Greetings from Augusta, Ga.

Rory Fans ~ All new members checkout updated forum rules.. here before posting please
Forum rules
styles/rules.png

LOOSE TALK ~ Moderator Team..
Cynthia Armento (RobertaSparrow) (USA) John Ganjamie (roryfan) (USA) JJ Joyce (Jay Jay) (UK) Jim Petrover (JimLED) (Ukraine).
© RORY GALLAGHER LOOSE TALK 2013

Greetings from Augusta, Ga.

Postby maybeiwill » 24 Jul 2014, 18:28

Discovered Rory Gallagher in '71 back home in upstate N.Y. thanks to a music-geek named Steve (thanks Steve!) For some reason, I hadn't quite kept up with Rory or his music, although I did know about his untimely death in '95. I guess daily life just got in my way. However, I just started listening again to his older stuff and wonder how I could have ever forgotten what a genius he was! Would absolutely have loved to have seen him live back in his heyday - and I envy those of you who did. I think I'll start saving up so that one day I might be able to get to Ballyshannon for the Rory festival! Yeah; maybe I will! :D
maybeiwill

Re: Greetings from Augusta, Ga.

Postby JimLED » 24 Jul 2014, 23:31

Welcome to Loose Talk, maybeiwill! :)
Great welcome!
Every gun makes its own tune.. Image
After a meal there's nothing like a good cigar.
JimLED

Postby SUBY1974 » 27 Jul 2014, 21:41

Welcome to Rory land. What kind of genre books do you write? Subrata. x
SUBY1974

Postby maybeiwill » 28 Jul 2014, 20:40

I should clarify, that I mainly write stories and have never even tried to publish anything - wouldn't have the slightest idea how to go about it! I think I've thrown out more material than I've written! Anyway, I'm currently working on three separate stories. When I hit the writer's block wall on one, I switch to another. Of the three, one is sort of Sci-Fi, one is fantasy and one is a mystery being solved by dogs! The main story that I've completed and let a couple of friends read is a combination of Sci-Fi and very mild horror. The dog story started one November 1st during "Write a Novel Month," but I never got the 50,000 words necessary and the story kind of got away from me and started to take on a life of it's own! Suddenly there were characters I had never intended to introduce and new scenarios I didn't know what to do with!
At any rate, I've decided to have a Rory Gallagher poster on the wall of one of my character's room. Unfortunately, it will be hanging next to other posters of women in various stages of undress, but the room does belong to a nineteen year old guy, so I guess it makes sense! ;)
maybeiwill

Postby Tibbierocks » 31 Jul 2014, 17:24

hello, welcome to the forum. :-)
Tibbierocks

Postby SUBY1974 » 31 Jul 2014, 21:13

[quote="maybeiwill"]I should clarify, that I mainly write stories and have never even tried to publish anything - wouldn't have the slightest idea how to go about it! I think I've thrown out more material than I've written! Anyway, I'm currently working on three separate stories. When I hit the writer's block wall on one, I switch to another. Of the three, one is sort of Sci-Fi, one is fantasy and one is a mystery being solved by dogs! The main story that I've completed and let a couple of friends read is a combination of Sci-Fi and very mild horror. The dog story started one November 1st during "Write a Novel Month," but I never got the 50,000 words necessary and the story kind of got away from me and started to take on a life of it's own! Suddenly there were characters I had never intended to introduce and new scenarios I didn't know what to do with!
At any rate, I've decided to have a Rory Gallagher poster on the wall of one of my character's room. Unfortunately, it will be hanging next to other posters of women in various stages of undress, but the room does belong to a nineteen year old guy, so I guess it makes sense! ;)

