Joe, what did you expect!?

Rory Fans ~ New members checkout updated forum rules.. here before posting please
Forum rules
styles/rules.png

LOOSE TALK ~ Moderator Team..
Cynthia Armento (RobertaSparrow) (USA) John Ganjamie (roryfan) (USA) JJ Joyce (Jay Jay) (UK) Jim Petrover (JimLED) (Ukraine).
© RORY GALLAGHER LOOSE TALK 2013

Joe, what did you expect!?

Postby AnnaMaria » 20 Oct 2014, 10:42

On page 139 of Joe Perry's book, ‘ROCKS: MY LIFE IN AND OUT OF AEROSMITH’, Joe talks about how Aerosmith was only ever blown off the stage once, upstaged by, you guessed it, Rory Gallagher. @Joe Perry,@IamStevenT,

""We played the outdoor Schaefer Music Festival in Central Park (New York City) - fifty thousand people strong - where Rory Gallagher opened for us. He was a hard-drinking Irishman with his own brand of blues rock that captivated the crowd. In between songs, he'd belt down another Irish lightning that seemed to add to his energy. He kept playing and playing, way beyond his cutoff time. Afraid of inciting a riot, the promoters let him go on - at our expense. When he finally left the stage, the crowd, wanting more Rory, started throwing cans and bottles. We set up among the flying debris. The debris kept flying during our set. Brad got hit and a broken bottle cut Joey's arm, but in defiance, we held our ground and played, only to be cut off by the curfew. I remember it as the only time that we were blown off fair and square in true rock-and-roll style. That night Rory Gallagher was just too good to stop". -- Joe Perry
AnnaMaria

Re: Joe, what did you expect!?

Postby RobertaSparrow » 20 Oct 2014, 11:41

AnnaMaria wrote:On page 139 of Joe Perry's book, ‘ROCKS: MY LIFE IN AND OUT OF AEROSMITH’, Joe talks about how Aerosmith was only ever blown off the stage once, upstaged by, you guessed it, Rory Gallagher. @Joe Perry,@IamStevenT,

""We played the outdoor Schaefer Music Festival in Central Park (New York City) - fifty thousand people strong - where Rory Gallagher opened for us. He was a hard-drinking Irishman with his own brand of blues rock that captivated the crowd. In between songs, he'd belt down another Irish lightning that seemed to add to his energy. He kept playing and playing, way beyond his cutoff time. Afraid of inciting a riot, the promoters let him go on - at our expense. When he finally left the stage, the crowd, wanting more Rory, started throwing cans and bottles. We set up among the flying debris. The debris kept flying during our set. Brad got hit and a broken bottle cut Joey's arm, but in defiance, we held our ground and played, only to be cut off by the curfew. I remember it as the only time that we were blown off fair and square in true rock-and-roll style. That night Rory Gallagher was just too good to stop". -- Joe Perry

Well, at least he was man enough (Man enough? :geek: :ugeek: :shock: In this gender neutral world, is it fair to say?) * * * recalculating * * * :mrgreen: at least he was person enough to say it. And I do rather like his last sentence there " . . . I remember it as the only time that we were blown off fair and square in true rock-and-roll style. . . ." All's fair in love, war, and rock & roll. 8-)

-Annie . . . . no, no, no, wait, Roberta. Aw, heck, this time of year, just call me The Dark One :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
RobertaSparrow

Postby AnnaMaria » 20 Oct 2014, 16:06

Well Roberta, here in Sweden it is HAN(he) and HON(she). But since a little while we have got someting new it´s HEN (he OR she when you don´t know the gender or don´t want to tell the gender) Joe is a girls name too isn´t it? So we can call him a hen then. :?
AnnaMaria

