Furthermore - The Hendrix Quote

Rory Fans ~ New members checkout updated forum rules.. here before posting please
Forum rules
styles/rules.png

LOOSE TALK ~ Moderator Team..
Cynthia Armento (RobertaSparrow) (USA) John Ganjamie (roryfan) (USA) JJ Joyce (Jay Jay) (UK) Jim Petrover (JimLED) (Ukraine).
© RORY GALLAGHER LOOSE TALK 2013

Re: Jimi Hendrix Quote ~ Does Anyone Have Proof?

Postby Strat59 » 20 Jul 2012, 16:58

All great DVD's to get of Rory. I just got hold of the - Inheretence of the Celts DVD. Was this the last performance Rory did before he passed ? Although you can see
his body was showing the effects of those prescription drugs , his performance was still very strong . Rory would never let anything get in the way of him giving 100%
despite not being that way himself.

I must say his Tone on this show is superb. Although the show is interspersed with other acts , what there is on show from Rory is Great, as always !

When it comes to Rory Gallagher ....... there is NO SUCH THING as Too Much Rory !

ps, regarding the apparent comment from jimi Hendrix , I have no doubt that is something Jimi would have said about Rory. Both men respected each other and were extremely humble human beings.
Strat59

Jimi Hendrix" Quote "~ Does Anyone Have Proof

Postby Damien » 23 Jul 2012, 02:14

Jimi is asked how it feels to be the best guitarist ever. He replied...

"I don't know, go ask Rory Gallagher.".........Did that happen ?????????...........
Damien

Postby Jay Jay » 23 Jul 2012, 11:08

Damien wrote:Jimi is asked how it feels to be the best guitarist ever. He replied...

"I don't know, go ask Rory Gallagher.".........Did that happen ?????????...........

Hi Damien,
You missed this similar topic so I've merge yours with it. Here is some indication that Jimi's quote about Rory did happen..

"Rock'n Roll Circus" (famous french club in Paris between 1968-1971 )when he went to Paris. Eddie Kennedy (Taste Manager) one night told to Sam that a journalist reported to him, that Jimi said that quote about Rory at the Isle of Wight and was very proud to tell this to everybody.
Jay Jay

Postby JimLED » 23 Jul 2012, 12:14

I'd like to see a video with that quote :))
Every gun makes its own tune.. Image
After a meal there's nothing like a good cigar.
JimLED

Postby Strat59 » 24 Jul 2012, 08:27

I'm sure Jimi would have said something along those lines about Rory as he possibly did about Clapton , Beck , Buddy Guy also. He was a very humble guy and respected Great players when he saw them and was generous in his praise. Whether it was solely about Rory doesn't matter as the fact remains Hendrix Rated Rory enough to make a comment like that about him. Nuff Said !
Strat59

Re: Does Anyone Have Proof?

Postby RobertaSparrow » 27 Jul 2012, 05:43

[quote="Jay Jay"]Here is a hint of more Fresh Evidence about Jimi Hendrix saying that quote .. to of all people Taste management

I read the Sam Bernett's book "Rock 'n roll circus" published in France last year. There are 2 chapters about Rory in it. Rory played two times there one with Taste and one at the beginning of his solo carreer. Sam said inside that he was a great friend with Eddie Kennedy who had at this time his habits at the "Rock'n roll circus" (famous french club in Paris between 1968-1971 )when he went in Paris.Eddie one night told to Sam that a journalist reported to him that Jimi's said that at the Isle of Wight and was very proud to told that to everybody.[/quote]

Unfortunately there is no definitive proof that Hendrix ever said it, but I prefer to believe he did. Like Rory, Hendrix was humble and modest, and that quote was attributed to him in regard to several other guitarists of the day. It has taken on the quality of an urban legend, i.e. the Snopes link, http://snopes.com/music/artists/keaggy.asp.

As far as the reference to Taste manager Kennedy, not so sure anything he might have said would be truthful, as he was the only one making money off of Taste's hard work, so he would have every reason to promote that story to feather his own nest.

Unless and until someone produces a recording or video of Hendrix actually saying it, that story will remain the stuff of legends. But Jimi did see Rory play, so why wouldn't he be impressed? We've all seen video of Rory at the IOW, and he was at his best. So I will just accept that Jimi would know a superb guitarist when he heard one, it takes one to know one. It was something in keeping with Hendrix's nature to defer to other guitarists when asked a similar question. I prefer to believe he said it, because it sounds like something he would say.

And Rory was the best.
RobertaSparrow

Hendriz quote on Rory

Postby rlreis » 19 Aug 2012, 01:35

Is there any truth to the fact that when Jimi Hendrix was asked "How does it feel to be the world's greatest guitarist?', He replied, "Go ask Rory Gallagher." I have seen this supposed quote a few times and would like to know if it has ever been substantiated. Thank you.
rlreis

Re: Hendriz quote on Rory

Postby Yoyodyne » 19 Aug 2012, 02:22

I suggest searching the forum for this topic, it's been covered extensively already.
Yoyodyne

Postby leprechaun1 » 20 Aug 2012, 21:36

i would believe jimi would have said that at the isle of wight concert, taste did several enchores (5 i think) that would be enough for any guitarist to make a sarcastic statement in fun. wether jimi said it or not i think that all of us who use this site feel Rory was the best. we don't need any guitarist telling us so. recognition is good but Rory being the person he was would have laughed it off. jimi was a humble guy and he respected a bunch of guitarists i'll be willing to bet Rory was one of them.
leprechaun1

Re: The Hendrix Quote

Postby ocee69 » 22 Apr 2013, 16:37

I have seen the vid where Jimi makes the comment. Might even have it somewhere to post. When asked what it was like to be the greatest guitar player, Jimi smiled and said i don't know you need to ask Rory Gallagher, brushed his nose with his finger still smiling. It was an interview done in London. It isn't folklore as somebody posted.
ocee69

PreviousNext

Return to Rory Gallagher's Official Forum ~ Welcome