RORY AS GREEK GOD

Rory Fans ~ New members checkout updated forum rules.. here before posting please
Forum rules
styles/rules.png

LOOSE TALK ~ Moderator Team..
Cynthia Armento (RobertaSparrow) (USA) John Ganjamie (roryfan) (USA) JJ Joyce (Jay Jay) (UK) Jim Petrover (JimLED) (Ukraine).
© RORY GALLAGHER LOOSE TALK 2013

RORY AS GREEK GOD

Postby capo » 01 Feb 2015, 06:28

Well, its late at night, I can't sleep, so time for another one of my 'peculiar' Rory subject threads that I have mulled over from time to time but have yet to post least I be misunderstood. To wit, how much did or does Rory's good looks influence our great interest in him and to what degree? Back in 2004 Guitar Player put out a issue called "Heroes Of The Electric Blues", featuring a nice write up on Rory. The article starts out saying Rory was " beautiful, talented, and doomed". Part of his appeal, it goes on says " it didn't hurt that he looked like a rock star, with his long, flowing locks, and Greek god visage". On the caption next to the photo of Rory, which shows several young ladies gazing at him, it says "The girls get it-Female fans cheer on a sexy guitar god". A lot of references to Rory's looks from a very male dominated magazine and staff don't you think? It is of course human nature to like aesthetic pleasing objects to the eye. It has been proven in recently studies that 'attractive' people earn more money and are promoted faster in their fields and jobs then their less attractive counterparts. My point is, thus, if Rory looked like Leslie West, or had a face like Robin Trower would we be as passionate or moved by his music? Now, it is of course different between us guys and the ladies on this Forum. We, speaking for the menfolk, like cool looking dudes, and Rory defines "cool" for me in so many ways. The ladies, I hope will weigh in, but from past comments, there is some , say we say, "romantic" feelings aimed at dear Rory. Am I not correct? Its not being superficial, I think, to admit, it adds to Rory's appeal and charm that he was easy on the eyes, so to speak. Imagine Ron Woods visage during the solo to "A Million Miles Away" or (and I love him) Wilko Johnson's stare during the solo to "I Wonder Who"? Anyway just some foolish thoughts I had. Goodnight and Goodluck!
capo

Re: RORY AS GREEK GOD

Postby RobertaSparrow » 01 Feb 2015, 10:19

Interesting perspective. First time I saw Rory I was quite impressed, because by his sound, his gruff blusey singing voice I expected a gruff, weathered, older man, not the angelic face and joyful demeanor that I saw on the stage. Sure, his good looks definitely got my attention, but there are a lot of men who, at first glance, can look absolutely gorgeous, but as soon as you get past the window dressing and see what sort of man is behind those looks, that attraction can swiftly dissolve.

There are plenty of good looking men who are blatant liars, cheaters, abusers. Especially in the rock world. The endearing aspect of Rory, even when his health started to fail him, was that he was essentially a good, decent, kind man. Yes, I have heard, he could be very demanding in his expectations of the musicians around him, but he was equally, or perhaps even more demanding on himself.

He was human, he wasn't perfect, but I never heard stories of him getting drunk and loud in a night club and hitting a waitress or beating his wife (John Lennon) or taking advantage of underage girls (Mick Jagger, Steven Tyler, Ted Nugent, ad nauseum) or getting into a bar fight and nearly blinding another musician (Jack White).

He had qualities worth admiring that went beyond his physical beauty. That he would venture into Northern Ireland at a time when most musicians wouldn't dare because he felt it was the right thing to do, that certainly gives him an endearing quality beyond his physical appearance. That he would stubbornly stand up for what he thought was right in his music choices, even when he could have compromised his own values and catered to the whims of the suits in the record biz who wanted him to do things their way for greater riches and fame, those qualities earned him the respect and admiration of the fans who still remember him with such strong passions.

