A Little Rory to Lift the Spirits

Rory Fans ~ New members checkout updated forum rules.. here before posting please
Forum rules
styles/rules.png

LOOSE TALK ~ Moderator Team..
Cynthia Armento (RobertaSparrow) (USA) John Ganjamie (roryfan) (USA) JJ Joyce (Jay Jay) (UK) Jim Petrover (JimLED) (Ukraine).
© RORY GALLAGHER LOOSE TALK 2013

A Little Rory to Lift the Spirits

Postby RobertaSparrow » 10 Jul 2014, 20:00

It's been a rough few weeks. One thing I used to look forward to in seeing Rory play was, watching him up on stage, the happiness and joy he radiated when he'd play, it could really lift the spirit. That's what I loved about watching him- it gave me a short vacation from the troubles around me. I could use a little of that now, a little dose of lightness for heart and spirit. So, if you are so inclined, list one of Rory's songs that does that for you, and even those of you out there who never post, I presume you listen to Rory's music, else why would you be here? ;) So, even if you have never posted before, post the title of your go-to Rory song, a favorite that helps lift your spirits, you needn't post a why or a reason if you don't want, just the title.

I'll go first- (and it's no easy task, I have a lot of favorites)

Okay, I love that acoustic sound of his!
RobertaSparrow

Re: A Little Rory to Lift the Spirits

Postby blues blooded » 12 Jul 2014, 10:26

God, this is a hard one. It would need to be an upbeat one, so I will go for Shadow Play
blues blooded

Postby RobertaSparrow » 12 Jul 2014, 15:54

blues blooded wrote:God, this is a hard one. It would need to be an upbeat one, so I will go for Shadow Play

Shadow Play is pretty upbeat, but a little nightmarish too, would make for a good Halloween song as well :)
RobertaSparrow

Postby AnnaMaria » 12 Jul 2014, 20:13

I guess there is a Rory song for every mood.

If I´m tired and want more energy I listen to I take what I want or When you´ll be mine. Makes me want to dance.

If I am a Little bit down I curl up in the sofa and listen to the saxophone from Can´t Believe it´s true.
AnnaMaria

Postby RobertaSparrow » 13 Jul 2014, 00:52

AnnaMaria wrote:I guess there is a Rory song for every mood.

If I´m tired and want more energy I listen to I take what I want or When you´ll be mine. Makes me want to dance.

If I am a Little bit down I curl up in the sofa and listen to the saxophone from Can´t Believe it´s true.

I like that one, too. But the lyrics are a little too sad for me if I'm already trying to lift my spirits. It is a beautiful song though.
RobertaSparrow

Postby RobertaSparrow » 13 Jul 2014, 01:10

This Taste recording is one of my very favorites- I hadn't heard this recording literally in decades until last year, and immediately when I heard it my mind took me back to when I was 15 or 16, and one of the "underground" FM stations in L.A. must have had a copy of it floating around, because it was like a sudden flashback to an earlier version of me, when I was a kid and there were soooo many possibilities laid before me (that I ultimately burned through and missed :roll: ). But the memories, this album, it soothes the spirit and quiets those annoying doubts and fears, as long as it plays- Specially Pontiac Blues-

All of it in fact, from I'm Moving On, to Pontiac Blues, to Baby Please Don't Go. And he does Bye Bye Bird in there, too. Years later, at one of his last concerts, he does a heart-wrenching version of the same song, so very powerfully, and with such emotion, listen to that early version of ByeBye Bird, then the one from '94, and you can hear the story of his life sung from the deepest part of his soul- back-to-back and it almost sums up his journey, from the young handsome 20-year-old man to the 47 year old seasoned artist who knew his time was ending soon.

Amazing music, and at that time in 1968 I had no idea who Rory was or who Taste was. Rory sounded like some gruff, mean old guy, but I loved the music. Had I seen him play this, I'd have gotten hooked into his music that much sooner!
RobertaSparrow

Postby Tina » 13 Jul 2014, 21:43

FOLLOW ME ....

for me everything started with this song. Will always be "The Song" for me. Last year I listened again to a lot of Gary Moore stuff, read in an Gary Moore Interview about this book - riding shotgun- read this book and thought, maybe I should now listen to the music of "this" Rory Gallagher-.... first song I listen to was.... " Follow me" and it took me immediatly...

so " follow me" will be forever special to me... introduced me to so many great Rory songs I never heard before... made me wanting to learn to play the guitar more than ever....and started to learn to play the guitar... found a great guitarteacher... ..... and the story goes on... ;-)
a chain reaction, started with ... you know... ;-)

tina
Tina

Postby RobertaSparrow » 14 Jul 2014, 01:15

Tina wrote:FOLLOW ME ....

for me everything started with this song. Will always be "The Song" for me. Last year I listened again to a lot of Gary Moore stuff, read in an Gary Moore Interview about this book - riding shotgun- read this book and thought, maybe I should now listen to the music of "this" Rory Gallagher-.... first song I listen to was.... " Follow me" and it took me immediatly...

so " follow me" will be forever special to me... introduced me to so many great Rory songs I never heard before... made me wanting to learn to play the guitar more than ever....and started to learn to play the guitar... found a great guitarteacher... ..... and the story goes on... ;-)
a chain reaction, started with ... you know... ;-)

tina

Tina, Excellent choice! "Follow Me" - He wouldn't have to ask twice! ;) Yes, Gary Moore was there for Rory near the end, visited him, befriended him. And IMO, Rory would have been a great teacher. In so many interviews all one had to do was ask him, "how do you do xyz?" and he would take the time to explain and demonstrate. Seems he loved to share his "secrets," all one had to do was ask him!

RobertaSparrow

Postby Jay Jay » 15 Jul 2014, 21:04

This Rory song lifts my spirits every time :) :) :) :) :) :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=levECZ0BoCI
Jay Jay

Postby RobertaSparrow » 16 Jul 2014, 15:50

Jay Jay wrote:This Rory song lifts my spirits every time :) :) :) :) :) :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=levECZ0BoCI

:o I love the scream he starts with! I ought to use that for my ringtone. :D
RobertaSparrow

Next

Return to Rory Gallagher's Official Forum ~ Welcome