Poll ~ Have you seen Rory play live?

Rory Fans ~ New members checkout updated forum rules.. here before posting please
Forum rules
styles/rules.png

LOOSE TALK ~ Moderator Team..
Cynthia Armento (RobertaSparrow) (USA) John Ganjamie (roryfan) (USA) JJ Joyce (Jay Jay) (UK) Jim Petrover (JimLED) (Ukraine).
© RORY GALLAGHER LOOSE TALK 2013

Have you seen Rory play live ?

Yes. I have had the honour
70%
Sadly, no
30%

Total votes : 23

Poll ~ Have you seen Rory play live?

Postby blues blooded » 09 Jul 2014, 11:26

I'm interested to see how many forum members were fortunate enough to see Rory in concert. Sadly I never did, being a late convert. From what I have seen he would have been fantastic
Last edited by blues blooded on 09 Jul 2014, 20:55, edited 1 time in total.
blues blooded

Re: Poll. Have you seen Rory play live?

Postby capo » 09 Jul 2014, 16:13

Good idea. I always wondered also. I had the honor to see Rory once in 1985 in a club in Tempe, Arizona. Maybe after voting, posters could tell how many times and the dates, if they can remember! Peace.
capo

Postby RobertaSparrow » 09 Jul 2014, 17:23

It's harder than it would seem to remember how many times. I have a clear memory of seeing Rory at a club in Los Angeles (and by Los Angeles it could have been Hollywood, West L.A., Santa Monica, Long Beach or any of the outlying areas, they all tend to be considered Los Angeles by the rest of the world) and I know it was a fairly small club, and there was another act on that night, Rory did two sets and the other artist did two, and I clearly remember the other artist was Edwin Starr, but I have never ever found any reference to that on the internet. It is a very clear recollection though. And I can't remember exactly how many times I did see him. It was as often as I could afford, but not as often as I would have wanted to. 8-)

P.S. did you vote Capo? I did, and I think Blues Blooded did, and so far there are two votes . . . :ugeek:
RobertaSparrow

Postby capo » 09 Jul 2014, 18:19

Yes Roberta I voted. You and I are the two Yes ones so far. My god Roberta, do I envy you! To have seen Rory so many times your not sure how many! Wow. I think I remember you writing once that this was all shows in the '70s. He toured here in '82, '85 and '91. Did he, like me after '85, drop off your radar because of, well life changes? If that's not too personal to ask. I just got burned out from the grind of concert s and music in general and lost interest for many years. I rediscovered Rory in 2000. I regret that I did not see him in '91 at the same club I seen him in '85. But things change, don't they.
capo

Postby Jay Jay » 09 Jul 2014, 18:37

capo wrote:Yes Roberta I voted.

I don't think so Capo?
I was the second to vote "Yes" that I had the honour to see Rory play live :)

Rory Tickets (2).jpg

Try again please ;)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jay Jay

Postby RobertaSparrow » 09 Jul 2014, 19:08

Oh, I have wished I had seen him in later years. I was fairly young and shy back when I used to go to those concerts, usually went with my boyfriend (a drummer in a band, wouldn't you know it? :roll: ) and his band mates and our friends. We were all really into Rory. I think I mentioned, the first time we went to see him, the bass player and the guitarist were so impressed that they went home and sanded all the paint finish off their respective instruments because of Rory and his Strat. And the guitarist had a really beautiful shiny black 55 Les Paul with gold hardware. :lol: Fortunately, it still looked pretty good stripped down to bare wood. And my friend Boz, who was also a guitarist, went out the next day, and spent his entire paycheck on a Dobro because of Rory and his National Steel.

They were all shows in the 70's, and when my boyfriend and I broke up (talk about stormy relationships) I stopped going to concerts altogether for a long while, because I was too timid to go out into crowds alone, and I remained friends with all those people, but not enough that I hung out with them anymore. You know, when you break up with someone, the mutual friends tend to form sides, and I was never into forming sides. I'm very much a loner.

But I loved watching Rory play, and I thought about him many times over the years. Outside of my circle of Rory friends, I sort of lost touch with when Rory was in town, plus, Rory was such a bright, happy spot in my thoughts and memories, I figured he would always be around. In Los Angeles he had a very definite following of loyal fans, but you never heard about him in the mainstream.

I regret not seeing him in his later years, when he came to Los Angeles, and he played at the more intimate clubs, to smaller crowds. Especially when I found out one of his last concerts in Southern California was at the Golden Bear in Huntington Beach. I can't think of a better place to see him play, unless it could be in my own house :) . I will always regret not seeing him toward the end, of letting him know how much his music, his artistry, and his beautiful spirit meant to me. :mrgreen:

P.S. for those members too shy to post comments, you can still vote. I'm curious to know as well, how many got to see the great man on stage?
RobertaSparrow

Postby capo » 09 Jul 2014, 19:37

Got it right this time Jay Jay! Thanks Roberta for your reply and great memoires. God, to go back in time and be young again. But we were so lucky to have been in his presence and seen him play his heart out for us. Peace.
capo

Postby Jay Jay » 09 Jul 2014, 19:56

capo wrote: we were so lucky to have been in his presence and seen him play his heart out for us. Peace.

:D :D :D
Amen!!!
Jay Jay

Postby photofinish » 09 Jul 2014, 20:48

36 times between 1980..and 1992...
photofinish

Postby Stevo » 09 Jul 2014, 21:55

Just the once for me.
Defender Tour 1987 at Newcastle.
Wish I had a recording of it to remind me.
Stevo

Next

Return to Rory Gallagher's Official Forum ~ Welcome