The kind, gentle spirit that he was when he was younger was still there when his health began to fail, when his appearance was not as striking in his later years, yet he was still every bit as attractive, every bit the intelligent, gentle man he was when he was younger. It was the man within the "rock star, with his long, flowing locks, and Greek god visage" in his younger days that remained essentially the same, that keeps the rest of us in Rory's corner, despite the dark days that overtook him toward the end of his life. That's my opinion anyway.
RobertaSparrow

Postby capo » 01 Feb 2015, 10:55

Well of course Rory's talents as a musician, songwriter and all around artist (and human being) far out weigh anything as shallow as his looks were go to our passion of being his fans. I was just wondering aloud, how much, if any, of his overall appeal was aided by being so damn photogenic and handsome. His looks can not transport me to another world or plane like his music can. This was just a silly intellectual exercise I thought would bring interesting replies. Anyway...............
capo

Postby Jay Jay » 01 Feb 2015, 13:02

RobertaSparrow wrote:He had qualities worth admiring that went beyond his physical beauty. That he would venture into Northern Ireland at a time when most musicians wouldn't dare because he felt it was the right thing to do, that certainly gives him an endearing quality beyond his physical appearance.

Could not agree more what Cynthia says above :) :)
Rory also has this empathy & loyalty with his followers / fans. As his fans do with him.Quite like a religious leader does. Capo you titled this topic " Rory as Greek God " I thought this topic was going to be connected to that time, when Rory played to those 40,000 starved music fans in Athens Greece in 1982. Similar to those in Northern Ireland..Therefore Rory was sort of a rock music messiah. Travelling around the world healing and feeding his fans with his wonderful talents too.

Btw, Rory still has a great loyal fan base in Greece to this day. Probably more % of population fans better than any other country is debatable?
Jay Jay

Postby capo » 01 Feb 2015, 15:48

Heres a novel concept, maybe one day people can post what they think is a new, interesting take or thread ideal on Rory and not have it derailed by the moderators into a subject they want it to be about :mrgreen: Nuff said.
capo

Postby Jay Jay » 01 Feb 2015, 17:03

capo wrote:Heres a novel concept, maybe one day people can post what they think is a new, interesting take or thread ideal on Rory

Capo, didn't you just do that with your first post?
As far as Cynthia a I derailing your topic. I thought we added with our honest and humble opinions?

Now if I'd have said that I thought Rory was gorgeous and a real adonis... Would that be a better reply :lol: :lol: :lol:

Actually if the true be known.. Rory is possibly the one and only guy I've ever come close to saying similar words about a guy :lol: :lol: :lol:

HotRory.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jay Jay

Postby RobertaSparrow » 01 Feb 2015, 18:58

:mrgreen: Hey everyone! Watch this!

Rory died twenty years ago this year. I know we are all acutely aware of that, all of us here. All the fans who read these posts, well, I suspect they do it to read about Rory, a man who hasn't been able to promote his own image and music, keep his legacy alive after his death. His estate, his family do what they can to keep his music relevant to a fast moving world, an evolved music scene, and the strength of Rory's legacy is in his gift in making a guitar an extension of his artistry, the way he could move his audience and bring the music alive on stage.

You get a flavor of it in his studio recordings, but that is rather like walking into a candy store and being given a little sample of the goodness that is inside a box of treats that you will only fully discover when you open the box and dive in. That was Rory, that was the magic in his music- how he came alive on stage, grabbed our attention and brought us along, and how in turn he'd look to us for inspiration, find it in our joy and exuberance, take it in and use that energy to feed his own, and somehow redouble his musical mastery. A truly synergistic relationship.

To this day I remember that experience. Many of us do.

These releases of material, the re-issue of IT74, Wheels Within Wheels, Notes from San Francisco, they are wonderful treats for his fans. Rory is not able to promote any of them. Word of mouth by his estate, his family, his fans (many of them well known artists in their own right) are the ones tirelessly promoting these things, remembering the man that we don't want to see forgotten. I for one can't bear to think that he will not be remembered in 10, 20, 30 years' time.

A few days ago I went shopping for a baby shower gift for a co-worker. I saw little one-piece outfits for newborns. I was amused to see a Pink Floyd tee shirt in newborn size, and then another with Hendrix. Then the absolute topper for me, my daughter handed me a newborn-sized tee shirt for the band KISS- the very band that I saw opening for Rory when no one had ever heard of KISS at the Long Beach Auditorium, the opening act for Rory's concert that had been booed off the stage while less kind audience members threw stuff at them, because they were awful. That band- their logo now on lunch boxes, posters, and now infant wear!

So we have this site, and there are a few others, FB and other Rory sites, all trying in our humanly flawed ways to remember this wonderful man. It is not easy, because we don't have much new and fresh to talk about. We have Rory's videos, his official music, and much as I ordinarily don't support bootlegs of artists who are still around to do their own self-promotion, let's face it, without the bootleg tapes and videos out there, we would be missing out on a lot of Rory history.

