the very last time,
I hit the floor,
But I got up on the count of nine,
Goodbye, don't cry,
When I'm gone.


This is one of my favorite Rory songs. How ironic that it is about the end of Taste-the guitar work is so tasty. I've nothing original to say, here. It's just that this particular song has been so evocative for me over the years. There has to have been a woman involved. Just close your eyes and listen to the guitar speak with such emotion.


Hi. It is a lovely song. Subrata. x
SUBY1974
 
Posts: 2101
Joined: 10 Sep 2010, 20:52

Re: Stories and Meanings behind Rory's songs!

Postby SUBY1974 » 12 Jun 2014, 22:11

With Cradle Rock song i do feel Rory is speaking about his destiny and fate. I had a conversation recently with my college friend and we talked about destiny and fate. I mean when we are born do we have a life planned out for us? Are there several routes to achieve our purpose in life, because I do believe everyone who comes into this world has a purpose and we don't come by chance. With Rory, he was born into an Irish family who had musical routes. His mother was a singer and actress and his father played the accordion and sang with the Tir Chonaill Ceili Band in Ballyshannon. Music was a part of his life from day one and according to the Eric Clapton autobiography that I read, Eric lived in a time where the radio was the main medium to hear music, as the internet is for today. Eric Clapton said that the music they heard was rich in diversity and you could hear rock and roll, blues, folklore, traditional, musical hall songs, jazz etc. For me the 90s was like that. So Rory was in the right place and the right time to make his mark on the music industry. I mean in his youth the 60s and 70s were rich in rock, jazz, folkore, blues, traditional music and rock and roll. It must have been so exciting to have been a teenager in the 60s with all these wonderful things happening - ask my father he would agree. He was here during Beatles London. Also Rory chose from an early age to be a musician and play guitar after hearing Elvis on radio and watching cowboy films where the cowboys played guitar. He was what five or six? I sometimes would have loved to have asked him if he knew himself subconsciously that his destiny was to be a musician? Some people seem to just "know". I don't think it can be explained. I don't think it is a conincidence either that he was born at the ROCK Hospital and christened at the ROCK Church. Maybe his fate was written in the stars..who knows?
While in Cork this year I spoke to Tony of THE GUITAR SHOP ( specialist guitar dealer and sales repair) and he said that Rory lived not far from Crowleys ( still very sad it closed last year) but even more interestingly the street he lived in are near theaters and pubs. To this day these theaters and pubs still host live shows as they did in the 60s and Rory was very lucky to have lived near these places and eventually play in them and start his band. I mean having Crowleys Music Store down your street and Mick Crowley helping you out with guitars etc must have been a godsend. I also feel that it was lucky that Rory had a good team of people around him to help him in his destiny as a musician and that includes his family, mother and brother, Mick Crowley, other musicians etc. He also seemed to have met the right people at the right time and it was the right time for him to share his music with the world. Is it just luck, fate, coincidence, destiny? I believe it was his destiny and fate and Cradle Rock reflects that. Rory was born to be a Rock Blues Guitarist Musician from birth. The other thing lets not forget Rory was a Guitar God so it must have been his destiny and fate. I think that answers the question as he was so gifted and that gift had to be shared with the world. His guitar playing and music made so many people happy.

The first lines of the song really some that up and him later asking the audience "Will you let me rock?" Subrata. x

If I was a cradle, then you'd let me rock
If I was a pony, then you'd let me trot
If I was the atom, you'd split me into three
When I wanna see you baby, don't you lock on me


Bob Dylan also said he knew his destiny was to be a musician and he knew he would make it. Bob said he kept the feeling to himself because it was too fragile
to share. He said it on a you tube video in 2005. Subrata. x


I forgot to mention Rory's Uncle Jimmy ( his mum's brother) was a good singer and it was also said that the hydroelectric dam that was built in Ballyshannon and his father helped in the construction of it powered his guitar in Ireland. Ireland is also rich in music but Rory laid down the blues and rock roots in Ireland and he opened the music doors to Irish artists. He was also Ireland's first true international rock musician. Subrata. x
SUBY1974
 
Posts: 2101
Joined: 10 Sep 2010, 20:52

Previous

Return to Rory Gallagher's Official Forum ~ Welcome

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests