Rory's Music Collection

Rory Fans ~ New members checkout updated forum rules.. here before posting please
Forum rules
styles/rules.png

LOOSE TALK ~ Moderator Team..
Cynthia Armento (RobertaSparrow) (USA) John Ganjamie (roryfan) (USA) JJ Joyce (Jay Jay) (UK) Jim Petrover (JimLED) (Ukraine).
© RORY GALLAGHER LOOSE TALK 2013

Re: FOLKLORE, COUNTRY AND TRADITIONAL MUSIC

Postby SUBY1974 » 10 Feb 2015, 14:31

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q1L11Y0 ... ata_player Hi Anna. Rory love this album by the folk group LOVE. It is nice and very Spanidh /Latino. Subrata.x
SUBY1974

Rory's Music Collection

Postby RobertaSparrow » 10 Feb 2015, 20:26

I am the least tech savvy moderator here, so there is likely a better way to do this, but- I saw Suby's post to Anna and I thought back to when Ian Rankin did The Lie Factory which was inspired by Rory's music. We had that poster that displayed some of Rory's reading material, his favorite books, and actually had a partial list of his favs.

(Sorry, Suby, for moving your post here, and thanks Suby for posting it)

I saw Suby's post and thought, oh, to see a similar list of Rory's record collection, that would be a wonderful list to peruse. I have read that Rory had an extensive record collection, some very esoteric and eclectic assortment of musical styles and genres, as well as the ones that we could predict would be there based on the choices he played on stage, and the influences in what he would write.

So, I was thinking two thoughts along those lines.

I wonder what Rory's own personal record library looked like? Because, just as Rory's music and style influenced so many others, I for one would love to see the array of music that influenced and inspired Rory.
RobertaSparrow

Re: FOLKLORE, COUNTRY AND TRADITIONAL MUSIC

Postby RobertaSparrow » 10 Feb 2015, 20:47

SUBY1974 wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q1L11Y0I5E0&feature=youtube_gdata_player Hi Anna. Rory love this album by the folk group LOVE. It is nice and very Spanidh /Latino. Subrata.x

I never knew Rory liked that album. That first track, was hugely popular way back when. Can anyone else can add to the list?
RobertaSparrow

Re: Rory's Music Collection

Postby Irishcelticgirl » 11 Feb 2015, 01:11

Rory also liked a French flamenco guitarist from the Camargue called Manitas de Plata. I was given an album by him in the 70's - a master of his craft.
Irishcelticgirl

Postby SUBY1974 » 13 Feb 2015, 09:16

He liked Blond on Blond album by Bob Dylan. He even did a version of Bob's song Just Like A Woman. Subrata. X I am sure Rory had a collection of Bob Dylan albums as Bob did of his. On RG's bookshelf he had a lot of Dylan biographies. I saw Bob Dylan at the Royal Albert Hall in Dec 2013. It was a good night. Subrata.x
SUBY1974

Postby RobertaSparrow » 13 Feb 2015, 18:32

I was listening to some Townes Van Zandt, and he was a contemporary of Rory's, another musician who died too young, fairly under the radar, but his songs have been recorded by many others more well known. If I could glimpse into Rory's record collection, I bet I would find this one-

I wonder if they ever crossed paths?
RobertaSparrow

Postby SUBY1974 » 13 Feb 2015, 23:50

RG would definitely had all of Muddy Waters record collections. He adored Muddy Waters. I have this Muddy Waters Box Set http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B004DL5 ... ddy+waters. I also have the London Sessions which features Rory and other on it from 1972. In 1974 Muddy did London Revisited but I found its out of stock. Rory played on it as well. My cousin Anjan did a radioshow on the Blues a few years ago. I posted it on this forum. They talked about Muddy Waters. Subrata.x
SUBY1974

Postby Tibbierocks » 14 Feb 2015, 18:00

ah love forever changes. Brilliant album. Many years ago now, Arthur Lee came to my home time to perform the whole of this album. I was in my mid 20s, I guess, and I couldn't find anyone who would go with me. So I didn't go. Then Lee got cancer, passed on and I've always regretted not going. Not long after this gig, I decided sod it, if I can't find anyone to go with, I'll go alone, which is what I do.
Tibbierocks

Postby Annie Elliott » 15 Feb 2015, 16:28

Seems he would have had a collection of other American Blues musicians.
Last edited by Annie Elliott on 15 Jun 2015, 12:46, edited 1 time in total.
Annie Elliott

Postby capo » 16 Feb 2015, 19:01

I'm sure we would find some Jazz among Rory's collection, in particularly albums by the great saxophonist Ornette Coleman, who was a huge influence on Rory when he self taught himself the sax during the Taste days.
capo

Next

Return to Rory Gallagher's Official Forum ~ Welcome