Yes publishing a book in the fickle book industry is not easy. I know various authors publishing their books but the Writers and Artists handbook which is produced every year gives invaluable tips. One has to have a draft of their books and send a few chapters with a covering letter, telling them about the book to a publisher or agent. The Writers and Artists handbook has many publishers of different genres listed there and so its best to choose the publishers who publish your genre of books. For me its the spiritual, supernatural and paranormal genre. However literary agents get 10,000 manuscripts a month and only select 10 manuscripts. Most publishers want solicited manuscripts ( represented by an literary agent) and very few accept unsolicited material. Publishers don't have the time to go through piles of manuscripts but a literary agent can get their attention. However my friend Leigh Russell just sent her manuscript straight to a small independent publisher and they offered her a 3 deal book deal! She is very successful author now and still has no agent. Also agents will charge a fee about 15 to 20% of the profits. Ideally a publisher and yourself should have 50/50 % profit. Another way is to publish is to self publish. Author House, Lulu are very good and then promote the book yourself. Amazon to will allow you to publish a book with them for free. If you can of your own efforts sell 3000 books a serious publisher could become very interested and offer you a deal. Publishers will not put much time in promoting the books. Leigh Russell had to do that herself and she went to bookstores, book events, writers groups, bookclubs, bookfairs etc to promote her books and to talk about it. After all you are writer and no one but you will know what your books about. I have always been told to write a book worth reading. If you do a childrens book that is harder to promote and I know that through tough experience. Councils have to give you permission to promote the book in schools and libraries. They are not willing to do it unless you are an "established author". However how can one be established if you can't promote your books? Finally famous people get book deals because they have a "selling power". I don't get annoyed anymore because their path is theirs and my path is mine. Barbara Towell wrote a books and self published it through Author House, she promoted it , a literary agent snapped it up and a publisher published it. She now has a poetry book out. There are many ways to publish and there are no hard or fast rules. Just be careful that no one rips you off. I always recommend to join Author Society who can check out your book contract and go to a proper editing service to edit the book. I am training to be a proofreader myself and get paid work. I am working on a novel, a poetry books, a tri- children novel and a play. I also feel its good to join bookclubs and writing groups. They teach you how to find your own style of writing and to improve your writing and how to get inspiration and ideas. I am also doing a course with Writers Bureau and also mix with other writers. Sometimes its not always what you know but who you know. Many publishers and literature agents visit bookclubs and writer groups. I am amazed that the bookclub I helped to create in London The Sunday Bookclub is now such a success. I can't wait to promote my novel and poetry book there. Also final advise is read, read and read books. That will improve one's writing and vocabulary a thousand fold. Also keep writing. Write blogs, e-mails, diaries or anything. Julie Cameron ( the former wife of Martin Scorsese the director)wrote a book called The Artist Way and she teaches a writer to write down their thoughts everyday on three pages called the Morning Pages. It just gets the creative juices flowing. Gets your mind thinking. Most of my own ideas come from my life experiences and dreams. I also keep a notebook to write down any ideas whereever I go. One thing I have to say is I love writing and its my passion. I do want to be a recognised author but if it does not happen thats ok. I will still write all the same. It is a part of who I am. Hope this helps. If you want to know anymore just e-mail me. Subrata. x
SUBY1974

Postby SUBY1974 » 04 Aug 2014, 13:25

Never give up getting published. JK Rowling was rejected 15 times before Bloomsbury offered her a deal Subrata.x
SUBY1974

Postby maybeiwill » 06 Aug 2014, 19:54

Thanks, Subrata, for all the info and encouragement. I have been thinking about joining a local writer's group here in Augusta, Ga. For some reason, there seems to be an inordinate number of writers in this little rinky-dink city. several of whom have self-published and have had write-ups and reviews in the local newspaper. As I have stated before, I don't actually have much that I am completely happy with as yet, but it looks like, at least for now, I'm going to be sticking with short stories. Maybe if I eventually get enough to make an anthology of sorts, I could self-publish. We shall see.... ;)
P.S. I always wanted to move to London (I have a bit of a "thing" for British/UK men!) - should have done it years and years ago. Kinda too late now....I'm married to an Hispanic!
maybeiwill

Postby Annie Elliott » 11 Aug 2014, 12:30

So glad you're here and looking forward to reading your work.
Last edited by Annie Elliott on 15 Jun 2015, 12:03, edited 1 time in total.
Annie Elliott

Postby Annie Elliott » 11 Aug 2014, 12:33

Thanks a bunch for all the good information too, about the Author's Handbook. I'll see if I pick up any tips at the Cork conference to share with everyone....I'll do it PM so as not to spam...
Last edited by Annie Elliott on 15 Jun 2015, 12:03, edited 1 time in total.
Annie Elliott

Next

Return to Introduction & Welcome for New Members