Induct Rory into the Blues Hall of Fame?

Rory Fans ~ New members checkout updated forum rules.. here before posting please
Forum rules
styles/rules.png

LOOSE TALK ~ Moderator Team..
Cynthia Armento (RobertaSparrow) (USA) John Ganjamie (roryfan) (USA) JJ Joyce (Jay Jay) (UK) Jim Petrover (JimLED) (Ukraine).
© RORY GALLAGHER LOOSE TALK 2013

Induct Rory into the Blues Hall of Fame?

Postby RobertaSparrow » 17 Sep 2012, 03:47

Hello Regina, I saw your question for Rory's family. I'm here in the Pacific Northwest, and like you, I am not content that Rory hasn't received the recognition which he sought and rightly deserves here in the U.S.A. He worked tirelessly to promote the music he loved, and recognition for all he has done is long overdue.

MullenRIA wrote:Hello Donal and Daniel:

Thank you so much for your hard work! Mentioning Rory around New York every chance I get,--and am amazed that there are SO many people who remember him fondly and with great appreciation!

My questions involve Rory's legacy as a Blues man. Certainly, he described himself as a folk musician, as someone who played rock, of course...But the Blues was special. Not watered down, but hard core, roots Blues. What troubles me is that the current Blues media ignores him almost completely. I can't be alone in feeling that it's simply not good enough for Rory to be a footnote in Blues history, propping up other artists by association. While the Prime Mover Project did place a series of bricks at the Delta Blues Museum in Rory's honor (sorry I couldn't get down there to photograph them for you yet), I'd really like to know how else we can help spread Rory's legacy as a *Blues* musician here in the States.

Regina

So, a few weeks ago I was checking out Robert Cray's wiki and came across mention of the Blues Foundation out of Memphis, Tennessee. Robert Cray was added to their Blues Hall of Fame.

Now, everyone knows there is a petition to have Rory inducted into the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame, and most everyone has signed that one, http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/rorygallagherhalloffame/ in case you haven't had a chance yet to sign it . . .

but this seems at least as appropriate. Their site: http://www.blues.org/halloffame/#ref=halloffame_index They call themselves the "International home of Blues Music." I checked out their site, searched for Rory Gallagher and saw nothing for him- not one mention. Eric Clapton is in there (I counted 3 awards!) so it can't be because they're excluding non-Americans. I wrote to their contact person,] "For more information, contact Jay Sieleman at (901) 527-2583 xt 12 or jay@blues.org" 2 weeks ago to try to find out how to get them to recognize Rory for his contributions to blues music, especially for his efforts to bring the music to new audiences all over the world. So far I have heard nothing back.

But I saw your question posed to Rory's family, and I wondered if perhaps anyone on this forum, (Especially Americans, since it is here that I feel he needs to be recognized- the rest of the world seems to already be on that page) might be interested in getting him recognized? Is that something that others on this forum might want to pursue? Have any suggestions for how to get Rory recognized by the Blues Foundation? I'm willing to do whatever (as long as it doesn't cost in money as I have just joined the ranks of the unemployed) such as try to start a petition, etc.

RobertaSparrow

(copy of letter sent to Blues Foundation)-
The Blues Foundation
Memphis, Tennessee

Hello Mr. Jay Sielman,

I was checking out your website after reading up on some my favorite blues musicians (Robert Cray specifically) and noted that many have been mentioned in your Blues Hall of Fame.

One of my favorites is not from “around here” but has done so much to bring our native American blues to the rest of the world- the late Irish blues guitarist Rory Gallagher. Sadly he passed away in 1995 at the young age of 47, but he was an extraordinary musician who had a lifelong passion for the blues and spent his entire life bringing that music to new audiences all over the world.

Rory Gallagher listened to and incorporated so many early American blues artists’ music into his repertoire that I can’t list them all here, and unlike so many of his European contemporaries, he never tried to claim their music as his own- he always gave credit to the original musicians whenever he could.

Many of the songs he was known for performing, although he would change the lyrics or rework them to make them more accessible, and he always noted their original authors (examples: I Could’ve Had Religion, All Around Man, Bullfrog Blues, Want Ad Blues, Rag Mama Rag). Of note, Bob Dylan enjoyed Rory’s version of Could’ve Had Religion so much he wanted to cover it himself. He was surprised to learn from Rory himself that he did not compose the song, but credited it to Junior Wells.

