FENDER PICK RORY ~ As One Of The Strat Players For The Ages

Rory Fans ~ New members checkout updated forum rules.. here before posting please
Forum rules
styles/rules.png

LOOSE TALK ~ Moderator Team..
Cynthia Armento (RobertaSparrow) (USA) John Ganjamie (roryfan) (USA) JJ Joyce (Jay Jay) (UK) Jim Petrover (JimLED) (Ukraine).
© RORY GALLAGHER LOOSE TALK 2013

Re: Fender Picks Rory As One Of The Strat Players For The Ag

Postby RobertaSparrow » 11 Dec 2014, 18:21

Annie Elliott wrote: Interesting the three best players are Irish or Irish American :D

I know I should know this since we're the same person, but who are the other two? :lol: :lol: :lol:
RobertaSparrow

Postby Annie Elliott » 11 Dec 2014, 22:19

Rory of course, Jimi, and Billy Corgan (William Patrick Corgan) of Smashing Pumpkins. Although there may be more... :?:
Annie Elliott

Postby capo » 12 Dec 2014, 04:29

Your right Annie! Of course I knew about Jimi's African American and Cherokee heritage, but had forgotten his Irish roots. As an aside, its not just that I'm not much of a Smashing Pumpkins fan, not at all actually,but I never would have considered Corgan a 'great' guitarist, let alone one for the ages, with the likes of Rory. Its subjective I guess.
capo

Postby RobertaSparrow » 12 Dec 2014, 06:33

capo wrote:Your right Annie! Of course I knew about Jimi's African American and Cherokee heritage, but had forgotten his Irish roots. As an aside, its not just that I'm not much of a Smashing Pumpkins fan, not at all actually,but I never would have considered Corgan a 'great' guitarist, let alone one for the ages, with the likes of Rory. Its subjective I guess.

That's why I'm glad they didn't list by rank. I think Fender's focus was more on how much the artist did for Fender's image, and in promoting their guitars, and these musicians chose the Strat as their primary instrument. I, too, was surprised to see Billy Corgan among the group, but that is more a generational thing. My daughter loves Smashing Pumpkins, I don't dislike them, their music just never did much for me. What about Robin Trower, though? Sounds like there may be some Irish there as well.

I thought you might have meant Jimi, but the name Hendrix derives mostly from German, or so I thought. But a great deal of one's lineage can be obscured, you almost have to trace your family history (or flash forward to the future and check the DNA) to really see where you came from. 8-) Except for Rory, he was most definitely Irish. :lol:
RobertaSparrow

Postby Vincent » 13 Dec 2014, 15:23

I agree Roberta, Robin Trower was the first that I thought was missing! Bridge of sighs is such a great album. Great to see Rory on the list though.
Vincent

Re: FENDER PICK RORY ~ As One Of The Strat Players For The A

Postby AnnaMaria » 13 Dec 2014, 17:29

Ooops, I was a Smashing Pumpkin fan once, around 1995. Still like their old hits though. But I thought Iha was the guitarist and Corgan like a rythmguitarist. I´m getting old, very old. :roll:
AnnaMaria

Re: FENDER PICK RORY ~ As One Of The Strat Players For The A

Postby Annie Elliott » 13 Dec 2014, 22:14

Really I'm just joking around, Corgan is no way in Rory's league, it's just the Irish joke. Not in Jimi's league...or Stevie Ray! And Malmsteen is unreal although I'm not a big metal fan. Good call on Trower!
Annie Elliott

Previous

Return to Rory Gallagher's Official Forum ~ Welcome