RORY'S Voice.

Rory Fans ~ New members checkout updated forum rules.. here before posting please
Forum rules
styles/rules.png

LOOSE TALK ~ Moderator Team..
Cynthia Armento (RobertaSparrow) (USA) John Ganjamie (roryfan) (USA) JJ Joyce (Jay Jay) (UK) Jim Petrover (JimLED) (Ukraine).
© RORY GALLAGHER LOOSE TALK 2013

RORY'S Voice.

Postby Tom Jonas » 06 Dec 2014, 21:46

So perfect for blues and rock. But I suppose an expert on speach and singing would say that he strained his voice. He had a way of singing almost using a low-frequency scream. He punish his vocal cords, which he sometimes indicate pointing at his mouth, indicating a tired voice.
I wonder how a vocal pedagouge could have helped him. If he had survived going on to the heel chair age (Bill Wyman is 78, or so)
Tom Jonas

Re: Rory's Voice.

Postby Jay Jay » 06 Dec 2014, 22:46

Is it just me.. or does anybody else going from recordings we've all heard reckon..

Rory's voice with Taste always sounds stronger and more raunchy??
Jay Jay

Postby RobertaSparrow » 06 Dec 2014, 23:49

I have watched as many of the Rory videos as I can find. There are magic moments in every one of them. But when Rory was younger, his voice was stronger, and I think bluesier, and my first impression, when I first heard Taste, I thought he was older, and I pictured a hardened gruff sort of man. Then I saw him on stage, and couldn't fit the voice and the mental image I had with the young man on stage. That was an eye opener. As the years took their toll, particularly in the 90s, his voice sounded rough, not in a bluesy way. In his later shows he sounds exhausted and often, almost in pain. But that determination, that desire to play music, that never left him.

If you can close your eyes and pretend you've never seen this clip or had ever seen Rory Gallagher before, and envision what you think you hear. I envisioned a big, mean, older man. Rory sounds like the blues that he loves.

I mentioned before, I had to take my mom to the doctor. She was in a nursing home, a dementia patient. Hardly remembers where she is. She was sitting in the front seat of my car, and I had my iPod running through the car stereo, and Rory was on, Taste specifically, and I don't know if it was this one, or Catfish Blues, but my mother, when she was a kid growing up in Los Angeles, she used to listen to the blues, probably the same stuff Rory heard years later on Armed Forces Radio. My mother, who had been sitting, speechless in the car, began to smile. She said, "I remember this music, we used to listen to this. That man is really good!" I told her it wasn't likely she had heard that man when she was a kid, that man hadn't been born yet! But he had that sound. Rory's blues, they reached my mom, wherever she was, and brought her back for a moment. The power of music.
RobertaSparrow

Postby capo » 07 Dec 2014, 00:12

Not only his voice, but his guitar playing was much more aggressive and, dare I say, wilder, in Taste. "Sugar Mama" live is a great example of his complete surrender in the moment, the music pouring out of his soul. And that tone, all coming from that little Vox sitting on a folding chair!
capo

Postby Annie Elliott » 08 Dec 2014, 13:58

I've been reading about the effects of alcohol on the voice after I started having a chronic sore throat and my singing voice changed a little. Apparently even my daily one glass of wine may be the culprit. Darn!

Looks like alcohol has a horrible effect on the vocal chords, and taking a drink before a show and straining your voice is the worst thing you can do. Rory's voice definitely changes as the years go on. I like the sound of it, although not the cause.

I wonder if Donal has a nice singing voice...
Last edited by Annie Elliott on 08 Dec 2014, 14:04, edited 1 time in total.
Annie Elliott

Postby Annie Elliott » 08 Dec 2014, 14:02

RobertaSparrow wrote:I mentioned before, I had to take my mom to the doctor. She was in a nursing home, a dementia patient. Hardly remembers where she is. She was sitting in the front seat of my car, and I had my iPod running through the car stereo, and Rory was on, Taste specifically, and I don't know if it was this one, or Catfish Blues, but my mother, when she was a kid growing up in Los Angeles, she used to listen to the blues, probably the same stuff Rory heard years later on Armed Forces Radio. My mother, who had been sitting, speechless in the car, began to smile. She said, "I remember this music, we used to listen to this. That man is really good!" I told her it wasn't likely she had heard that man when she was a kid, that man hadn't been born yet! But he had that sound. Rory's blues, they reached my mom, wherever she was, and brought her back for a moment. The power of music.

Cynthia have you seen the documentary, Alive Inside? Really amazing, the healing power of music and memory. It's so cool that your mom loved Rory!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IaB5Egej0TQ
Annie Elliott

Postby RobertaSparrow » 08 Dec 2014, 15:19

Annie Elliott wrote: I wonder if Donal has a nice singing voice...

Seems like Donal does do a little singing in IT74, during the party scene. Rory seems to try to get everyone to join in on a song. At one point it looks like he even tries to get Tom to sing. Now, I bet Tom is a shy one, I don't think I have ever heard any interview or even accidental or incidental moment where Tom says anything and it's caught on tape. And I bet he could tell us a lot of interesting Rory stories (Tom, if you ever read this, you ought to consider collaborating with Donal on a book- tell us about Rory, about what he wouldn't mind the rest of us knowing of course).
RobertaSparrow

Postby AnnaMaria » 08 Dec 2014, 18:33

I Think Rory has a very special voice in Lonesome Highway. Just love it! Don´t you hear that too?
Love his other voices too!!!
AnnaMaria

Postby RobertaSparrow » 08 Dec 2014, 20:55

AnnaMaria wrote:I Think Rory has a very special voice in Lonesome Highway. Just love it! Don´t you hear that too?
Love his other voices too!!!

:D
I agree, this song is wonderful. Cheerful melody, haunting lyrics. I bet it would have been a hit if he'd released it as a single.

RobertaSparrow

Postby AnnaMaria » 08 Dec 2014, 22:31

O M G, he´s killing me softly with his voice....

And my cockatiel goes crazy with the bellsound in the song...

and I should have been in bed instead of playing Lonesome Highway.

It is a real hit, it really is.
AnnaMaria

Return to Rory Gallagher's Official Forum ~ Welcome