Twenty years ago today Rory was alone, in his apartment in London, very ill, very lonely, and in need of medical attention. He was a quiet, private man in his off stage life, the same man as he always was, but too ill to do the things he loved. Most likely in a state of indecision because he did not know what to do to get well. Twenty years ago today he came face-to-face with what the rest of his short life would be- physical pain, increasing weakness, and endless hospital days until the end.

Please lets all keep in mind, we want to keep him relevant, keep his legacy alive, keep revealing his music, his performances, his artistry to the many who have never heard him, or heard of him, but would love his music if they have a chance to get that first little sample, that first little Taste.

I tend to be a glass-half-empty sort of person. But where Rory is concerned, I see the glass half full, and I am going to stay that way.

'nuff said.
RobertaSparrow

Postby AnnaMaria » 01 Feb 2015, 19:20

Ofcourse Rory was good looking and a lot of people would see him as a sexy guitar god. But to me the Music Always comes first. I don´t Think Rory wanted his fans to go to his shows to just look or faint by his looks. He wanted to get the Music out and get his audience involved musically.

When it comes to his lifestory it rather makes me turn in to some kind of a mother. I see somebody who needs help and you need to take care of instead of drooling for a sexy guy on stage. You want to take away the pills and the booze, ease the stress and phobias or whatever.

I rather see him as a hard working guitar god because I´m not so sure he was that interested in women and I definitely don´t Think he was interested in men. He was interested in men and women as a Group, as an audience getting involved together in his great Music.

I guess most people feel great respect for him just the way he was, a Beautiful person also looks Beautiful.

Still I wonder what he thought about himself. I read an interview where he said "I hate new clothes..." and later inte the same interview "I hate new shirts..."
Well, thats a real rock god isn´t it?
AnnaMaria

Postby SUBY1974 » 01 Feb 2015, 19:50

RobertaSparrow wrote:Interesting perspective. First time I saw Rory I was quite impressed, because by his sound, his gruff blusey singing voice I expected a gruff, weathered, older man, not the angelic face and joyful demeanor that I saw on the stage. Sure, his good looks definitely got my attention, but there are a lot of men who, at first glance, can look absolutely gorgeous, but as soon as you get past the window dressing and see what sort of man is behind those looks, that attraction can swiftly dissolve.

There are plenty of good looking men who are blatant liars, cheaters, abusers. Especially in the rock world. The endearing aspect of Rory, even when his health started to fail him, was that he was essentially a good, decent, kind man. Yes, I have heard, he could be very demanding in his expectations of the musicians around him, but he was equally, or perhaps even more demanding on himself.

He was human, he wasn't perfect, but I never heard stories of him getting drunk and loud in a night club and hitting a waitress or beating his wife (John Lennon) or taking advantage of underage girls (Mick Jagger, Steven Tyler, Ted Nugent, ad nauseum) or getting into a bar fight and nearly blinding another musician (Jack White).

He had qualities worth admiring that went beyond his physical beauty. That he would venture into Northern Ireland at a time when most musicians wouldn't dare because he felt it was the right thing to do, that certainly gives him an endearing quality beyond his physical appearance. That he would stubbornly stand up for what he thought was right in his music choices, even when he could have compromised his own values and catered to the whims of the suits in the record biz who wanted him to do things their way for greater riches and fame, those qualities earned him the respect and admiration of the fans who still remember him with such strong passions.

The kind, gentle spirit that he was when he was younger was still there when his health began to fail, when his appearance was not as striking in his later years, yet he was still every bit as attractive, every bit the intelligent, gentle man he was when he was younger. It was the man within the "rock star, with his long, flowing locks, and Greek god visage" in his younger days that remained essentially the same, that keeps the rest of us in Rory's corner, despite the dark days that overtook him toward the end of his life. That's my opinion anyway.
. :mrgreen:
SUBY1974

Postby Annie Elliott » 06 Feb 2015, 21:30

I think Rory's looks did/do have a lot to do with the way he's perceived. I think he would have been just as famous though, and perhaps even more so if he hadn't been so good looking.
Last edited by Annie Elliott on 15 Jun 2015, 12:34, edited 2 times in total.
Annie Elliott

Next

Return to Rory Gallagher's Official Forum ~ Welcome