Page 2 of 3

Re: Rory Fan Fiction?

PostPosted: 24 Jul 2014, 19:13
by maybeiwill
Great story Annie about being hit-on by an Osmond! Not to do with Rory, but when I worked in a science museum, I once explained how magnetic levitation works to (unrecognized by me at the time) magician David Copperfield!
Anyway, I have to agree with some of the others that creating a fictional story about a real person can get really dicey. I am a "wannabe" writer myself who makes mention of real people in my stories at times, but they are not actual characters in those stories. You have, however, given me the idea to have a Rory Gallagher song playing, or a Rory poster hanging on a wall in a story I'm currently working on. Mentioning some people and their music can immediately make a written work seem out-of-date, unless of course, you are writing about that particular time period. But, Rory's music is virtually timeless - it will never get old!

Re: Rory Fan Fiction?

PostPosted: 27 Jul 2014, 18:47
by SUBY1974
Great story Annie and anyone can write. Its not that difficult to develop one's own style of writing. Subrata. x

Re: Rory Fan Fiction?

PostPosted: 04 Aug 2014, 09:37
by Annie Elliott
maybeiwill wrote:Great story Annie about being hit-on by an Osmond! Not to do with Rory, but when I worked in a science museum, I once explained how magnetic levitation works to (unrecognized by me at the time) magician David Copperfield!
Anyway, I have to agree with some of the others that creating a fictional story about a real person can get really dicey. I am a "wannabe" writer myself who makes mention of real people in my stories at times, but they are not actual characters in those stories. You have, however, given me the idea to have a Rory Gallagher song playing, or a Rory poster hanging on a wall in a story I'm currently working on. Mentioning some people and their music can immediately make a written work seem out-of-date, unless of course, you are writing about that particular time period. But, Rory's music is virtually timeless - it will never get old!



What a great story about David Copperfield! It seems so odd, but of course it shouldn't, that famous people just walk around like anyone. My friend at work said John Hurt (? I think) tried to chat her up at a grocery story, and a woman I used to work with actually dated Nick Nolte a few times after meeting him walking down the street in San Francisco. I should have said how nice that Osmond guy was, by the way.

Anyway I would love to read anything you write, but especially with Rory in it! I have little bits about him in the book I'm writing, and there's a character who is a lot like him too, but not him. I laughed about RobertaSparrow's comment of how weird it would be to have him performing a marriage ceremony or something, that was quite funny. I just want more people to know about him, and putting little bits in all kinds of writing might tickle people's curiosity and get them to listen to his music. I can't believe I didn't know about him, and so many people I know have never heard of him.

Subrata, would love to see your stories too!

Take care! xxx Annie

Re: Rory Fan Fiction?

PostPosted: 05 Aug 2014, 17:39
by maybeiwill
I actually used to work at a science museum (now unfortunately out-of-business) that was visited by many famous people when they were in town for The Masters golf tournament. We've had people like Billy Crystal, Jim Belushi, Will Smith, Lance Armstrong, Michael Jordon and Kenny G to name a few. I wonder if Rory ever attended The Masters as a spectator - I doubt it, but he was a golfer, so one never knows!
As far as my stories go, I'm relatively new to it and have only actually completed one that I am fond of (newly updated to include some Rory references!) The problem with the story is that it presumes a pre-knowledge of a certain Colonial American historical occurence and if you don't know about it, at the end of the story you basically just think, "HUH?" I've tried to add a short explanation by one of the characters, but I'm not sure if it's enough.
Anyway, would I send it to you and Subrata through Private Messages? Sorry, but sometimes I'm a bit of a "Compu-ramus!"

Re: Rory Fan Fiction?

PostPosted: 06 Aug 2014, 15:10
by RobertaSparrow
maybeiwill wrote: . . I wonder if Rory ever attended The Masters as a spectator - I doubt it, but he was a golfer, so one never knows!
. .


That's a new one. I never heard that Rory ever played golf. Never saw him in a photo with a golf club. Or ever heard any reference to golf in any of his interviews or songs. Are you sure you mean the same Rory? Amazingly good looking guy with a worn out Strat, a magician with music, and an unforgettable smile? That Rory?


