RICHARD NEWMAN (RORY'S LAST DRUMMER) TALKS ABOUT RORY .

Rory Fans ~ New members checkout updated forum rules.. here before posting please
Forum rules
styles/rules.png

LOOSE TALK ~ Moderator Team..
Cynthia Armento (RobertaSparrow) (USA) John Ganjamie (roryfan) (USA) JJ Joyce (Jay Jay) (UK) Jim Petrover (JimLED) (Ukraine).
© RORY GALLAGHER LOOSE TALK 2013

An interview to Richard Newman, last Rory's drummer

Postby Madrid74 » 29 Aug 2014, 21:30

I was watching the concert at Lorient (1994) and just remembered that among my vaults I have a link to an interesting a very honest Richard Newman interview and he speaks about his days as Rory's drummer.

This is the excerpt related to those times

"Was it then that Richard met up with Rory Gallagher?

“I did a few small projects for a while and then one day the phone rang with an invitation to work with Rory Gallagher. I was 26 and I didn't know much about Rory's work. But I went to meet him and he said he'd known my dad. We got on immediately. There was something very fierce about him, very passionate. Even more so than with Steve Marriott and that's saying something. Every gig we ever did was sold out; his fans were crazy about Rory. His agent's phone was constantly ringing with offers to play huge stadiums all over the world. I'd never seen anything like it; the biggest eye-opener of my life. Probably the best performances, the best nights I ever remember were with Rory on his 'Walkin' Blues Tour'. That was a real high point of my career.

“But the pressure on Rory was massive and he'd say to me, 'They just expect too much of me, you know'. They make people into icons but they demand so much back from them. Rory's refuge was drink. And he became increasingly sick and then died in 1995 after getting an infection following a liver transplant. It was a tragedy and Rory's death made me very sad. It was his own doing but I can understand why. He'd become a good friend and I could still see him as just the young lad from Donegal he always was; he stayed very down to earth.”

And here's the link to the full interview, which from my point of view deserves a reading

http://pennyblackmusic.co.uk/MagSitePages/Article.aspx?id=6867
Madrid74

Re: An interview to Richard Newman, last Rory's drummer

Postby Jay Jay » 30 Aug 2014, 11:53

Madrid74 wrote:I was watching the concert at Lorient (1994) and just remembered that among my vaults I have a link to an interesting a very honest Richard Newman interview and he speaks about his days as Rory's drummer.

This is the excerpt related to those times

"Was it then that Richard met up with Rory Gallagher?

“I did a few small projects for a while and then one day the phone rang with an invitation to work with Rory Gallagher. I was 26 and I didn't know much about Rory's work. But I went to meet him and he said he'd known my dad. We got on immediately. There was something very fierce about him, very passionate. Even more so than with Steve Marriott and that's saying something. Every gig we ever did was sold out; his fans were crazy about Rory. His agent's phone was constantly ringing with offers to play huge stadiums all over the world. I'd never seen anything like it; the biggest eye-opener of my life. Probably the best performances, the best nights I ever remember were with Rory on his 'Walkin' Blues Tour'. That was a real high point of my career.

“But the pressure on Rory was massive and he'd say to me, 'They just expect too much of me, you know'. They make people into icons but they demand so much back from them. Rory's refuge was drink. And he became increasingly sick and then died in 1995 after getting an infection following a liver transplant. It was a tragedy and Rory's death made me very sad. It was his own doing but I can understand why. He'd become a good friend and I could still see him as just the young lad from Donegal he always was; he stayed very down to earth.”

And here's the link to the full interview, which from my point of view deserves a reading

http://pennyblackmusic.co.uk/MagSitePages/Article.aspx?id=6867

Thanks a million Angeles for putting this fascinating and revealing interview with Richard up here..

As I maybe seeing / meeting Richard, next Thursday.
He's playing with our very good friend Barry "Sinnerboy " Barnes :)
http://www.sinnerboy.co.uk/membership/index.php

Rock On for Rory
Slainte, Jay Jay
Jay Jay

Postby roryfan » 30 Aug 2014, 21:08

Thanks for posting!
roryfan

RICHARD NEWMAN (RORY'S LAST DRUMMER) TALKS ABOUT RORY .

Postby SUBY1974 » 31 Aug 2014, 19:24

SUBY1974

Re: RICHARD NEWMAN ( RORY'S LAST DRUMMER) TALKS ABOUT RORY .

Postby Annie Elliott » 31 Aug 2014, 20:47

Thanks again Subrata. Have you seen this one? I just stumbled across it, Ted McKenna telling the story of how he packed his pants and Gerry had to go buy him some at the store. He's a funny guy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9PJ6FgZ9tJ8
Annie Elliott

Postby Madrid74 » 31 Aug 2014, 22:58

Jay Jay wrote:Thanks a million Angeles for putting this fascinating and revealing interview with Richard up here..

