Rory's Dad, Daniel / Danny

Rory Fans ~ New members checkout updated forum rules.. here before posting please
Forum rules
styles/rules.png

LOOSE TALK ~ Moderator Team..
Cynthia Armento (RobertaSparrow) (USA) John Ganjamie (roryfan) (USA) JJ Joyce (Jay Jay) (UK) Jim Petrover (JimLED) (Ukraine).
© RORY GALLAGHER LOOSE TALK 2013

Re: Rory's Dad, Daniel / Danny

Postby capo » 03 Aug 2014, 19:48

Is there not one photo of Rory and Donal's father anywhere?
capo

Re: Rory's Dad, Daniel

Postby RobertaSparrow » 04 Aug 2014, 00:11

capo wrote:Is there not one photo of Rory and Donal's father anywhere?

There was one posted a while back that was thought to be, no one from the family really confirmed it, so the speculation was it was Rory and Donal's dad, or maybe their uncle. Perhaps Donal or Daniel could provide a verified photo of him with his children?
RobertaSparrow

Postby SUBY1974 » 04 Aug 2014, 21:38

A lovely piece on Rory's dad. Subrata. x
https://www.facebook.com/RoryGallagher/ ... 8183814827
SUBY1974

Postby SUBY1974 » 04 Aug 2014, 21:47

http://www.icrates.org/the-life-and-leg ... gallagher/

Even from a young age I think Rory was very focused on playing music is that right?

Correct, yeah, being the younger brother I imagine that he must have been about 5 or 6 and he was already seriously interested in music. Our father was a piano/accordion player so there was a gene in the family to begin with and our mother was a good singer.

So it was a family influence to take up the guitar then?

No, not the guitar as such. My father wasn’t a well-known musician but he was a champion accordion player so he had that dexterity that Rory got I presume. The guitar itself wasn’t a common instrument so my parents didn’t really understand the instrument he was asking to get and I think it was eventually when Roy Rogers was singing ‘Cowboy’ – he was in the comics in those days – it finally clicked with them what he was after as an instrument.
SUBY1974

Postby SUBY1974 » 04 Aug 2014, 21:55

There was a photo somewhere of Donal and a man possibly their father or Uncle at Blackrock Castle in Cork in the late 70s I believe. Subrata. x
SUBY1974

Postby capo » 05 Aug 2014, 14:25

Thanks so much Suby for the article link. I somehow missed this Donal interview and found it most informative. Peace.
capo

Postby RobertaSparrow » 05 Aug 2014, 15:51

SUBY1974 wrote:

There was a photo somewhere of Donal and a man possibly their father or Uncle at Blackrock Castle in Cork in the late 70s I believe. Subrata. x

I think that was the one that was posted somewhere on this forum, purported to be their dad, but was later said to be their uncle who lived in Cork. Daniel or Donal, if you see this, could you scan us a family pic of Daniel Gallagher (the older?) please?
RobertaSparrow

Postby Jay Jay » 05 Aug 2014, 17:51

RobertaSparrow wrote:
SUBY1974 wrote:

I think that was the one that was posted somewhere on this forum, purported to be their dad, but was later said to be their uncle who lived in Cork. Daniel or Donal, if you see this, could you scan us a family pic of Daniel Gallagher (the older?) please?

First post on this..

Yet I ask this same question years ago on the old official Rory Meeting Place forum..
It's always the case also, when I had the chance to ask Donal before. You never seem to ask him about these personal family things at the time? Afterwards you wished you had.
Well I don't think Donal will give us an exclusive here just yet. As you'll have to wait for his RORY BOOK to see them. As he always said when it eventually comes out, it would be very pictorial :)

Btw, I stand to be corrected here. Although his name was Daniel, his friends would have probably called him " Danny " in that part of the world at the time.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ppdB6JX99Q
This may save the confusion from the two also. That is with Rory's nephew and his father in future ;)
Jay Jay

Postby Jay Jay » 06 Aug 2014, 19:10

Jay Jay wrote:Btw, I stand to be corrected here. Although his name was Daniel, his friends would have probably called him " Danny " in that part of the world at the time.
This may save the confusion from the two also. That is with Rory's nephew and his father in future

I've had confirmation this afternoon from Daniel Gallagher (nephew of Rory) about Rory's father..
Hi JJ, yep my grandfather was named ' Daniel ' but as far as I know most people called him Danny.
Jay Jay

Postby RobertaSparrow » 06 Aug 2014, 19:30

Jay Jay wrote:
Jay Jay wrote:Btw, I stand to be corrected here. Although his name was Daniel, his friends would have probably called him " Danny " in that part of the world at the time.
This may save the confusion from the two also. That is with Rory's nephew and his father in future

I've had confirmation this afternoon from Daniel Gallagher (nephew of Rory) about Rory's father..
Hi JJ, yep my grandfather was named ' Daniel ' but as far as I know most people called him Danny.

:mrgreen: So would Daniel have a photo of Danny laying around somewhere for a quick scan? Just one? 8-)
RobertaSparrow

PreviousNext

Return to Rory Gallagher's Official Forum ~ Welcome