Furthermore - The Hendrix Quote

Rory Fans ~ New members checkout updated forum rules.. here before posting please
Forum rules
styles/rules.png

LOOSE TALK ~ Moderator Team..
Cynthia Armento (RobertaSparrow) (USA) John Ganjamie (roryfan) (USA) JJ Joyce (Jay Jay) (UK) Jim Petrover (JimLED) (Ukraine).
© RORY GALLAGHER LOOSE TALK 2013

Re: The Hendrix Quote

Postby asdesas » 27 Apr 2013, 17:35

Would love to see that vid! It would finally lay to rest the argument.
asdesas

Location: Los Angeles by way of Fullerton CA (where Rory's Strat was born!)

Postby JimLED » 27 Apr 2013, 21:15

ocee69 wrote:I have seen the vid where Jimi makes the comment. Might even have it somewhere to post. When asked what it was like to be the greatest guitar player, Jimi smiled and said i don't know you need to ask Rory Gallagher, brushed his nose with his finger still smiling. It was an interview done in London. It isn't folklore as somebody posted.

It'll be nice to see the vid..

But we stil have this one

Every gun makes its own tune.. Image
After a meal there's nothing like a good cigar.
JimLED

Postby RobertaSparrow » 28 Apr 2013, 01:34

Seems like only yesterday this same topic came up. Member Rory4ever! posted a completely different question, "Was Rory involved in any relationship,?" and eventually that one meandered right off the rails (yeah, my fault :oops: ) but the thread's last turn covered this same topic. It must drive the administrators crazy. Sorry guys. But anyway, there's more back and forth on the "did Hendrix say it" controversy at the end of that thread also.
RobertaSparrow

Postby RobertaSparrow » 28 Apr 2013, 21:14

Well, I think Jimi may have said that, and here is how I envisioned it- (no I wasn't there, but apparently there is a shortage of witnesses anyway so, anyway,

Rory and his band played several encores at the Isle of Wight, by all accounts he was legendary, and from the clips I've seen, he was amazing. My understanding was that Jimi Hendrix and his entourage had not yet arrived at the festival. But later, when it was Jimi's turn, his set was fraught with technical problems, and he was not happy with his own performance. Human nature, and the nature of working musicians as I have known them, is when someone had performed as well as Taste did, well, word was still spreading fresh about that kid Rory Gallagher, and wasn't he great, and on and on.

Jimi never seemed comfortable when people asked him or told him, "[How does it feel to be] [They say you're] The Greatest Guitarist In The World!" Now if Jimi was unhappy with his performance, and/or frustrated with his equipment or the mechanical breakdowns on the stage, and was getting an earful from everyone and his brother about how great Rory Gallagher was a couple of days before, I can see him saying, with a mix of exasperation, humility, frustration, and fatigue-

"I don't know. Why don't you ask Rory Gallagher."

So, I think he said it, but perhaps not the way most people would interpret its intent.

Now there seem to be two schools of thought amongst us who would want to see Rory recognized for the brilliant artist and musician and for the beautiful gentle man that he was- Those who feel his talent and tangible body of work should be all it ought to take to keep his legacy alive, and then there are those fans (such as I) who feel that anything that brings him to mind, such as naming the Cork Airport for Rory (who was not really a fan of flying in heavier-than-air vehicles) or repeating a quotation that may or may not have been said by the great Jimi Hendrix, or naming streets, places, awards after Rory- if it keeps his memory and his music in the public eye, and brings new and upcoming fans and artists to discover his work, that's fine.

And this I lifted from the last time this topic came up-

If you walk up to anyone and say- "do you think Jimi Hendrix (or sub Eric Clapton, Jeff Beck, or xyz) was the greatest guitarist of all time?" I almost guarantee you'll get some kind of answer related to that musician, even of some young kid who just discovered rock/blues music. You may not hear the answer you can agree with, but they will most certainly know Jimi (or whomever) and render an opinion for what it's worth-

Ask the same question (especially over here) "Do you think Rory Gallagher was the greatest guitarist of all time?" And you're as likely to get a blank stare in return, :x eventually followed by. "Who's that," or "Do you mean that guy in Oasis," or, especially over here, "You mean that comedian that smashes watermelons with a clown hammer :evil: ?"

