What Song Did You Wish Rory Had Performed Live?

Rory Fans ~ New members checkout updated forum rules.. here before posting please
Forum rules
styles/rules.png

LOOSE TALK ~ Moderator Team..
Cynthia Armento (RobertaSparrow) (USA) John Ganjamie (roryfan) (USA) JJ Joyce (Jay Jay) (UK) Jim Petrover (JimLED) (Ukraine).
© RORY GALLAGHER LOOSE TALK 2013

Re: What Song Did You Wish Rory Had Performed Live?

Postby RobertaSparrow » 10 Jun 2014, 00:32

Madrid74 wrote:I don't know if this song was played live, up to now I haven't found any vid .

Excellent choice! I forgot that one, such lovely imagery, and sentiment. No, I don't think I ever saw him do that one. He should have worked it into his sets, it would have evolved, and who knows what he could have done with it. He had his favorites, that's for sure, and he never did any of them exactly the same way twice.

And that song brings him to mind, I hear it and I think of him that way now, surrounded by light and protected by the love of the ones who knew him.
RobertaSparrow

Postby woodeye2000 » 10 Jun 2014, 02:32

I just listened to it. I remember this song well. It is a great song. There is a jazzy feel to "There's a Light," ala "Cross Me Off Your List." I dig the chords and the tone. Surely it would have lots of possibilities in a set list, contrasting with some boogie numbers. Thanks, Madrid, for sharing this audio refreshment. I enjoyed it thoroughly.
woodeye2000

Postby RobertaSparrow » 11 Jun 2014, 00:40

I don't think there is any tape of him performing overnight bag. Bittersweetness set to song. Cheerful melody but mournful, regretful lyrics. Song for sad goodbyes.

RobertaSparrow

Postby Madrid74 » 11 Jun 2014, 01:27

RobertaSparrow wrote:I don't think there is any tape of him performing overnight bag. Bittersweetness set to song. Cheerful melody but mournful, regretful lyrics. Song for sad goodbyes.

Roberta here you have it, at least the audio

And also appears on The Osaka Jam Sessions, one of my favourite bootlegs. Have to admit that I really enjoy rehearsals, creation on progress ;)
Madrid74

Postby RobertaSparrow » 11 Jun 2014, 03:47

Thank You! and I love that photo that starts the clip.
RobertaSparrow

Postby Madrid74 » 17 Jun 2014, 00:10

I'm quite sure this song was never played live. Every time I hear it makes me dance.
A mid tempo with a funky rhythm that Rory composed as a tribute to Alexis Korner another great and not very known musician as well as a gentleman.
Oh yes Alexis Korner "father founder of the british blues" but who really know his music ???
Madrid74

Postby Annie Elliott » 18 Jun 2014, 15:26

I do like "Jukebox Annie" quite a lot, has anyone ever seen footage of him playing it?
Last edited by Annie Elliott on 15 Jun 2015, 11:54, edited 1 time in total.
Annie Elliott

Postby RobertaSparrow » 18 Jun 2014, 15:35

Annie Elliott wrote:
RobertaSparrow wrote:I

Take a load off Annie. Put the load right on me.

I am not now, nor have I ever been, Annie Elliott. And I have NEVER EVER posted on this site under any name other than Roberta Sparrow. My real name is Cynthia Armento. I have a Facebook Page.

LOL, Cynthia! Some days I'm not even Annie Elliott. :lol:

Anyway, I do like "Jukebox Annie" quite a lot, has anyone ever seen footage of him playing it?

That was when I was in the throes of a white-hot anger, with a side of hurt feelings and betrayal. But it's over now, lesson learned and onward.
RobertaSparrow

Postby vasdis » 18 Jun 2014, 17:40

Alexis Korner is probably better known for his input with C.C.S (Combined Consciousness Society) who's hit version of Led Zeppelins Whole Lotta
Love was used for many years as the theme tune for the then excellent Top Of The Pops.He was also pretty much involved with the introduction
of The Rolling Stones after they played with him in their earlier years.
vasdis

Postby RobertaSparrow » 19 Jun 2014, 05:14

I was trying to find a live version of Alexis, and of course didn't find one. Then I saw this one, I always liked this one, very definite American country-western flavor to it, but pure Rory. Very happy tune. So many of Rory's later songs had varying themes of sadness, despair. But there was a lot of unbridled happiness and joy in a lot of his earlier work. I don't think I ever heard him play this one live.

RobertaSparrow

PreviousNext

Return to Rory Gallagher's Official Forum ~ Welcome