Rory and the "Other" Irish Blues Guitarist

Rory Fans ~ New members checkout updated forum rules.. here before posting please
Forum rules
styles/rules.png

LOOSE TALK ~ Moderator Team..
Cynthia Armento (RobertaSparrow) (USA) John Ganjamie (roryfan) (USA) JJ Joyce (Jay Jay) (UK) Jim Petrover (JimLED) (Ukraine).
© RORY GALLAGHER LOOSE TALK 2013

Rory and the "Other" Irish Blues Guitarist

Postby capo » 14 Mar 2015, 22:25

Legacy wise, the internet and social media, is where Rory's future lies, in both attracting new fans and influencing others. With that in mind, I have been very happy to watch as Rory's most popular Youtube clip, "Bullfrog Blues", closes in on 5 million views. Until, that is, I stumbled onto Gary Moore's "Still Got the Blues", which now stands at over 21 million views! Wow. On further browsing, while Rory's next most popular clip is "Too Much Alcohol", at about 2 million, Moores next one is "Parisienne Walkways" at over 11 million views! It got me thinking that Moore's legacy, popularity wise, is much greater then Rory's. In some ways its simplistic to compare the two, true both Irish, both Blues/Rock guitarists, but very different in style and performing. But, when you mention one, the other's name soon follows. Moore had much greater success then Rory in the U.S. for instance, "Still Got the Blues" in 1990 going Gold, and Moore had something Rory never got, radioplay, not with Lizzy, but solo wise. I never ONCE heard Rory on the radio, but I heard Moore quite a bit in the 80's and 90's, when I still listen to FM radio. I'm not sure where I'm going with this, they were not really rivals in life, but friends. But I guess I'm looking at Moore, in death, as Rory's rival, in todays media age. It seems most knowledgeable music fans I speak to know Moore, but few have ever heard of Rory, sadly. I don't think Rory can or will ever come close to Moore's overall name recognition and popularity. But I think I'm right on this score, taking nothing away from Moore, as a person or a musician, where he is loved by many, Rory is truly beloved. So say I.
capo

Re: Rory and the "Other" Irish Blues Guitarist

Postby Jay Jay » 14 Mar 2015, 23:15

capo wrote:I don't think Rory can or will ever come close to Moore's overall name recognition and popularity.

Hi Capo,
If you'd seen last nights BBC TV programme "Irish Rock Music Story" they see it totally different to your view, on this side of the pond..
Rory in the programme had a fair few minutes praise with Van Morrison as the pioneers of the Irish Rock moment..

Gary Moore sadly never had a mention.
Jay Jay

Postby RobertaSparrow » 15 Mar 2015, 09:42

Jay Jay wrote:
capo wrote:I don't think Rory can or will ever come close to Moore's overall name recognition and popularity.

Hi Capo,
If you'd seen last nights BBC TV programme "Irish Rock Music Story" they see it totally different to your view, on this side of the pond..
Rory in the programme had a fair few minutes praise with Van Morrison as the pioneers of the Irish Rock moment..

Gary Moore sadly never had a mention.

I see Capo's point though, from the point of view of another American. Rory was well respected here amongst people who knew of him and heard him play. He was unforgettable for those of us who saw him. But I cannot recall ever hearing him on the radio, even back in the day, except on the album rock type FM stations in Los Angeles. I seldom saw his shows advertised anywhere. News of his concerts spread pretty much by word of mouth from die-hard fans of his, mostly musicians of varying degrees of expertise and people who were seriously into blues guitar.

It was different over there, I can see that from the YouTube videos of all his shows over the years in Europe. But he had no interest in "top 40" as we called it, or pop music, so we didn't hear him much on the radio. He didn't tour hear as often after the early 70s, not like he did in Europe (the long flights surely played a part in that. I don't really mind flying but that is a loooong flight from here to there).

He pretty much faded from the scene here. I have no doubt if he had the advantage of the internet during his career he would have surpassed many of his peers in getting the exposure that he deserved, but back then if you weren't getting airplay on the stations, or seen on Saturday Night Live or covered extensively in the press, you would be hard pressed to get new fans, he just didn't have the opportunities for exposure that exist today. It isn't fair, but it is a fact.

I really enjoyed the program that the BBC aired. I hope they release even more video gems of Rory that we have not yet seen.

Coincidentally when I came home from work well after midnight last night, as soon as I walked in the door I heard Rory on the radio. One of the programs on National Public Radio here was playing Overnight Bag. That is the second time in as many months that I have heard Rory on the radio. Brightened my evening considerably.

Rory was not well known here after the mid 70s or so. But that can certainly change. Word of mouth, and the internet, have brought Rory new fans. It can't ever be the same as being in the same room with Rory and watching him play magic on a guitar, but he is still inspiring people.

A couple of days ago I posted that clip of Rory playing All Around Man on his birthday, and some friends of mine who had never seen him before were impressed enough to look further into that amazing man on the internet.

If the musicians whom Rory inspired will speak up for him, and the young musicians become aware of him, that can change for the better.
RobertaSparrow

Postby AnnaMaria » 15 Mar 2015, 10:23

Here in Sweden Lizzy was huge in the 70´and when Moore Went solo you followed his Music too beside Lizzys. I liked Moore but I liked Lizzy more as far as I can remember.
No one in my surrounding mentioned Rory. We didn´t know he existed :cry:
AnnaMaria

Postby Stevo » 15 Mar 2015, 12:29

To me, Gary just played whatever was fashionable at the time. He went through a rock/metal please in the 80s, then jumped onto the blues bandwagon after Stevie Ray Vaughan and others had made the blues more mainstream and radio friendly.
Still Got The Blues chord progression is a cycle of 5ths, just like Parisianne Walkways, and countless other tunes.
His guitar playing on his 'blues' albums was far too fast and distorted, like he was still in the rock/metal zone.
I had the chance to see him on the Still Got The Blues UK tour, but we chose to go to a little club and see a new band called Black Crowes instead.
Stevo

Postby JimLED » 15 Mar 2015, 13:13

I had a chance to saw the man in my home town at 2010 and record the show.
Few months before he passed away...

Other 8 vids under the spoiler.

Spoiler: SHOW

Every gun makes its own tune.. Image
After a meal there's nothing like a good cigar.
JimLED

Return to Rory Gallagher's Official Forum ~ Welcome