So if that quote, as misapplied as it might be, is enough to get someone who has never heard of Rory to take a look at his work on Youtube, or to request hearing a cut off the album after reading it on the liner notes in a record store, or to rent the DVD Ghost Blues or IT74, then I for one can live with the misinterpretation.

Rory worked so hard, and in a sense burned through his whole youth, with that driving desire to play music for people. IMHO he was a special person, and I can't stand the thought of his memory fading away after all he did. He was one of the greats- Maybe Jimi said it, maybe he didn't, but Jimi's fame and reputation are worldwide, and I don't think he would begrudge his name being brought into the limelight if it means Rory gets his due.
RobertaSparrow

Postby chrissy d » 18 May 2013, 23:23

This is one of the myths and legends that will always be around with no answers as the two people in question are busy playing in the great gig in the sky ! But hay isnt great that Jimi gets talked about cause of the GMAN :D NICE ONE RORY LETS HAVE ANOTHER ONE !!!
STILL GOT THE BLUES !
chrissy d

Postby asdesas » 22 May 2013, 17:04

chrissy d wrote:But hay isnt great that Jimi gets talked about cause of the GMAN

EXACTLY! Most people think of it the other way around, but you got it right! All about keeping those Top Priorities in order...

Regards,
Richard
asdesas

Location: Los Angeles by way of Fullerton CA (where Rory's Strat was born!)

Postby RobertaSparrow » 02 May 2014, 01:14

Now that the Rename Cork Airport movement is in full swing again, that old Hendrix quote has again risen from the past. Did he say it? Did he not say it? If he said it did he mean it? Can we prove the truth of it once and for all? And does it make a difference one way or the other?

Here is my considered opinion. And who am I? A garden variety fan of both Rory and Jimi's playing. A nobody in particular who wasn't there, but just like everyone else, I have an opinion. For what it's worth.

Here is what we do know, to a fair amount of certainty, anyway:

Rory and Jimi were contemporaries, playing in the same venues at nearly the same time, crossing paths but never colliding. No doubt each acutely aware of the other's prowess with the same favored guitar,and similar tastes in music. Each with their own loyal following, and quite a bit of overlap there as well.

In interviews I have read or heard, Rory was very respectful and impressed with Jimi's playing. And in several interviews he said he never got the chance to meet Jimi, but did see him play. In one interview he actually elaborates, "I never met Jimi, but once I did shake his hand." Now, to my way of thinking, that means he met Jimi, but it was a brief encounter which apparently Rory did not think fair to count as an actual meeting. Fair enough, Rory said the same of John Lennon. He never met him, and always regretted it. But there is a substantiated meeting where Rory was present at the encounter between John Lennon and Jerry Lee Lewis in Los Angeles. He was backstage to calm an upset Jerry Lee, and John Lennon walked in. I'd count it as a meeting, but Rory did not.

Was Jimi aware of Rory? They were arguably the two hottest guitarists on the scene at the time (yeah, I know, there was Clapton, Page, Beck, on and on, but let's keep the focus on the two). Jimi was into the same music, the same model and make of guitar, the same influences. I would say, hell yes he had to be aware of Rory. Taste was lining them up too.

So, what do Jimi and Rory have in common? They were both killer on guitar, constantly testing the limits of blues music, on the edge musically, both insanely driven on stage, and both very humble and modest off stage.

Now to the show in question. The Quote was said to be at the Isle of Wight. Rory and Taste played on Friday though. Hendrix didn't arrive until the following Sunday.

I believe the night before Rory's IOW performance was the night that Taste's equipment had been stolen. Taste was also in turmoil, pre-breakup, unbeknownst to the fans. And Rory put on a dazzling performance that is still talked about today. Taste received how many encores? We're still anxiously awaiting the release of the video (that will be for a later thread ;) ). By all accounts, Rory left them wanting more. He played on Friday, and for the rest of the week word of his performance rattled around the festival.

Jimi didn't arrive until Sunday. He no doubt heard from everyone and his brother about all the acts that went on before him. And Rory was the talk of the festival.

Jimi's set did not go over well. He had equipment problems, the crew couldn't sort it out, and most felt Jimi's performance that day wasn't up to his usual standards. Hey, it happens. It happened at Rory's performances too. It isn't a reflection on Jimi. But, it appeared after the show that Jimi was unhappy with his performance, had an off day, and was not pleased.

