Rory's Dad, Daniel / Danny

Rory Fans ~ New members checkout updated forum rules.. here before posting please
Forum rules
styles/rules.png

LOOSE TALK ~ Moderator Team..
Cynthia Armento (RobertaSparrow) (USA) John Ganjamie (roryfan) (USA) JJ Joyce (Jay Jay) (UK) Jim Petrover (JimLED) (Ukraine).
© RORY GALLAGHER LOOSE TALK 2013

Rory's Dad, Daniel / Danny

Postby paddywarde » 31 Jul 2014, 19:34

Hi Guys, just out of curiosity, I read Marcus Connaughton's Book of Rory's biography and he didn't talk much about his childhood and mentioned very little of Rory's dad, Daniel Gallagher. So my question is what happened to Daniel and when did he pass away? I know he originally came from Tyroconnell, Co. Derry.
paddywarde

Re: Rory's Dad, Daniel

Postby Irishcelticgirl » 31 Jul 2014, 20:46

Rory and Donal's father passed away in Derry (Londonderry) in 1975.
Irishcelticgirl

Postby Tibbierocks » 31 Jul 2014, 21:52

I have wondered about their dad and how much he was around in rory and donal's childhood. what did he look like? I can't imagine what it must be like if your dad isn't around much. mine's only 5 mins away from where I live.
Tibbierocks

Postby paddywarde » 01 Aug 2014, 18:01

I have a funny feeling that Daniel and Monica split up in Derry, because there was never any mention of Daniel from then on when the family moved to Cork.
paddywarde

Postby keltic wolf » 01 Aug 2014, 18:24

Funny I was just thinkin today what did Rory and Donals dad look like...did they look more like their mum or dad
Here I am...where are you?
keltic wolf

Postby paddywarde » 01 Aug 2014, 22:50

I saw a picture of Rory's mum and Rory looked like her.
paddywarde

Postby Tibbierocks » 02 Aug 2014, 07:13

paddywarde wrote:I saw a picture of Rory's mum and Rory looked like her.

Indeed he did.
Tibbierocks

Postby paddywarde » 02 Aug 2014, 23:56

Irishcelticgirl wrote:Rory and Donal's father passed away in Derry (Londonderry) in 1975.

What date did he die?
paddywarde

Postby SUBY1974 » 03 Aug 2014, 18:17

A little bit about Rory's dad is mentioned in this interview Donal gave to Milo on the 24/04/2012.
http://shadowplays.com/blog/?tag=donal- ... er&paged=3

The thing is, my sister told me about how your dad used to make stained glass pictures out of sweet wrappers!

Yes, that’s right! It’s great that she remembered that!

I think it’s amazing and strange that your dad used to make stained glass pictures from sweet wrappers and here you are commissioning proper stained glass to commemorate one of your family… and the person doing it is from Gourock!

Luckily, I still have one that my dad did. It was done during the war years when they didn’t have a lot. My dad used to get just a piece of glass and shape it all and then hand paint a scene in black paint and then, over a period of time, he’d collect sweet papers – you know, the foil and cellophane – and there were all sorts of patterns on those. I remember as a kid there was a magnificent one of a woman running across a common and she was in a full, flowing Victorian dress with a brolly and a bonnet and so on. The sweet wrappers were glued to cardboard before they were mounted on the glass, so it had a beveled effect.
The one I still have, the glass is cracked so there’s not a lot I can do with it, but that’s of an old sailing ship in full sail. The sails are in silver and there’s a storm in the background – he was a very artistic man, plus he was a musician. He was in the Sean Kelly Dance Orchestra. He would’ve been Ireland’s answer to Jimmy Shand! He won all these cups and medals, but then the war broke out. There was no conscription in the north of Ireland, so you either had to take a boat to Liverpool or wherever and
enlist in some regiment you didn’t know, but at that time he couldn’t afford that, so he walked across the border to Donegal and joined the army, where he was transferred to Cork and that’s how he met my mother.
SUBY1974

Postby RobertaSparrow » 03 Aug 2014, 19:28

SUBY1974 wrote:A little bit about Rory's dad is mentioned in this interview Donal gave to Milo on the 24/04/2012.
http://shadowplays.com/blog/?tag=donal- ... er&paged=3

The thing is, my sister told me about how your dad used to make stained glass pictures out of sweet wrappers!

Yes, that’s right! It’s great that she remembered that!

I think it’s amazing and strange that your dad used to make stained glass pictures from sweet wrappers and here you are commissioning proper stained glass to commemorate one of your family… and the person doing it is from Gourock!

Luckily, I still have one that my dad did. It was done during the war years when they didn’t have a lot. My dad used to get just a piece of glass and shape it all and then hand paint a scene in black paint and then, over a period of time, he’d collect sweet papers – you know, the foil and cellophane – and there were all sorts of patterns on those. I remember as a kid there was a magnificent one of a woman running across a common and she was in a full, flowing Victorian dress with a brolly and a bonnet and so on. The sweet wrappers were glued to cardboard before they were mounted on the glass, so it had a beveled effect.
The one I still have, the glass is cracked so there’s not a lot I can do with it, but that’s of an old sailing ship in full sail. The sails are in silver and there’s a storm in the background – he was a very artistic man, plus he was a musician. He was in the Sean Kelly Dance Orchestra. He would’ve been Ireland’s answer to Jimmy Shand! He won all these cups and medals, but then the war broke out. There was no conscription in the north of Ireland, so you either had to take a boat to Liverpool or wherever and
enlist in some regiment you didn’t know, but at that time he couldn’t afford that, so he walked across the border to Donegal and joined the army, where he was transferred to Cork and that’s how he met my mother.

Hi Suby, I remember reading that- couldn't remember the source. Thanks for adding the link. Now, that is an interesting insight into the man, and sheds a lot of light on the influences, those we inherit, and those we learn from our parents. 8-)

Thanks for sharing it!
RobertaSparrow

Next

Return to Rory Gallagher's Official Forum ~ Welcome