Rory's Rockpalast performance 37 years ago today

Rory Fans ~ New members checkout updated forum rules.. here before posting please
Forum rules
styles/rules.png

LOOSE TALK ~ Moderator Team..
Cynthia Armento (RobertaSparrow) (USA) John Ganjamie (roryfan) (USA) JJ Joyce (Jay Jay) (UK) Jim Petrover (JimLED) (Ukraine).
© RORY GALLAGHER LOOSE TALK 2013

Rory's Rockpalast performance 37 years ago today

Postby capo » 23 Jul 2014, 18:59

I have always loved watching Rory's performance from the first live Rockpalast in Essen, Germany for one reason, I think its his most joyful show I have ever seen. He is almost giddy with emotion. Considering the pressure of performing live to millions of viewers Rory seems completely calm and in command of the stage with both grace and intensity. But its the happiness and joy that comes through that is memorable. Watch his reaction to the crowd after a stunning version of "Tattoo'd Lady", he almost laughs his thanks. Watch again this charismatic performance.
capo

Re: Rory's Rockpalast performance 37 years ago today

Postby Vincent » 23 Jul 2014, 21:13

Man, I love that show too! Hard to believe I was only two years old then... I love the moment just before Rory jumps in the air during Tattoo'd Lady. And what a solo anyway!
Vincent

Postby RobertaSparrow » 24 Jul 2014, 16:00

That's what made his shows something special, he was so happy, and the joy in him just radiated out to the crowd, it was truly contagious! Never saw anyone like him before or since. 8-)
RobertaSparrow

Postby innuendo » 27 Jul 2014, 17:29

when you look at some of the greatest performers ever (rory, freddie, dio...) they seem to make it look like it's easy but of course it's not. otherwise everyone would be fantastic. it just came easy to them cos they had it all-charisma, commanding stage presence, a way to connect with an audience...
I watched as fear took the old men's gaze
Hopes of the young in troubled graves
'I see no day' I heard him say
So grey is the face of every mortal
innuendo

Postby Tom Jonas » 28 Jul 2014, 16:53

I've said it before, and repeat it again!
Lorely 1982 is my absolute favourite. Why?
Because it is an (almost) complete concert, a warm summernight, I could have been 20-something years, a lot of beer, ten good friends or so, and a beautiful girl who I'm certain will be mine some day.

There are better recordings, but the whole atmosphere is so superb! And organ and claviatur together with saxophones was not a bad idea. Willie Dixon's What in the World is soo beautifully bluesy performed!! Peter Green never made a bluesrecording of this class (but he was superb too)
Tom Jonas

Return to Rory Gallagher's Official Forum ~ Welcome