Furthermore - The Hendrix Quote

Rory Fans ~ New members checkout updated forum rules.. here before posting please
Forum rules
styles/rules.png

LOOSE TALK ~ Moderator Team..
Cynthia Armento (RobertaSparrow) (USA) John Ganjamie (roryfan) (USA) JJ Joyce (Jay Jay) (UK) Jim Petrover (JimLED) (Ukraine).
© RORY GALLAGHER LOOSE TALK 2013

Furthermore - The Hendrix Quote

Postby Jay Jay » 09 May 2014, 12:38

folkdeejay wrote:Alice Cooper may or may not be passing on a fact or an assumption - but, ultimately, does it matter. He plays Rory, he likes Rory and he passes on a building legend, urban myths and all.

Lennon was a Taste Fan, Brian May, Slash, Edge, Johnny Marr etc etc etc etc - they all acknowledge Rory was influential and very, very good. Why would Hendrix (On the same label as Taste, iirc) not also think the same. It would be odd if he didn't. His top, 100% #1 favourite .. who knows (probably not, like Rory I suspect he was in awe of one of the original old blues guys... probably a different one each week too)

Ultimately, Rory is not short of famous fans... he was, arguably, a bit short of run-of-the-mill joe public fans, from the mid-70's onwards. But its all relative. Rory made a decent living doing what he loved... Clapton, Cray, Guy, and SRV may have been in the spotlight from about 1985 onwards, when we all know Rory should have ascended to the role of national treasure ... but Rory didn't - for reasons all over this forum.

Could not have put it any better myself David :)

Rock On for Rory
Slainte, Jay Jay
Jay Jay

Re: Furthermore - The Hendrix Quote

Postby Sharon Quigley » 01 Jul 2014, 17:33

Apparently, Alice Cooper quoted the same on his radio show ... and the quote originally appeared in Rolling Stone magazine 1969

Here's the story "Listening to Alice Cooper on his radio show a few days ago(On the station 'Planet Rock' which you can also get on the internet at http://www.planetrock.com/general/listening-online/), he said that Jimmy Hendrix was once asked what it was like being the greatest guitarist in the world, and Hendrix replied "Ask Rory Gallagher".

Which you can read here at:
https://answers.yahoo.com/question/inde ... 407AANtpp1

Can't always believe everything you read on Snopes ... I think I'd rather believe Alice Cooper ... ;)
Sharon Quigley

Postby Tokeiihto » 01 Jul 2014, 20:41

I'm pretty sure that there are collectors out there who own every single issue ever released of the Rolling Stone magazine - therefore, by now someone would have come forward with the written "proof" of that alleged quote.

I remain firm in my belief that this is nothing more than an urban myth (and I already elaborated elsewhere on this board why it's so highly unlikely)

But it doesn't really matter anyway. The fact is, this rumor has endured over forty years - and, mainly thanks to the internet, is still striving. Why? Well, Rory was so good that it's easy to believe that Jimi could have said those famous words at one point. And as the old saying goes: If you have to choose between the truth and the legend ... print the legend!*

*Actually a slightly altered quote from the John Ford western 'The Man Who shot Liberty Valance'.
"From the fool's gold mouthpiece the hollow horn plays wasted words, proves to warn that he not busy being born is busy dying." (B. Dylan)
Tokeiihto

Postby RobertaSparrow » 01 Jul 2014, 20:44

:mrgreen: I want to believe. . . ;)
RobertaSparrow

Postby Tokeiihto » 01 Jul 2014, 20:48

RobertaSparrow wrote: :mrgreen: I want to believe. . . ;)

Wait Mulder, are you saying that ...?
:mrgreen:
"From the fool's gold mouthpiece the hollow horn plays wasted words, proves to warn that he not busy being born is busy dying." (B. Dylan)
Tokeiihto

Previous

Return to Rory Gallagher's Official Forum ~ Welcome