"Excuse me please. My ear is full of milk."

Rory Fans ~ New members checkout updated forum rules.. here before posting please
Forum rules
styles/rules.png

LOOSE TALK ~ Moderator Team..
Cynthia Armento (RobertaSparrow) (USA) John Ganjamie (roryfan) (USA) JJ Joyce (Jay Jay) (UK) Jim Petrover (JimLED) (Ukraine).
© RORY GALLAGHER LOOSE TALK 2013

"Excuse me please. My ear is full of milk."

Postby RobertaSparrow » 29 Sep 2014, 11:05

We had a thread up here a while back, asking members who had the privilege of meeting Rory to share their stories, and out of that came Photofinish's story of giving Rory a tape that contained two Laurel and Hardy short subjects, which Rory absolutely loved, found to be hilarious. I asked him which two they were, and he said Oliver the Eighth and Going Bye Bye.

My dad and all my uncles where Laurel and Hardy fanatics, so when I was little, really too little to fully grasp some of the more adult humor of the comedy duo, I saw all of Laurel and Hardy's stuff, over and over again. I remembered Oliver the Eighth right away, but Going Bye Bye I had mixed up in my mind with another of their clips. Anyway, I thought since we had a thread on here about Rory's reading favs, and how they may have influenced him, why not one centered around those diversions that maybe brightened up his day, gave his very hectic workday a break, and his mind a little vacation into some really funny situations-

Hey Mark, think of this- You gave Rory back a small dose of the happiness he gave you and the rest of us- wish I could say that. 8-)

So, want to see the clips that Rory found to be so funny?

Oliver the Eighth (also good for going into the Halloween season)

And Going Bye Bye (The first words out of Stan's mouth set the tone for the insanity that ensues)

P.S. I also have fun watching these old clips, they star in the backdrop images of my home town, Los Angeles, from my parents' days.
RobertaSparrow

Re: "Excuse me please. My ear is full of milk."

Postby photofinish » 29 Sep 2014, 22:32

Ha ha..love it..am a massive fan..always have..Aren't u guuna hang him..!!...one scary guy..Walter Long...Rory loved that tape..he never got rid of that..he was still reminding me of it 6 years later in 1888...
photofinish

Postby Tibbierocks » 30 Sep 2014, 08:22

I can just about remember Laurel and Hardy being shown on the telly. When I get some time at the weekend I'll watch these clips.
Tibbierocks

Postby RobertaSparrow » 30 Sep 2014, 11:59

photofinish wrote:Ha ha..love it..am a massive fan..always have..Aren't u guuna hang him..!!...one scary guy..Walter Long...Rory loved that tape..he never got rid of that..he was still reminding me of it 6 years later in 1888...

I liked that Ollie was such a master of understatement- The guy was sitting there in a straight jacket, obviously crazy- and later, Ollie reprimands Stanley, "Couldn't you see he was annoyed?"
RobertaSparrow

Postby photofinish » 02 Oct 2014, 06:57

Have got a fantastic 200 page Laurel and Hardy book...must get it out again...got it for my 18th birthday...great present...so that actually ties in with when I gave Rory the tape...Newcastle City Hall was on 23/5/1982..3 days after my birthday
photofinish

Postby RobertaSparrow » 06 Oct 2014, 07:11

:lol: I don't know why, but I find it just so great that Rory was into Laurel and Hardy. That he found them to be a wonderful antidote to the stresses and strains of life on the road. My dad was a member of Laurel and Hardy''s fan club- The Sons of the Desert- http://sonsofthedesertinfo.com/ sort of a site dedicated to keeping their memory alive, as this is for Rory.

This is another great one, watch it and laugh along with Rory- BTW, part of the humor in this is in reference to the time that this was supposed to have occurred- was during prohibition in this country. Alcohol was illegal, a federal offense, until after the repeal of the 18th amendment in 1933, and continued to be illegal in some of the states until 1966.

and it was so popular they made a sequel, Tit for Tat (nothing untoward- it's Laurel and Hardy)

RobertaSparrow

Postby photofinish » 06 Oct 2014, 13:38

i was a member of Sons of the desert..!!!!
photofinish

Postby RobertaSparrow » 06 Oct 2014, 14:16

photofinish wrote:i was a member of Sons of the desert..!!!!

The Laughing Gravy Tent by any chance?
RobertaSparrow

Postby maybeiwill » 11 Oct 2014, 22:00

Y'all (sorry; I live in the deep south, but I'm still a New Yorker at heart - feels funny to even write "y'all;) anyway....you all (better....) need to visit the Laurel and Hardy Museum in Harlem, Ga., which is where Ollie was born. Every year they have a Laurel and Hardy Festival with a parade, look-alikes and other interesting exhibits and activities! :D
maybeiwill

Postby Madrid74 » 13 Oct 2014, 00:09

"El gordo y el flaco" movies are so funny, I remember to watch that films at the tv when I was a child but dubbed in mexican spanish and years later were dubbed again this time in spanish (castilian) but someone decided that Stan Laurel spoke with a french accent ....
Madrid74

Next

Return to Rory Gallagher's Official Forum ~ Welcome