Is there a song that is your least favourite?

Rory Fans ~ New members checkout updated forum rules.. here before posting please
Forum rules
styles/rules.png

LOOSE TALK ~ Moderator Team..
Cynthia Armento (RobertaSparrow) (USA) John Ganjamie (roryfan) (USA) JJ Joyce (Jay Jay) (UK) Jim Petrover (JimLED) (Ukraine).
© RORY GALLAGHER LOOSE TALK 2013

Re: Is there a song that is your least favourite?

Postby JimLED » 12 Oct 2014, 22:01

Jay Jay wrote:and Jim, thanks for using the Rory picture I arranged & edited slightly on FB :)

Oh, that yours art work Jay Jay? Didn't know. Just found this one at big internet sea. :D
Every gun makes its own tune.. Image
After a meal there's nothing like a good cigar.
JimLED

Postby Jay Jay » 12 Oct 2014, 22:13

JimLED wrote:Oh, that yours art work Jay Jay? Didn't know. Just found this one at big internet sea.

Yes Jim, I just blocked out the pretty girl sitting the other side of Rory in the caravan / trailer :lol:

Rory & Radio.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jay Jay

Postby RobertaSparrow » 13 Oct 2014, 00:20

For me I think, Secret Agent.
First- I love the music. It's the lyrics that I am not so partial to, but that may be a cultural thing.

"Secret Agent" to me implies a government operative, a spy for a national or political cause. Someone paid to follow another around, as Rory uses it, would be a private investigator, or private eye, as in the main character in Roger Rabbit or Sam Spade from the old Dashiell Hammett stories.

A secret agent- Kelly and Alexander

A secret agent- Bond, James Bond

A private detective- Eddie Valiant

A private detective- Sam Spade

This is a Halloween radio episode of Sam Spade, and I would bet that Rory heard this one at some time or other. Was first broadcast on October 31, 1948, Rory would have been still an infant of almost 8 months :lol:
RobertaSparrow

Postby AnnaMaria » 13 Oct 2014, 05:52

Ofcourse there aint´no bad song made by Rory. But there might be a song that we listen to not so often for various reasons and atleast I Think it´s interesting to hear what others are saying and what reason they have.

Remember that old interview where Rory was asked about his favourite girl? Don´t exactly remember his Words but it was something like "She must have her own Point of view". I Think that goes for the boys too. :D

Lovely Picture of Rory and the radio!
AnnaMaria

Postby folkdeejay » 13 Oct 2014, 09:52

There are three ROry songs that I skip most times I hear them.

Big Guns. Don't like it much, if it was anyone else, I wouldn't like it at all. The remastered version on the Big Guns compilation is even worse.

Living Like a Trucker & They don't make them like you anymore from Tattoo. I got the LP with my paper round money, and never cared for either of these songs- to the point that Tattoo is probably my least payed Rory album, even though I have owned it for many years more than some others. Despite the other truly great songs on it, these two stick out to me, I always thought they sounded unfinished somehow.

The bonus tracks that cam out years later would have been far better on the original release, imo.
folkdeejay

Postby heatison » 13 Oct 2014, 10:53

they don't make them like you anymore is one of my favourite tracks.
heatison

Postby Tibbierocks » 13 Oct 2014, 15:50

Jay Jay wrote:
JimLED wrote:Oh, that yours art work Jay Jay? Didn't know. Just found this one at big internet sea.

Yes Jim, I just blocked out the pretty girl sitting the other side of Rory in the caravan / trailer :lol:

Rory & Radio.jpg

Jay Jay, you made that pic? I might have reblogged that on tumblr - didn't know who made it. :D
Tibbierocks

Postby Annie Elliott » 13 Oct 2014, 17:06

There are Rory songs I like more and less at times but oddly that will change depending on...who knows.

My problem is that a few of his lyrics distract me, not that they're bad they just send me off on a train of thought like "People talk about her like she was a diamond on a shelf," and I start thinking wait, why would a diamond be on a shelf? Unless it was a jeweler's shelf but he doesn't say that, blah blah and before I know it the song is over. Or "My blood burned just like toast," and I'm thinking well, sure if you left in in the toaster too long but if it's just right and all buttery that would be quite lovely. You see how this can drive you a bit mad.

I've (shudder) read reviews from the ignorant who say Rory wasn't that great of a lyricist. I disagree whole heartedly but I do think he can be a little uneven at times. Most of his work is amazing, but some like those above distract me and so take away a tiny bit from the millions of good bits.

I can live with that.
Annie Elliott

Postby AnnaMaria » 13 Oct 2014, 19:45

Annie, he put his fingers in the toaster and then he played with fire. So says everyone who has seen him on stage.
AnnaMaria

Postby Annie Elliott » 13 Oct 2014, 23:49

AnnaMaria wrote:Annie, he put his fingers in the toaster and then he played with fire. So says everyone who has seen him on stage.

Ah, that explains it! :lol:
Annie Elliott

PreviousNext

Return to Rory Gallagher's Official Forum ~ Welcome