RORY CHRISTMAS with His Mother and family in Cork

Rory Fans ~ New members checkout updated forum rules.. here before posting please
Forum rules
styles/rules.png

LOOSE TALK ~ Moderator Team..
Cynthia Armento (RobertaSparrow) (USA) John Ganjamie (roryfan) (USA) JJ Joyce (Jay Jay) (UK) Jim Petrover (JimLED) (Ukraine).
© RORY GALLAGHER LOOSE TALK 2013

Re: RORY CHRISTMAS with His Mother and family in Cork

Postby SUBY1974 » 11 Dec 2014, 14:15

Jay Jay wrote:
heatison wrote:What a nice thought Jay Jay, sitting round an open fire singing carols with Rory.
what a great Christmas that would be.

capo wrote:Rory and his mom strolling the streets of Cork on a winters night, going to mass together.

SUBY1974 wrote:watching Christmas programmes on digital tele and texting and saying hello to relatives on Skype around world.

It is a nice thought and picture of Rory and Mother in Christmas passed :) I must say to myself, thanks Heatison :)

Suby I don't think those modern day gadgets were part of a traditional Christmas back in Rory's time :D

I know Rory would not be alone with his Mother Monica either going to Christmas Midnight mass. Donal would definitely be accompanying them too. As a few years ago I sang hymns and recited the catholic mass with him. At Barry O'Neill's wedding day mass to the lovely Lorraine :)
Oops. Hi Jay Jay, I still think of Rory in the present tense but I am sure if he was here today he would celebrate Christmas in the 21st century way. :D However I do vaguely remember Christmas in the 70s and Christmas before digital age was better. Today I just get Xmas e-cards mostly but I do send them as well. Subrata.x Being British Asian we celebrate Diwali in the UK. For Indians its like our Christmas. However when growing up my folks were so good. We celebrated both Christmas and Diwalu. They wanted to make sure we appreciated Asian and British culture. A doubling blessing me thinks. I am looking forward to Christmas and time off work. Got my Christmas work party next week. X
SUBY1974

Postby SUBY1974 » 11 Dec 2014, 21:30

Annie Elliott wrote:
capo wrote:I recall reading somewhere, can't remember the specific source, of a Cork girls memories of staking out the the local church when they knew Rory would be home from touring, because he would always accompany his mother to evening mass. They would sit near them and gawk. Its a quaint thought, picturing Rory and his mom strolling the streets of Cork on a winters night, going to mass together. :)

Capo I have a feeling some of the nuns were in on the gawking too!

Just thinking of this now using my imagination ahhh.... :D A handsome young Rory or a 66year old handsome man today sigh.... Actually I do know about Mass. I went to a Catholic School and college for six years. My parents like the community spirit and discipline there. Made me very caring and sharing. Thanks for reminding me. I may see if my old college in Harrow will be doing a midnight mass there. I loved my time there as a student. A lot of my friends from school and college are Irish descent and I love traditional Irish and Celtic sounds and music. I loved Ireland long before I knew of Rory. Subrata.x
SUBY1974

Postby RobertaSparrow » 12 Dec 2014, 06:40

Annie Elliott wrote:By the way folks, what Christmas carol would you like to sing with Rory?

:shock: I would love to hear Rory and everyone else singing carols, but no one should be subjected to hearing me destroy the mood with my singing. ;)
RobertaSparrow

Postby AnnaMaria » 13 Dec 2014, 09:07

Difficult sice mine are Swedish but how about Ave Maria then? Rory sings and I´ll keep my mouth shut and just listen. :D
AnnaMaria

Postby Jay Jay » 13 Dec 2014, 11:25

I said this before on the old Meeting Place Rory forum about 10 years ago now..

I saw an LP advertised on ebay. Which stated it was a Christmas album of a school choir featuring Rory Gallagher. Rory was either singing carols or playing guitar on if I remember correctly?? I've never seen one of the like since. I for one would love to have that album in my collection, if it was authentic?
Jay Jay

Postby Annie Elliott » 13 Dec 2014, 22:35

Oh how I would love to find that Christmas album of Rory's school choir!
Last edited by Annie Elliott on 15 Jun 2015, 13:02, edited 1 time in total.
Annie Elliott

Postby RobertaSparrow » 14 Dec 2014, 02:38

Annie Elliott wrote:Oh how I would love to find that Christmas album of Rory's school choir! Any way to find out from Donal if it was legit?

For me (although I'm no Kirsty MacColl, I just like a sing along) my duet with Rory would be the Pogues 'Fairy Tale of New York.' I love that song.

That would be fun to hear. Children's choirs singing Christmas carols are perfect this time of year anyway, and Rory (perhaps Donal too? Did they not go to the same school?) would be even more special.

I wonder if there were any such recordings. These days, children in their school's and church's Christmas show, every parent has a video camera,or even a smartphone to save it but back when Rory would have been in school, unless the school itself made a recording, it wouldn't be too likely.

Well, Annie, I'm not much for sing-along, I prefer to hang back and listen. But a few years back I was in the church choir for Midnight Mass. I get stressed singing, but I could do it in the church choir, cause I can sort of disappear into the crowd, and the choir loft is the best place to hear the choir, IMHO. At Midnight Mass we did the Hallelujah Chorus, and that is definitely a blast.

It would be fun to be in the choir during midnight mass, and hear Rory sing with the choir. That would be really interesting. That would be something. I would love to hear how Rory would sound singing along to Handel's Messiah. That would be amazing.

RobertaSparrow

Postby Jay Jay » 16 Dec 2014, 23:06

Annie Elliott wrote:By the way folks, what Christmas carol would you like to sing with Rory?

" Hark the Slumming Angels Sing " :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Jay Jay

Postby Annie Elliott » 17 Dec 2014, 22:03

Jay Jay wrote:

" Hark the Slumming Angels Sing " :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

HAHAHAHA! Too funny!

How about "Little Sinner Boy," pa rum pum pum pum :D
Annie Elliott

Postby SUBY1974 » 21 Dec 2014, 17:20

At school I love Handel's Messiah and Oh Little Town of Bethlehem. Subrata.x
SUBY1974

PreviousNext

Return to Rory Gallagher's Official Forum ~ Welcome