Rockumentary

Rory Fans ~ New members checkout updated forum rules.. here before posting please
Forum rules
styles/rules.png

LOOSE TALK ~ Moderator Team..
Cynthia Armento (RobertaSparrow) (USA) John Ganjamie (roryfan) (USA) JJ Joyce (Jay Jay) (UK) Jim Petrover (JimLED) (Ukraine).
© RORY GALLAGHER LOOSE TALK 2013

Rockumentary

Postby Annie Elliott » 22 Jun 2014, 11:55

Netflix has a slew of Rockumentaries available, and I've watched a few lately: story of the fantastic punk feminist Kathleen Hannah, one about a band called Death (some black dudes in the 70's motown world who were way into punk, awesome); a Rush offering (one poster of a show with Rory but not a word about him otherwise, although they have a mutual love fest with Kiss); and most recently one about Ginger Baker. They were all entertaining but the one with Mr. Baker was especially well done, I thought. Historically interesting, and as sympathetic a picture of an almost entirely irascible character as you could paint - I found out he loves horses and dogs, for instance, and dude is probably one of the least racist people on the planet. Can't say I like him any better as a person but it was an insightful look at a complex and talented guy and a fun ride through some heady musical times.

Anyway, I'd love to see a well-done new biopic of Rory sorta like this, especially given the 20th of his passing will be next year.
Annie Elliott

Re: Rockumentary

Postby capo » 22 Jun 2014, 14:26

As a 'musical' biographical documentary I don't think you can get any better than "Ghost Blues". But we are at a terrible disadvantage in producing a film like those ones you mentioned, Rory is gone and those artists are still here to speak for themselves. But I agree with you, a new doc should and could be made, and time is of the essence, because as time goes on more of those who knew Rory are passing from the scene. A while back I suggest some type of Rory oral history project where people who knew Rory or had first hand experiences with him could be documented and recorded as a wellspring for future projects. Time is running out. Heres hoping something like you speak of can be produced.
capo

Postby RobertaSparrow » 22 Jun 2014, 16:42

It is astounding how quickly the time has passed, and so many from that generation have already "left the building" and have gone on. I would like to see some kind of definitive project that solidifies Rory's place in musical history and in the era that now, looking back, had much more richness and depth to it than I realized at the time, than most of us who remember the 50s-60-70s realized at the time. And Rory was in the eye of the cultural storm then. A musician's musician, and deserves to be remembered. A biopic, a retrospective of some kind is in order, but if it happens I hope it will be something of which Rory could be proud.

I would really like to see some of the famous, notables, cover his music, and share some positive thoughts about him. To have Eric Clapton, Jimmy Page, Jeff Beck, Bob Dylan, Rory's contemporaries cover his music, along with some of the younger musicians that are doing his kind of music- the Raconteurs, the Black Keys, Jack White. Have Junior Wells and Buddy Guy cover Could've Had Religion, and credit it to Rory. Even the young ones we haven't heard yet, but are certainly on the horizon. 8-)
RobertaSparrow

Postby Annie Elliott » 01 Jul 2014, 12:47

Seeing that Rory is the greatest guitarist many people never heard of, I think the kind of project you're envisioning is something badly needed, not just for Rory fans but for musical history.
Last edited by Annie Elliott on 15 Jun 2015, 11:43, edited 1 time in total.
Annie Elliott

Postby Annie Elliott » 01 Jul 2014, 13:24

I was just thinking...the movie I watched called "A Band Called Death," about the African American punk rockers, so the one brother who basically spear-headed the band had passed on years before. The movie was made because some young hipsters discovered their awesome music and went in search of them. So a good example of the kind of thing that can be done even though one of the main players has left us, in fact it was a beautiful memorial.
Last edited by Annie Elliott on 15 Jun 2015, 11:44, edited 1 time in total.
Annie Elliott

Postby anniewithaj » 05 Jul 2014, 19:29

I must agree with Capo about Ghost Blues! Beautiful, well done documentary about Rory. It was on Netflix streaming for a while. One day I sat down to watch for the 12th time and Netflix had taken it down. If anyone hasn't seen it it's well worth a little effort to track down.

There is another documentary called Out of Ireland: From a Whisper to a Scream. It follows the music scene in Ireland from the 1950's on. Rory is featured in this one although much footage seems to have been borrowed from Ghost Blues. For me, very interesting learn more about Ireland.

Word of warning! There's another documentary with the same title Out of Ireland that's about immigration. I'm sure it's a wonderful doc but not the one I'm talking about.
anniewithaj

Postby RobertaSparrow » 05 Jul 2014, 19:40

Ghost Blues

RobertaSparrow

Return to Rory Gallagher's Official Forum ~ Welcome