I had wanted to search your website to see if Rory Gallagher is mentioned or acknowledged in any way but could find nothing about him.

So my question is, has Rory Gallagher ever been considered or nominated for the Blues Hall of Fame? and if not, is there a way to do that for him?

He loved American music, and much of his own compositions are about American places, people, and culture, and he worked very hard to be recognized here, but never achieved the success many of his contemporaries did, although he was at least as talented, and some, as I, would say, was unfairly under-rated in comparison to, say, Eric Clapton, John Mayall, Peter Green, and others “not from around here. It is a shame that he has become relatively unknown in this country. I saw him perform many times in the 1970’s and he always brought the house down with his wonderful playing. He was an extraordinary musician and composer in his own right.

His family, friends, and fans have a website about him- http://www.rorygallagher.com

Please let me know if there is a way to have his contribution to blues music recognized by the Blues Foundation. He deserves recognition for his contributions.

Thank You,
RobertaSparrow

Re: Induct Rory into the Blues Hall of Fame?

Postby RobertaSparrow » 17 Sep 2012, 23:48

Today I got a response from The Blues Foundation out of Memphis- Posted below is their reply and my response. I don't want to pressure them unduly, but I would like to emphasize to them why Rory Gallagher is more than deserving of their recognition. Any suggestions?

--------------------------------
On Mon, Sep 17, 2012 at 1:31 PM, Jay Sieleman <jay@blues.org> wrote:

So my question is, has Rory Gallagher ever been considered or nominated for the Blues Hall of Fame? and if not, is there a way to do that for him?

There is no nomination process for the Blues Hall of Fame. The process is described here https://www.blues.org/halloffame/index.php. The committee is well aware of Rory Gallagher, but I will relay your thoughts to them.

Jay Sieleman

President & Chief Executive Officer

The Blues Foundation

421 South Main

Memphis, TN 38103

901.527.2583 ext. 12

jay@blues.org

Campaign for the Blues Hall of Fame – Raise the Roof! If not us, who? If not now, when?

Dear Mr. Sieleman,

Thank you for getting back to me. I appreciate the response. Is it possible for members of the public to contact members of the committee, the panel's blues scholars in order to further encourage or advocate for Rory's inclusion? He had a huge impact in all of the categories listed: Performers, Individuals, Classic of Blues Literature, Classic of Blues Recording (Song), Classic of Blues Recording (Album), and generally in promoting the blues as an art form and introducing the blues to new audiences all over the world. Furthermore, Rory Gallagher's music has been a continuing inspiration to young and upcoming musicians and artists internationally.

If additional information or input from other blues aficionados would be helpful please let me know.

Thanks,
Cynthia
RobertaSparrow

Postby MullenRIA » 18 Sep 2012, 02:22

This is great! With enough pressure through questioning his non-inclusion, we can get Rory first recognized and played on a broader scale,--and then inducted. An additional approach is to put pressure on through independent projects that tie Rory (in this case) into the roots.

The social web is perfect for this sort of grassroots activity. So, for example, on Pinterest, I started a Blues thread, not a "Rory" thread. Yet, Rory will figure prominently in the thread making an easy association, not a hammer over the head. For hammering, I use Facebook, but I also flag a LOT of Blues videos, so people know that there is a connection. Dropped my personal Facebook account to make it a company account, because I wanted to make it publicly viewable. This keeps me from extremely silliness, but also makes a bread crumb for anyone interested in the Blues/photography. :o)) The brick program was also an easy in: hopefully, Robert Plant took a stroll down the brick path at the Delta Blues Museum and was reminded of Rory's legacy at this summer's Sunflower Festival. [ tee hee ]. St. Rory intervened and I got one of the last copies of Fin Costello's photography book, which serves as constant inspiration. A year-long Rory gallery in New York [ similar to the Phil Lynott exhibit in Dublin ] would be how hard? I dunno, but it's worth looking into. Espcially since marcus' book is coming out soon...Yippee!!

To me, the most important of Rory's contributions was to treat the Blues as *art*. He didn't steal, he analyzed, internalized and interpreted. This is why the Stones "Little Red Rooster" is un-listenable today,--but Rory's covers and Defender only get better with age. Leadbelly's Western Plain wasn't even Blues,--I'd call it folk music...but look at how many people play it today *because* they listened to Rory!

The major complaint I have with so-called "Blues artists" of today, is that they are seeking to 'evolve" the Blues without even knowing the heart of the various traditions that form the roots. Rory offers a strong, vibrant alternative.
MullenRIA

Postby eno » 18 Sep 2012, 22:41

I think this is a great idea, much better fit than that other place. I get the feeling he'd find all this amusing somehow.
"aint no use to change the way I am"
eno

Postby Sinner Girl » 20 Sep 2012, 17:14

I think this is a great idea,Rory is rock blues guitarist, this is a place for him not same commercial RHOF
''When I was a cowboy out on the Western Plain''

''Being back home means a lot.A bit a peace and quiet and some rest . I write all my songs at home.Its an amazing thing, the minute I get here I begin to wright'
Rory Gallagher
Sinner Girl

Postby RobertaSparrow » 21 Sep 2012, 02:22

I hope they don't get irritated with me but I decided to e-mail them one more time as follows- I don't want to be a pest but if it helps- The worst they can do i suppose is send me an angry note.

---------------
The Blues Foundation
Memphis, Tennessee

Hello Mr. Jay Sielman,

One last request. Promise. Could you give this a listen and forward it to the nominating committee?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sPdUUMzMCO8

I believe this is the last recording Rory Gallagher made before he died. It was a tribute to the music of Peter Green (Fleetwood Mac when they still did the blues), and he said of the recording, " I thought Rory's version of 'Leaving Town Blues' was the best track on the album, maybe I will return the tribute one day," Quote from http://www.fleetwoodmac.net/penguin/qa/ ... en_qa2.htm

Thank you,

Cynthia
YouTube - Videos from this email
-----------
RobertaSparrow

Postby LittleMissBlues » 08 Oct 2012, 14:13

This is a very good idea. I have just joined this forum, hence delay in replying to this tread, but if there's anything I can do please me know to help him get the recognition he rightfully deserves! Thank you for sending your email to them.
LittleMissBlues

Postby RobertaSparrow » 08 Oct 2012, 23:29

LittleMissBlues wrote:This is a very good idea. I have just joined this forum, hence delay in replying to this tread, but if there's anything I can do please me know to help him get the recognition he rightfully deserves! Thank you for sending your email to them.

Wish I knew a way to get it done. Sad to note the R&R Hall of Fame ignored him again. My daughter told me, "They'll induct him- they just haven't done it yet." The optimism of youth. . . :lol:
RobertaSparrow

Postby Jay Jay » 11 Nov 2012, 22:24

Can any of our Rory fans in the USA elaborate on this here from the Loop ..

Was watching a newscast from Cleveland and the camera panned by a display box
with a one of a kind strat in it.. that looked very familiar!Lo and behold it
was Rory's guitar in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame!Looking at their website he
was nominated last year (for 2012).The nominee list was 50 people,cut to 12 and
then to 6.
He is mentioned numerous times in different articles with the "Ghost Blues" DVD
in the library archives. One reporter couldn't understand
why he was not in the Rock Hall! I think I might go visit it now that it has
real rock credibility..:) At long last!
Idlewild
Jay Jay

Postby RobertaSparrow » 12 Nov 2012, 04:27

I searched the web, didn't find a reference to it, but I found a link to Rolling Stone Magazine under an article titled Vote for the 2013 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Inductees" -Read more: http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/ ... z2ByUC4imw I did not vote for any of those listed, but I did add the following comment in the space provided after the article: Why Why Why isn't Rory Gallagher listed as a nominee for the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame! Can't he be added? Just include all the people who have already signed the petition to have him inducted- that should be more than enough to get him on the list- he already earned it!

The article goes on to say "from now [article dated October 4] until December 3rd, you can vote right here for the nominees you'd like to see inducted. Pick up to five acts – the top five vote-getters will comprise a "fan's ballot" that will count as one of the more than 600 ballots that determine the Class of 2013. The results will be announced in mid-December." The list doesn't include Rory, but perhaps if enough people post a request or demand in that same comment section, and suggest that he be included someone will notice and add him. It couldn't hurt.

And something else- other previous inductees who thought highly of Rory, such as Bob Dylan, U2, Rod Stewart, Eric Clapton, and others, why can't they be persuaded to help? Just a thought. Anyone else?
RobertaSparrow

Next

Return to Rory Gallagher's Official Forum ~ Welcome