Rory's Music Collection

Rory Fans ~ New members checkout updated forum rules.. here before posting please
Forum rules
styles/rules.png

LOOSE TALK ~ Moderator Team..
Cynthia Armento (RobertaSparrow) (USA) John Ganjamie (roryfan) (USA) JJ Joyce (Jay Jay) (UK) Jim Petrover (JimLED) (Ukraine).
© RORY GALLAGHER LOOSE TALK 2013

Re: Rory's Music Collection

Postby Tibbierocks » 17 Feb 2015, 15:30

I tried to listen to Ornette Coleman, the shape of jazz to come.. Hmm. Wasn't feeling that at all! Some people think Scott Walker's records are hard to listen to, but I think I found something way harder.
Tibbierocks

Postby RobertaSparrow » 17 Feb 2015, 19:47

Tibbierocks wrote:I tried to listen to Ornette Coleman, the shape of jazz to come.. Hmm. Wasn't feeling that at all! Some people think Scott Walker's records are hard to listen to, but I think I found something way harder.

Now, that is one artist (Scott Walker) that I think I would be surprised to find in Rory's collection, but maybe not. If he was as eclectic in his music collection as he was in his taste for reading material, then I think he might well have some of Walker's later stuff in there. But some of Scott Walker's gives me nightmares.
RobertaSparrow

Postby Tibbierocks » 24 Feb 2015, 11:36

In regards to Scott's music, I'm not sure if I could picture Rory listening to Scott 1, 2, 3 or 4. Scott's 70s output is dreadful as admitted by the man himself, as he was making records to end a contract and to make money to feed his wife and daughter. Rory would of been aware of the Walker Brothers, no doubt.
The only record from Scott in the 80s is Climate of Hunter. It didn't sell well and was pretty much buried by Virgin records. I would doubt Rory would have even heard of it. It got no airplay.
Then it's Tilt in 1995, I think, and Rory wasn't well by then... I'm not sure if Tilt would have been a good idea at that time. Scott's profile was lifting hugely by the documentary 30th Century Man in 2006 - that's when I heard of Scott. I've been very, um what's the word... engrossed in many ways in Scott since. I can handle the latter day stuff fine now. Bish Bosch, The Drift and his latest with Sunn O. He doesn't scare me, though he might aim to shock the listener. He's a sweetie. Great sense of humour. Gotta get on board with him humour. He is having a laugh a lot of time.
Interestingly, Scott is a European/arthouse film buff, who is considered a bit of an expert, has studied art, is a big reader, loves jazz, suffers from anxiety, who makes music on his terms and does not compromise (not after the 70s). Sound like someone in particular? I think Rory and Scott should have been friends.
Tibbierocks

Postby Annie Elliott » 24 Feb 2015, 20:44

Tibbierocks, wow you're amazing. Thanks for that. I'd never even heard of Scott Walker and here you are an expert. (And he's almost as good looking as Rory!) Scott reminds me a little of Tony Bennett even, and if you ever get a chance to see Tony Bennett live please do. Scott is amazingly intelligent and articulate. I agree, I think he and Rory should have been friends.

Listening to Scott's interviews about the inspiration for some of his songs, I'm transfixed. I like to think of how Rory would be today, musing just like this about how he built his songs.
Annie Elliott

Postby Tibbierocks » 25 Feb 2015, 17:08

I am a scott anorak. I have to becareful not to turn this into the scott walker forum! Scott was very handsome. I still think he is even though he's 72 now, but I'm in the minority. Scott likes to dress his songs... that's his thing. he starts with the lyrics and goes from there - even if that means using a dead pig as percussion or chisels or machettes - which he likes to use. :-D He's doing a soundtrack to the new robert pattinson right now. Stop me before I carry on about scott... :-D
Tibbierocks

Postby Tibbierocks » 25 Feb 2015, 19:02

I also suspect Rory to be an INFJ personality type and the same of Scott. I had this discussion with some follow Scott fans the other week and they felt he is either INFJ or INFP. Either way that's good for friendship. I intend to go back in time and arrange a 'playdate' for them both. :-D Scott would complain in the late 60s about how no one wanted to talk about films with him - Bergman in particular. Both Scott and Rory liked Alain Delon. Both Scott and Rory have suffered from the 'what's is up with them' questioning. Both valued their privacy (we don't know anything much about Rory's love life and Scott is a like opening up a can of worms! Only just found out the other day his long term partner is female because Scott, like rory, gets the 'is he gay' line all the time). On the face of it an ex-pat American, who doesn't appear to have any religious beliefs, who starts out as a artist for Disney and session player in his late teens, then ends up in near enough a boyband here in the UK playing top of the pops, might not sound on paper like a good friend for Rory, but I think he just might have been. There's a lot of similarities and a lot more than meets the eye. Oh and Scott got asked a couple of years back what he sings in the shower and he answered the blues.
Tibbierocks

Postby Tibbierocks » 25 Feb 2015, 19:06

Scott-Walker-Jake-Walters.jpg

and it's even been suggested has Scott got aspergers? This all sounds familiar, doesn't it? :D

anyways here's a pic of scott from a couple of years ago aged 70. Right I'll shut up now about Scott. :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tibbierocks

Postby RobertaSparrow » 25 Feb 2015, 20:37

Tibbierocks wrote:
Scott-Walker-Jake-Walters.jpg

and it's even been suggested has Scott got aspergers? This all sounds familiar, doesn't it? :D

anyways here's a pic of scott from a couple of years ago aged 70. Right I'll shut up now about Scott. :D

:lol: Suffice it to say the one thing we all have in common on this board is our love and respect for Rory and his music. I came across some newer Scott Walker on some quasi-documentary program, sent it to my daughter, who found his music to be unbearably depressing. She sent it to one of the guys in her band, and his response? "I thought we were friends." ;)

And I seriously doubt that Rory had Aspergers. Scott Walker? don't know. Don't care. I know that I have it, and I know that none of us are cut from the same cloth.

Ornette Coleman, from 1959,

Rory on sax:

I hear the influence. I wish he had continued on with sax as well. Wonder why he stopped?
RobertaSparrow

Postby Stevo » 26 Feb 2015, 17:24

I've got a short interview of Rory on VHS from the Channel 4 programme Rock Steady, where he talks about the charts, Gary Moores new album (Still Got The Blues), and Fresh Evidence. He says his new album is influenced by Slim Harpo, Scrapper Blackwell and Son House. Country-blues and electric country-blues. It's a very short interview, then he plays a bit of slide on the National. I'm guessing these were some of the artists is his record collection.
Stevo

Postby RobertaSparrow » 26 Feb 2015, 20:28

Stevo wrote:I've got a short interview of Rory on VHS from the Channel 4 programme Rock Steady, where he talks about the charts, Gary Moores new album (Still Got The Blues), and Fresh Evidence. He says his new album is influenced by Slim Harpo, Scrapper Blackwell and Son House. Country-blues and electric country-blues. It's a very short interview, then he plays a bit of slide on the National. I'm guessing these were some of the artists is his record collection.

:mrgreen:

RobertaSparrow

PreviousNext

Return to Rory Gallagher's Official Forum ~ Welcome