Rock On for Rory
Slainte, Jay Jay

:D I enjoyed a lot the only time I saw him play with Rory Gallagher at the beautiful Piazza of Pistoia twenty years ago.
Madrid74

Re: Richard Newman (RORY'S LAST DRUMMER) TALKS ABOUT RORY .

Postby SUBY1974 » 02 Sep 2014, 22:28

Hi Annie. Just posting from my phone. Yes I have seen Ted McKenna you tube video before about his memories of Rory. I wish I had been there as a fly on the wall. Absolutely hilarious. They had fun times on the road. Even though I am submerged in the literature world I always try to keep up with the news in Roryland. Thanks for sharing the you tube clip. I have seen Ted McKenna drumming style and he is brilliant. Subrata.x
SUBY1974

Re: RICHARD NEWMAN (RORY'S LAST DRUMMER) TALKS ABOUT RORY .

Postby Jay Jay » 06 Sep 2014, 11:36

Madrid74 wrote:
Jay Jay wrote:Thanks a million Angeles for putting this fascinating and revealing interview with Richard up here..

Rock On for Rory
Slainte, Jay Jay

:D I enjoyed a lot the only time I saw him play with Rory Gallagher at the beautiful Piazza of Pistoia twenty years ago.

I enjoyed this gig I mentioned I was going to immensely last Thursday in Macclesfield @ The Kiva Club. With Richard Newman, Barry "Sinnerboy" Barnes and Jim Kirkpatrick and other really great musicians. It was a tremendous tribute to RORY's music indeed :) :) :)

Richard Newman.jpg

I did manage to meet and speak to Richard before the gig also. Reminding you all, Richard has played with some other greats of the music business world as mentioned in this article / interview, in the past and present. Richard couldn't speak highly enough of Rory and how gracious and great a guitar player Rory was. Almost implying that he was the best he'd ever worked for. Not forgetting also that he was still in his mid 20's when he first played with Rory in the early 90's. Jokingly he told me he only heard Rory swear twice and tell him off just once. The time he told him off was a live performance in Montreux. He reckoned this was only due to a certain Bob Dylan being in the audience at the time too, lol.
Richard went on to say where ever they played, around the world. The Rory Gallagher Band always sold out their venues, no matter how big the venues or areas were. Plus how loving and appreciative the audience's/ fans were towards Rory. Going on to say though unfortunately that all these great 150 gigs he played with Rory. Were not spoken about as much sadly, as the two gigs in this period of time where Rory's health problems came to a head.
He said also besides saying how gracious Rory was, how generous a man he was too. Not understanding at all why Gerry McAvoy goes on in his book Riding Shotgun about payment?? As he said that Rory and Donal had bought Gerry even a house, besides being paid very generously too.

Finally as to this Thursday evenings entertainment at The Kiva Club in Macclesfield. It was absolutely terrific. You would not know at all, that these musicians had just been put together for the very first time and not played together before. They went through over two and a half hours of Rory's songs, without one note or drum beat missed all night long. I'm a drummer myself and Richard's drum solo in Bullfrog Blues was tremendous. Even I'd say on par with the late great Rod de'Ath solo's of the past :)

Richard Newman, Jim Kirkpatrick & Barry Barnes.jpg

Richard Newman & Barry Barnes.jpg

Rockin' On for Rory
Slainte, Jay Jay
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jay Jay

Postby photofinish » 07 Sep 2014, 09:26

Nice one JJ....but again..why are you bringing up Gerry's book again....?...you really have it in for him...which wasn't what you said in July when we both discussed at length over a pint...folks on here who don't know you,will see it all one way...really think its time to stop this crusade of criticism of Gerry...I for one am looking forward to Band of friends at the cavern....i assume you won't be going to that..?
photofinish

Postby Jay Jay » 07 Sep 2014, 10:51

photofinish wrote:Nice one JJ....but again..why are you bringing up Gerry's book again....?...you really have it in for him...which wasn't what you said in July when we both discussed at length over a pint...folks on here who don't know you,will see it all one way...really think its time to stop this crusade of criticism of Gerry...I for one am looking forward to Band of friends at the cavern....i assume you won't be going to that..?

Hi Mark,
I'm only putting down here what Richard said to me. Not my words his.
There is no crusade against Gerry anymore either? Especially now he has apologized to Donal and the Gallagher family at Lou's funeral.
Admitting the mistakes he allowed Mr Crisp to put in his RS book.

End of distorted story about Rory :)
Jay Jay

Next

Return to Rory Gallagher's Official Forum ~ Welcome