Re: Rory Fan Fiction?

PostPosted: 06 Aug 2014, 19:00
by Jay Jay
RobertaSparrow wrote:
maybeiwill wrote: . . I wonder if Rory ever attended The Masters as a spectator - I doubt it, but he was a golfer, so one never knows!
. .

That's a new one. I never heard that Rory ever played golf. Never saw him in a photo with a golf club. Or ever heard any reference to golf in any of his interviews or songs. Are you sure you mean the same Rory? Amazingly good looking guy with a worn out Strat, a magician with music, and an unforgettable smile? That Rory?



This is not Rory fan fiction..

Rory never was into golf .. Although the fact is, the recent crowned British Open Golf Champion and former US Golf Champion Rory Mcilroy (Northern Ireland) was named after Rory Gallagher. Thanks to his parents whom are fans of our Rory.
They used to go see him regularly at The Ulster Hall Belfast :)

Re: Rory Fan Fiction?

PostPosted: 06 Aug 2014, 19:05
by RobertaSparrow
Jay Jay wrote:
RobertaSparrow wrote:
maybeiwill wrote: . . I wonder if Rory ever attended The Masters as a spectator - I doubt it, but he was a golfer, so one never knows!
. .

That's a new one. I never heard that Rory ever played golf. Never saw him in a photo with a golf club. Or ever heard any reference to golf in any of his interviews or songs. Are you sure you mean the same Rory? Amazingly good looking guy with a worn out Strat, a magician with music, and an unforgettable smile? That Rory?



This is not Rory fan fiction..

Rory never was into golf but did you know.. Although the fact is, the recent crowned British Open Golf Champion and former US Golf Champion Rory Mcilroy (Northern Ireland) was named after Rory Gallagher. Thanks to his parents whom are fans of our Rory.
They used to go see him regularly at The Ulster Hall Belfast :)


Rory McIlroy! :lol: :lol: :lol: I thought there was more than a coincidence there . . a case of mistaken Rories ( is the plural of Rory Rorys or Rories?) :?

Re: Rory Fan Fiction?

PostPosted: 06 Aug 2014, 20:21
by maybeiwill
Not mistaken about the Rorys; very familiar with Rory McIlroy - but, why did I read in another thread that our Rory showed up somewhere wearing a golf shirt. Maybe it's just that we (in this neck of the woods) only call them golf shirts if you wear them to play golf....Then again, we call them polo shirts and I'm willing to bet that all of those who wear them haven't just come from a polo match!!! :lol:
I guess an "OOPS! MY BAD!" is in order! :roll:

Re: Rory Fan Fiction?

PostPosted: 06 Aug 2014, 21:24
by RobertaSparrow
There's Rory wearing a University of California Santa Barbara Football Jersey, but I don't think he ever played American football. I know he played soccer, or, to the rest of the world, football, but not the same football as that shirt is for ;)



Starts out with Rod leading the way, and Rory next to him :D I bet a lot of those shirts were gifts from fans, he also wore a Notre Dame Fighting Irish football jersey at one of his shows, but I don't think he was a fighter either. 8-)

Re: Rory Fan Fiction?

PostPosted: 11 Aug 2014, 10:46
by Annie Elliott
maybeiwill wrote:As far as my stories go, I'm relatively new to it and have only actually completed one that I am fond of (newly updated to include some Rory references!) The problem with the story is that it presumes a pre-knowledge of a certain Colonial American historical occurence and if you don't know about it, at the end of the story you basically just think, "HUH?" I've tried to add a short explanation by one of the characters, but I'm not sure if it's enough.
Anyway, would I send it to you and Subrata through Private Messages? Sorry, but sometimes I'm a bit of a "Compu-ramus!"


Oh, yes, that would be great, I would love to read it! I sent something fairly long here on PM and I just cut and pasted it. Regarding the historical occurrence issue - have you read 'Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell' by Susanna Clarke? She uses footnotes to great effect in a fictional work.

Very much looking forward to reading your story! Hilarious about the Rory golf thing too :lol: