BBC Radio 2 - Old Grey Whistle Test 40 with Rory

Rory Fans ~ New members checkout updated forum rules.. here before posting please
Forum rules
styles/rules.png

LOOSE TALK ~ Moderator Team..
Cynthia Armento (RobertaSparrow) (USA) John Ganjamie (roryfan) (USA) JJ Joyce (Jay Jay) (UK) Jim Petrover (JimLED) (Ukraine).
© RORY GALLAGHER LOOSE TALK 2013

Re: BBC Radio 2 - Old Grey Whistle Test 40 with Rory

Postby ken » 12 Sep 2011, 11:46

Lovely interview, and good to hear Ralph and Donal.
When I worked at the bbc a couple of years ago I had a couple of discussions with Donal and the bbc re the material that they had on Rory.
Besides the usual hassels, there seemed a genuine part of both parties to produce something as Rory was very proud and happy with the material he produced for the bbc.
I even interviewed Bob Harris about three years ago, and took some photos of him and Joe Bonamassa on his Saturday programme which his wife Trudy kindly invited me to.
I was dissapointed that Bob could not remember the birthday concert at Sheppherds bush which he introduced, as it really is a wonderful concert and really shows what Rory was all about, but as the man was about to undergo major surgery, he probably had his mind on other things, including the live show in a couple of hours time.
It is not for me to speculate or suggest material, and frankly the bbc would not have listened, or what was the commercial arm of the bbc anyway.
There is also in concert and the radio programmes with Alan Black, so yes a considerable archive of material re the bbc.
Personally speaking I think we owe it to Rory to get this material properly edited,cleaned up and produced.
Of course I only see it from a fans perspective, but poor quality bootlegs are not really the answer, or in fairness a fitting legacy to the great man and his band members.
We can only hope?
ken

Postby innuendo » 12 Sep 2011, 19:20

you got a point ken. but there are some pretty good sounding rory bootlegs from bbc
I watched as fear took the old men's gaze
Hopes of the young in troubled graves
'I see no day' I heard him say
So grey is the face of every mortal
innuendo

Postby ken » 16 Sep 2011, 13:08

Yes Innuendo, there are and on you tube you can view some excellent material.
However, I think it only right that this material could be properly edited, with some contributions from the key people involved.
I know the camera man, or one of them has a master tape of the 'birthday concert' or claims to as he has said so on you tube.
To me and I know other fans this is a great concert of the man's music. It has a very tight feel and Rory was on his top game in my opinion.
There have been discussions in regard to this concert with the bbc, it is not up to me to speculate the details, or the business details as I was not involved in the details.
To me the Isle of wight/taste, and this concert remain part of the crown jewels for us fans. The performance and music is simply wonderful.
As I previously stated we can only hope, as I think the man would want his music to be heard to a wider/ new audience.
Everything else seems rather secondary, but that is me speaking as a fan?
ken

Postby innuendo » 16 Sep 2011, 13:22

that concert for rory's 28 birthday is truly great! i hope someday we'll see it officially released
I watched as fear took the old men's gaze
Hopes of the young in troubled graves
'I see no day' I heard him say
So grey is the face of every mortal
innuendo

Previous

Return to Rory Gallagher's Official Forum ~ Welcome