Now this is conjecture on my part. I wasn't there, and whomever was there didn't have tape rolling. But I can imagine, Jimi post-performance, not pleased with himself, his performance, his opportunity to wow the audience. Enter some reporter itching to get an interview with the greatest guitarist in the world. And by most accounts, that was not Jimi's favorite question either.

So Jimi is post-show, annoyed at himself in general, and who knows, maybe heard once again about that young kid from Ireland, Rory, and how he owned the show Friday:

Reporter: "So Jimi, How Does It Feel To Be The Best Guitarist In The World?"

Exhasperated Jimi: "I don't know. Why don't you go ask Rory Gallagher!"

Not so much a ringing endorsement of Rory, although I'm sure Jimi respected him, as Rory respected Jimi. More of a, go away and don't bother me right now.

Here is what I do not think happened:

Rory on stage playing Gambling Blues, Jimi at the foot of the stage, wide-eyed and staring at Rory, mesmerized by his playing, and a reporter walked up to Jimi and asked that question. And Jimi gives that ringing endorsement of Rory. No, I don't think so.

No one was there to video any exchange with Jimi and a reporter, but here is a clip of a humble Jimi after being asked that very question which he appears to HATE to be asked, yet again-

you can see how fond he is of that question, "how about I'm the best guitar player in this chair?"

And Rory on Jimi- @03:20

And another thing I'm fairly sure of, they are probably both looking down on us, and laughing over the controversy. 8-)

And Furthermore . . .

Maybe Jimi never said it, or maybe he said it in a different context. But one thing for certain- at that point in time, Rory and Jimi could stand toe to toe, and I believe they shared a mutual respect for one another. Now, 45 years later, you go up to anyone and ask them, who do they think was the greatest guitarist of that era, (someone not over 50 and from Ireland or Germany 8-) ) and you may hear them say Hendrix or maybe Clapton because they are still remembered. Or you ask them if they ever heard of Jimi Hendrix, or Eric Clapton, or Jimmy Page. Odds are they will at least know who you are speaking of.

Ask the same person what they think of Rory Gallagher, and you're likely to get a blank stare, a reference to Oasis, or that awful comedian that shares Rory's last name.

So, if, in my opinion, quoting Jimi as having said that either without proof or out of context is probably something that Jimi would be okay with. It is to me as controversial as saying the quote "Play it again, Sam" was in Casablanca, when, in fact, it was not. Not exactly.
RobertaSparrow

Re: And Furthermore- The Hendrix Quote

Postby Rosemarie » 03 May 2014, 08:59

A few weeks ago Alice Cooper played a Rory track on his Planet Rock radio show and commented that 'Rory was Hendrix's favourite guitarist. I sent an email to him because I was inquisitive as to where he too had heard that quote. Do I presume it reached his ears as an urban myth and, therefore, he was unable verify it, hence no reply?
Rosemarie

Postby RobertaSparrow » 03 May 2014, 10:41

I don't know, but I'd be interested to hear if he had any definitive information to shed light on the matter, I think it's fair to say we'd all love to hear it! :)
RobertaSparrow

Postby folkdeejay » 03 May 2014, 11:21

Alice cooper may or may not be passing on a fact or an assumption - but, ultimately, does it matter. He plays Rory, he likes Rory and he passes on a building legend, urban myths and all.

Lennon was a Taste Fan, Brian May, Slash, Edge, Johnny Marr etc etc etc etc - they all acknowledge Rory was influential and very, very good. Why would Hendrix (On the same label as Taste, iirc) not also think the same. It would be odd if he didn't. His top, 100% #1 favourite .. who knows (probably not, like Rory I suspect he was in awe of one of the original old blues guys... probably a different one each week too)

Ultimately, Rory is not short of famous fans... he was, arguably, a bit short of run-of-the-mill joe public fans, from the mid-70's onwards. But its all relative. Rory made a decent living doing what he loved... Clapton, Cray, Guy, and SRV may have been in the spotlight from about 1985 onwards, when we all know Rory should have ascended to the role of national treasure ... but Rory didn't - for reasons all over this forum.
folkdeejay

PreviousNext

Return to Rory Gallagher's Official Forum ~ Welcome