As a matter of curiosity

Rory Fans ~ New members checkout updated forum rules.. here before posting please
Forum rules
styles/rules.png

LOOSE TALK ~ Moderator Team..
Cynthia Armento (RobertaSparrow) (USA) John Ganjamie (roryfan) (USA) JJ Joyce (Jay Jay) (UK) Jim Petrover (JimLED) (Ukraine).
© RORY GALLAGHER LOOSE TALK 2013

As a matter of curiosity

Postby RobertaSparrow » 21 Nov 2014, 12:13

As a matter of curiosity, how many of us are also participants of and members of other Rory places on the net? Most notably, how many of us are members of Facebook pages? If you don't want to mention it on this public page, then let me know in a PM, to me, not Annie :mrgreen:. People needn't be members to read our posts or read about Rory stuff here, SO . . if you want to post something privately, please use the PM route. Curious how big the Rory world really is . . .
RobertaSparrow

Re: As a matter of curiosity

Postby heatison » 21 Nov 2014, 14:30

I am not a member but I do look at the following most days
Rory Gallagher unofficial Facebook
Rory Gallagher Facebook
Rory Gallagher Video page Facebook
Rory on
Rory Gallagher.co.uk
Rory Gallagher Tumblr
Rory Gallagher on Pinterest
heatison

Postby Jay Jay » 21 Nov 2014, 15:21

RORY FANS / FRIENDS..

Although the internet has brought RORY'S profile to the fore as the official FB Rory Gallagher page shows with almost 284,000 likes :)

I have to say with all these other FB "Rory Gallagher" pages sprouting up all too often in the last year or so. Not all but IMHO a few individuals as photofinish would say "get on the bandwagon". Using Rory's name and his legacy as their own tool to promote themselves rather than RORY?

Plus I think sadly rather than it "Used To Be" in the old days. One Gallagher family home " Meeting Place " for RORY FANS, this official Forum.

All these other Facebook pages sometimes rather than get the family together as usually at Christmas time...
We find our Rory relations and friends in separate homes.. Sometimes with anonymous people they do not really know or trust????

IMHO " I would rather now have QUALITY rather than quantity of RORY pages " :)

Rock On for Rory
Slainte, Jay Jay
Jay Jay

Postby capo » 21 Nov 2014, 16:07

The Internet, like all types of technology, can and does at times be misused and abused. However, its also a great democratic tool that gives a voice to all, a great social leveler. The more Rory pages the better I say. We don't need a Rory 'Vatican', with a Pope and Priests giving their 'official' views from on high, all others be damned. Thus let it ordered, let it be written. :mrgreen:
capo

Postby RobertaSparrow » 21 Nov 2014, 16:30

From my own perspective, I am a member of some of the FB pages, and I look in on as many as I am aware of, and sometimes I see something on one or another that is noteworthy or of interest and I bring it on home, and other times a little known or seen gem will appear here, and I post it where I can, and where I can't I try to find someone who can and will. Rory is gone from this world, and if we want him remembered, well the more the merrier.

As Jay Jay alluded to, we have our immediate families, and our extended ones. I always see and feel that this is Rory's home on the 'net, not in small measure due to it being under the Gallaghers' direction and sponsorship, and that is more than fine with me. And sometimes the others can be not so nice to me or others, and I can always run home and be safe here, to venture out again on a better day.

I agree with Capo, the more the merrier, and I feel quite content sharing what I can with others, and taking away and sharing what I can. I try to give credit where credit is due.

But as a moderator here, I have to temper my responses, pull my punches, in a sense, because this is for Rory, and he wouldn't want it any other way. So, I promise to try to keep anyone from being misused or abused, but I reserve the right to have fun. :mrgreen:

And for those who cannot log in, or do not want to log in, feel free to read, or copy, or quote. And let's be friends. Or amiable enemies I guess if we must. But Rory never liked squabbles, and neither do I.

8-)
RobertaSparrow

Postby RobertaSparrow » 21 Nov 2014, 19:58

heatison wrote:I am not a member but I do look at the following most days
Rory Gallagher unofficial Facebook
Rory Gallagher Facebook
Rory Gallagher Video page Facebook
Rory on
Rory Gallagher.co.uk
Rory Gallagher Tumblr
Rory Gallagher on Pinterest

Tumblr, never occurred to me-

https://www.tumblr.com/search/rory+gallagher

some nice pics there
RobertaSparrow

Postby heatison » 21 Nov 2014, 21:53

That's why I check these other sites, to see if any new pictures are about.
heatison

Postby Annie Elliott » 21 Nov 2014, 23:20

I've 'liked' some Rory Facebook pages but I never comment or anything.
Last edited by Annie Elliott on 15 Jun 2015, 12:24, edited 1 time in total.
Annie Elliott

Postby photofinish » 22 Nov 2014, 05:36

In one sight I got insulted massively...in fact I was gobsmacked...and all because I said I had met Rory many times..am very wary about wot I say these days folks..
photofinish

Postby RobertaSparrow » 22 Nov 2014, 13:28

photofinish wrote:In one sight I got insulted massively...in fact I was gobsmacked...and all because I said I had met Rory many times..am very wary about wot I say these days folks..

Yep, me too, on one of the FB pages. Someone got their back up because they were IMO getting a little too hostile, and a little too territorial Mostly the things on the FB pages are a re-circulation of the same photos and YouTube music clips, but every so often something new turns up. The reality is, those "Aha" moments when something new comes up are going to be fewer and far between, and I suppose it's human nature to argue and, I don't know, try to stake out territory I guess. But as newer people come into the sites looking for information on Rory and his music, there will always be those same questions and clips coming up over and over again. There is so much overlap among the Rory community, such a mix of people who knew him, and his old loyal fan base, and then those newbies just now hearing about him. But there's plenty of room out there, and lots of overlap. As I said, I am mainly curious.
RobertaSparrow

Next

Return to Rory Gallagher's Official Forum ~ Welcome