Postby capo » 20 Oct 2014, 16:16

Am I the only one who has a problem with this "reminisce"? Sure, Joe gives Rory his due, but its couched with the stereotype of the 'hard drinking Irishman', who needed a belt between every song to keep him fortitied and keep him going. Bull. Did Rory like his drink, hell yeah, but this portrays him as dependent on drink as his onstage inspiration instead of the truth, his musicianship and professionalism. Also, Joe implys if Rory hadn't cut into their time, maybe they could have pulled off a decent set and won the crowd back. Rory's set was his typical opening, time wise, about 70 minutes based on the boot on Youtube. So Joe pays him a left handed compliment at best. Or am I being too sensitive? Anyway, he could have not put it in his book in the first place I suppose. Anyway. Hi Cynthia!
capo

Postby RobertaSparrow » 20 Oct 2014, 16:35

capo wrote:Am I the only one who has a problem with this "reminisce"? Sure, Joe gives Rory his due, but its couched with the stereotype of the 'hard drinking Irishman', who needed a belt between every song to keep him fortitied and keep him going. Bull. Did Rory like his drink, hell yeah, but this portrays him as dependent on drink as his onstage inspiration instead of the truth, his musicianship and professionalism. Also, Joe implys if Rory hadn't cut into their time, maybe they could have pulled off a decent set and won the crowd back. Rory's set was his typical opening, time wise, about 70 minutes based on the boot on Youtube. So Joe pays him a left handed compliment at best. Or am I being too sensitive? Anyway, he could have not put it in his book in the first place I suppose. Anyway. Hi Cynthia!

Hey there! Hi there Capo!

No, I noticed it too, and I didn't much care for the"hard drinking Irishman" crack either, but I look at it this way, Aerosmith sucks, and they got boo'd off the stage. And no amount of time on stage would ever place them anywhere near Rory in the musicianship, professionalism, or talent department. 8-)
RobertaSparrow

Postby AnnaMaria » 20 Oct 2014, 16:59

Well, I haven´t read the book I just copied this Little thing. Wasn´t Joe on booze, smack etc? Then usually it´s nice to pick on somebody else. I don´t know when the Concert was, maybe Rory was drinking Coke at the time but Joe certanly know why Rory died so once a drinker always a drinker. If Rory was playing this gig so very good I doubt he was drunk but as I use to say I wasn´t there. And how about Joe being too drunk to notice that Rory was sober, guess we´ll never know.
AnnaMaria

Postby JimLED » 20 Oct 2014, 18:33

In between songs, he'd belt down another Irish lightning that seemed to add to his energy.

What does it means "belt down another Irish lightning"?
Every gun makes its own tune.. Image
After a meal there's nothing like a good cigar.
JimLED

Postby RobertaSparrow » 20 Oct 2014, 19:43

JimLED wrote:
In between songs, he'd belt down another Irish lightning that seemed to add to his energy.

What does it means "belt down another Irish lightning"?

I believe he is implying that Rory was tossing back shots of whiskey between songs, which is IMHO a crock of BS, because that gig was in 1974, and if he was drinking that much between songs I'd bet it was beer, or maybe even soft drinks. And the way sweat would pour off him, he had to be drinking something other than hard liquor to keep hydrated, or he'd have dropped from heatstroke.

:mrgreen: IMHO
RobertaSparrow

Postby JimLED » 20 Oct 2014, 20:04

The bottle throwing incident, during ~A~'s set happens during the last track. At the 3:05m mark a bottle gets thrown & cuts Joey Kramer's arm. He stops drumming, explains he's bleeding all over his drums, then proceeds to kick more ass on the drums. He said, "Who's the asshole who threw that bottle .... this is for you Bucko".

There's a bit mistake in Joe book. They stopped playing for a half of minute after that bottle. I have a track and heard this by my ears :)
Every gun makes its own tune.. Image
After a meal there's nothing like a good cigar.
JimLED

Postby AnnaMaria » 20 Oct 2014, 21:19

Hm, maybe Joe himself got hit in the head...by a coin or something. Blank minutes...
AnnaMaria

Next

Return to Rory Gallagher's Official Forum ~ Welcome